Satellite phone?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

steve miller

Satellite phone?

Post by steve miller »

I've been thinking about one for years. If I'm gonna go offshore in a 26' boat, I oughta have one!!

I'm wondering which carriers/systems are better, and which to avoid.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Steve
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have Globalstar. Works most of the time very well. I have a docking station for it. The hand set sits in it. The hand set alone is ok but dont let one drop of water touch it or its all over. As I always say " ask me how I know".
Tom

Post by Tom »

Globalstar had some satellite issues for a couple of years and they forced me to change. I've had Iridium for 18 months and it has never failed me. I use it to check in and make sure my picks get registered. Hope I never have to use it for more than that.-T
Viva la Presidente!
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

I googled sat phone service after posting; they had a great article on it, how there's only four providers, and how only two of 'em are appropriate for the occasional user in the U.S. They mentioned Globalstar's problems. Also how Irridium had gone bankrupt and had been bought out for a tiny fraction of what they had invested in all the satellites. It went on to say that they would be in really good shape for at least two years, when they would have to start replacing their satellites.

Now just need to find a decently priced phone & minutes. I've seen some great deals on eBay.
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

If you only fish offshore occasionally why not rent one. It would be cheaper in the long run.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Renting is great. My Dad rents one when he travels with my Mom to strange places.
Bill Mckinnon

Sat Phone

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

I am considering getting one. Have looked at the plans but they seem a little pricey for limited use. Had one when i was working in the Carribean and it worked great.

Captain Bill McKinnon
Charleston SC
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Thanks for the feedback! I hate the idea of renting because of the possibility of having to pay brand-new price if I break it; or (very high) insurance rates to protect it.

Globalstar is right on the brink of having much better service, they have been launching new satellites and are scheduled to launch more. You can buy a brand new Globalstar phone for less than $300, and then buy a 600 min. per year plan for $600 with any extra minutes costing .99. Other per-year plans are much less per minute if you buy more minutes. Also the sound quality is supposedly considerably better than Iridium's. I believe the quality of Globalstar's service has gotten better of late.

Iridium's phones are over $1,000 and the minutes are quite pricey. Globastar has lowered pries to retain/attract customers due to poor service, but has upgraded it's system. I think I might just go with Globalstar; it makes a lot more sense $$$-wise.

I'm still interested in hearing anyone else's experience.
steve miller

Update!!!

Post by steve miller »

I just bought a Qualcomm GSP1600 sat phone (for Globalstar) on eBay. New, in the box.......$119. The guy has a few more, if anyone is interested.

At that price, why rent?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Steve, before the satellite issues, Globalstar was great for me from the Gulf to Panama to mid pacific. If they return close to that, its a great service and considerably cheaper than Iridium. I prefer the Iridium's sound and clarity over the good Globalstar but certainly that's bound to change.
Viva la Presidente!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Tom - shoot me an email about the deck pipe. royvictor@cox.net

UV
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Tom wrote:Steve, before the satellite issues, Globalstar was great for me from the Gulf to Panama to mid pacific. If they return close to that, its a great service and considerably cheaper than Iridium. I prefer the Iridium's sound and clarity over the good Globalstar but certainly that's bound to change.
Tom,
I had heard about that, sounded pretty grim. I hope the new satellites they have launched do the job.

You said you needed yours so your "picks" could be registered. "Picks"? Tell us more!!!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Steve,
Do they have any minute plans where you can pre-pay for the minutes and not lose them after a year? If so, I'd be interested in getting one.
Thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

I don't think you can go wrong with that price!

My electronics dealer in Mystic used to say he didn't sell EPIRBs because you should buy them online. If it doesn't work, its not like you are going to be taking it back...

But the phone you can test on land and make sure it works fine!

Let us know if it works!

D
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

Steve

Second on let us know how it works. For that price I don't blame you for buying one.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

JohnCranston wrote:Steve,
Do they have any minute plans where you can pre-pay for the minutes and not lose them after a year? If so, I'd be interested in getting one.
Thanks.
John.
John,
They have a bunch of different plans, I suggest Googling "Globalstar service plans" or the like. You can take your pick of monthly, or yearly plans. $600 gets you 600 minutes for one year. $780 gets you 1800 min per year plus texting & voicemail. So....new phone plus 1800 minutes for under 1K. Not bad.... ;)

Dug,
I think new in the box will probably work. I read up a little, they have launched six satellites, are launching more, and expect to regain pre-2007 service by the Summer
coolair

Post by coolair »

i have a global star, unlimited min. 25 bucks month
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Matt at that price why would anyone have a cell phone?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I see on globalstars website the phone is $500 and an unlimited voice plan is $19.99. That seems to be a promotion for the first year, how much is it after the one year term?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

MarkS wrote:Matt at that price why would anyone have a cell phone?
They're fairly heavy and have a huge(ish) antenna.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

I didn't see any unlimited minute plans for that cheap....I'll hafta look again. It seems like the sat phone is now within range of the regular guy.

Ok, I looked......they do have a mighty cheap unlimited rate. IF you buy a new phone for $500. So, for around $800, a brand new phone and unlimited minutes for a year. Hmmmmm.

Hey! Does anyone want to buy a new, in-the-box sat phone?????? 8)
coolair

Post by coolair »

I paid like 250 for the phone, and its 19.99 plus tax for 24.99
John call Telemar in pasadena. thats where i got mine, i think my phone is used or refurbished, i forget but it gets the job done, no contract no nothing
but as far as why not only phone.. its big and has a big antenna that doesnt work inside the truck. My brother keeps his in a cradle on his boat like someone else was talking about and works pretty well, he calls me all the time when he is out.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

I think that it might be possible to get the cheap unlimited rate even if you don't buy their phone, as long as you're new customer. Anyone know whether or not that's true?
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Brewster, I was reading on another site about a class action suit against Globalstar, it's supposed to be close to trial . I did not read too much on to it since I don't even own a cell phone.
Does anyone remember what a car phone was? How times have changed.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

steve miller wrote:I think that it might be possible to get the cheap unlimited rate even if you don't buy their phone, as long as you're new customer. Anyone know whether or not that's true?
It IS true!!!

Satellite Phones Direct, LLC
302 Research Drive, Ste. 150
Norcross, GA 30092
Toll Free: 888-684-3323
Phone: 770-449-6826
Fax: 770-449-6828

I spoke with Victor at SPD, got some of the best customer service EVER. There was a problem with the phone having been registered before I bought it. Victor called me two or three times to make sure things were going good. All I needed to do was fax an application sheet to Satellite Phones Direct, they took care of the rest. $19.99 per month unlimited, for one year. Sweet..... will see if they get their service back up to snuff like they are promising.