Gas Sniffer recommendation - Gas Explosion - Delray Beach

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Gas Sniffer recommendation - Gas Explosion - Delray Beach

Post by SteveM »

We just had a boat explode a few days ago near here. 2 injuries one death.

We are restoring the '73 SF and it's in the yard right now.

What is everyone's recommendation on a gas sniffer. Brand/Type/Model, etc.

Thanks for the advice.
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-0 ... -boat-body
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

When I was a kid, my job was to sniff the bilge before the engines were started. The habit stuck and has never failed yet.
Carl

Post by Carl »

A few companies make 'em. Guest comes to mind.

For me that thing on the front of your face works best. Just stick it in the Bilge and inhale...hardly ever needs a recalibration.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Diesel don't boom.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve,

Guest seems to put forth a good product, but I agree with the above comments that there's no sniffer like your own sniffer. I had a regular routine with my gas 31 that carried over to the diesel (but w/out blowers). When I stepped on the boat, I turned on the blowers, fully opened both engine boxes, opened the deck hatches and began my visual inspection of the bilges and engine compartment (which included the nose job). I would check the bilge pump float switches, check the oil, look for oil/fuel/coolant drips, loose hose clamps, etc. I then lifted the companionway hatch to check the float switch in the forward bilge. By the time the checklist was complete, the blowers had been running at least 5 minutes. I always started the engines with the boxes still open, and then re-checked the engines to be sure the belts were running smoothly and no fuel/oil/water leaks. Give us a report on your progress. I plan to be down your way in late Feb, so if she's still stateside I'll come by for a tour.

Tommy
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Tommy, the boat will still be here in Feb. for sure. Look me up when you come to town.
Steve Marinak
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
Xantrex is the most common sniffer/detector that I see when surveying, FireBoy and Guest also make detectors. While your doing things over or upgrading don't forget to put in battery operated smoke/CO detectors. They had them on sale at Home Depot this week for $29.00, both battery operated separate units made by Kidde Fire Appliance Co. New regulations require all new and refitted vessels with a cabin must have smoke and CO detectors.
Are you going to be around the boat this weekend? I might stop by if you are. Call me after 10:00 AM in the morning, I have PT until then. 561-310-7179 cell.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Pete, I will be heading over to the yard this morning. May be there Sunday as well.
Steve Marinak
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Millions of gas boats out there and very few explosions, what does that tell you?

Darwin has a way of taking care of his own.

Don't screw with the engine or electrical system when fueling, don't have anyone stay inside an enclosed cabin when fueling.

The most inportant sniffer is between your ears.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Not to add anything profound to this string but I always do a simple routine when I first board a boat that I feel is an absolute necessity, especially on gas boats, upon starting or after refueling.. but even on diesels..

Open the hatches and sniff the bilge.

Check oil, coolant, and battery fluid levels.

Check bilge water level, check bilge pump float switches for function.

Check raw water strainers for weeds, jellyfish, junk.

Close and open raw water thru hull valves to be sure they are free (in case you lose a hose you want to be sure you can close them quickly and easily! You might have to depend on your wife or a child to do this, so make it easy for them!)

Look around for any oil or coolant stains that might indicate leaks.

Take a general look around, anything loose, out of place, unusual?

Turn on house and engine battery main switches.

Only if all is OK start the engines.

Overkill, maybe. Paranoid, maybe. Safety conscious, absolutely.

Pretty much every year you hear a couple of reports of gas boats exploding or diesel boats having fires. Explosions in gas boats often after taking on fuel or upon startup.

How many would have been prevented if the operator had done the above simple checks?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Pilots have check lists, even though they do their job everyday.

We all should have a written laminated checklist that we run through before and after each trip, that way your safety is repeatable no matter what head space you may be in.

Great book called The Checklist Manifesto that has changed the way we operate our business and how I operate any machine.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Leigh - I had the same job as a kid. A#1 sniffer.

IRguy - I have the same check list. To me this is just common sense, but I guess too many folks don't get it.

Floridaskater - I just bought the Fireboy m-r-1 fume detector and am installing this weekend. Got it from west marine and grout them an on-line web site offering same model for $117 and they matched the price. Saved about $40 that way.

This and co2 sensor saved our a$$ once about 25 yes ago. We were under way when the alarm went off. After shutting down and making preparations for fire or worse, we opened the engine covers. No gas smell. Aired it out with blowers and hatch open. Restarted the engines but no gas leak. However, the exhaust hose on one of the engines had ruptured. The build up of fumes set off the alarm. No real threat of explosion but the rush of exhaust water that was filling the bilge raised our eyeballs!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I saw this exploded boat from Delray out of the water yesterday.
The running gear had at least a years growth on it which gives a general overall condition of the boat. While it's always good to review safety procedures, you can't prevent Darwin from claiming his own.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Bruce is that the boat in murells under in the open bay?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Be careful where you mount the sensors. They may have changed them , but a few years ago if you hit them with a mist of water it would kill them!! Be careful washing the bilge too!! It didn't take much.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

The abbacos are 180 mi away, u can't keep your nose in both engine compartment for the whole trip, the sniffer is a sense of security, I recently installed fire suppression and auto/ manual fuel shutoffs for my diesels, also have 3hi water audible/visual alarms, got the 3water tight compartments, these items are routine on larger craft, hard to be to cautious, I have had all these devices become activated at some time in my boating experience, hauled out a few fairly new gas boats that exploded when I was in the marina business
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

when i was i kid i saw a old wooden boat with bridge blow, all the people on board got off in time including the dog, wife had a broken leg and they thru her off also, after everyone got to shore she blew, the bridge must of traveled 50' in the air, all the houses on the water had broken windows from the explosion, somthing you dont forget.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Spencer,
Yes it is. A private fire investigator was working on it the other day probably for the insurance company.

And yes to do any good the sensors have to be low in the bilge and if they get wet they malfunction.

Fire suppression system is at the least required on gas in my opinion and like my dad had me do on all our gas boats until he got diesel on long trips was open the hatches and smell and look every half hour.

If all systems are in good shape and well maintained the chances of something happening are nill.

Years ago I was called to Sailfish marina where an old bastard just filled up his gas boat.............thru his rod holder.

After putting in more than 10 gallons over what it should have took, he decided to investigate and found a bilge full of 45 gallons of gasoline.

Since his bilge pump was broken, the gas stayed put.

I never forget the look on everyones face waiting for the dumb shit climbing on the boat to blow himself up.

I opened the engine hatch, disconnected the battery and removed it killing all the electrical and potential spark.
Pumped all the gas out in buckets and then washed the bilge with soap and pumped it out.

Put the battery back in, hooked up and started the engine then filled the tank myself.

Easiest 2 grand I ever made for an hours work.
Last edited by Bruce on Jan 20th, '11, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I have to open the hatch between the engines to activate the electric power. So I make sure I sniff as long as I'm there.
I also check the oil level on each engine and the fresh water cooling level at the same time.
So far things are working out pretty good!
A/K/A El Gaupo