help- windshield gasket B-20 bahia mar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

boatdetective

help- windshield gasket B-20 bahia mar

Post by boatdetective »

Hey folks- I'm tearing apart my baby bertram and was wondering how to tackle the windshield. The glass is good, but the frame looks like hell. I'm going to have to paint it. Obviously, I would prefer to strip the whole thing down and paint the frame separately. Does anyone know if the gasket material is available?
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Boatdective,
Is it the old gray bulb seal on the opening windows, it fits into the groove in the aluminum frame?. It is availible, I got mine at the local Window Doctor Store here in Stuart Florida. Mine is black to match the painted windows on my boat,(31 Express) I don't think it is availible in gray anymore. It's not cheap almost $4.00 a foot. I replaced mine in all 4 opening windows, it cut down the window leaks by 90%.
If its the white vinyl seal at the base of the windshield I think Taylor Made still makes it.
Let me know how much you need I'll see if The Window Doctor has it in stock, they are a 1/2 mile from my house. Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
boatdetective

Pete, is that you?

Post by boatdetective »

Is this the Peter Fallon formerly of Marblehead who hit it big and moved to FL to start Jupiter? I'm still here in the frozen North- surveying boats. Small world.

Thanks for the info. The windshield frame on the 20 Bahia mar is very thin- maybe 1/2". Mine is a 1970, and the gasket looks like hard black rubber. I haven't torn everything apart hyet, as i don't know how difficult it will be to find. The rub is that i may have to tear it apart in order to pinpoint the profile of the gasket. Argggh.

Jonathan Klopman
Jack

Post by Jack »

The moppie windshields were made by Taylor Mfg. I was able to get replacement gaskets from them when I redid mine. I would try them. Forget the number, but you can find it from their website.
unabashed hyena lover
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Jonathan,
It is the same guy, I sent you a PM on this site. Good to hear from you.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Jonathan -

I'm doing the same thing to a Bertram 20 Bahia Mar right now. We should compare notes...

ian'dot'upton'at'gm'dot'com

There is a continuing thread on the 25Bertram site.

http://simplifying.net/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0

I need to do the same thing with my windshield.

Ian.