Proper Aluminum fuel tank installation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Matt29

Proper Aluminum fuel tank installation

Post by Matt29 »

I am the proud new owner of my first boat, a B28. It has 350's and the original glass tank. I knew going into it that I would have to replace the tank this winter, and have searched extensively online for info the pros/cons of glass vs aluminum tanks. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Aluminum, but have yet to find a definitive and supported method of correct installation. I have read Capt McCrary's building tip and David Pascoe's advice on his website. I find extensive information online supporting/discrediting both, and I am unable to come to a definitive answer on how to install the tank...foam or no foam. And in either case, is there a minimum grade of aluminum and welding material that I should consider when shopping for the tank? Again, I understand the extensive discussions on this topic, and I have read them all, but I am not yet convinced on one or the other. Any advice or experience to put this debate to end would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am new to the Toms River area in NJ and was wondering if some of you could recommend a reasonable and reliable mechanic or fiberglass guy. Thanks in advance for your support.
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

If I was in the market for a fuel tank, I would contact Danny @ High Tide Marine and check out their fiberglass tank. With fiberglass you don't have the worries of corrosion or cracks which lead to leaking fuel.

Just my .02 centavos.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Matt29

New FB tank

Post by Matt29 »

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. I did contact Danny for a few quotes. He was very responsive and helpful. I got a quote at $3800 for a new 165gal tank. It seems a bit much compared to the Aluminum, and I like the idea of getting a custom tank with some added capacity. Now, it's just a matter of how to install it. I am willing to accept the fact that I will need to replace the tank in 10 yrs or so. Thanks, Matt
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Matt, had my 28 done this past season.Baywood marina did the install and it came out ok.The tank was made at S&P in Toms River who i cannot recommend.
Bill G.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bill

How is everything? I was going to give Frank a call since I thought you and he used S&P. I guess most of the yards by us use them. My yard is actually trying to talk me out of going diesel and just doing the tank. They said they could get S&P to make one up at a fair price. I told them I thought you guys had issues but that I was going to check. Now you confirmed it so if I decide not to repower I am going to do some hunting around for another tank manufacturer in our area. Tony Meola
Hyena Love

Alum Tanks

Post by Hyena Love »

Don't know about foam or no foam.

I did an aux. tank about five years ago that I coated with that coal tar epoxy stuff. The tank sits on the ratty piece of plywood in the belly where the water tank was previously.

Five years later, the coating looks great. Now, the whole tank may be going to pot under the coating, but you sure can't tell by the outside. The stuff seems almost bullet proof.
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

Here at the marina when we replace a tank we attach 1/2 inch poly strips athwart to the bottom of the tanks about six inches apart to keep the area under the tank dry and breathable. I think using foam just collects moisture and cuts the life expectance of the tank.

Keep Smilin
Matt29

Post by Matt29 »

Bill,

Do you mind me asking why you "cannot" recommend S&P for an aluminum tank? Quality? Customer service? I was planning on going with them. Do you have any advice on what to watch out for, or any other places around here that make a quality tank?

Thanks for the info,
Matt
John B

Post by John B »

I used S&P for my tank and they are top shelf. Very please with fabrication and turn -around time. :D
frankf

Proper Aluminum Fuel Tank Installation

Post by frankf »

Matt....Bill G. and I are good friends and adjacent slip neighbors at Baywood Marina in Brick. We both had our B28 tanks replaced this year. I agree with his comments above. I'd be happy to show you the installation if you'd like. Call me on my cell...201-970-1301.

Frank
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Matt, be happy to talk to you give me a yell 732-935-7600

Bill G.
Matt29

Post by Matt29 »

Alright, the rudders are in, bulkhead rot repaired, and ready to put the gas tank in. Trouble is, when I got the tank, there were no fittings except for the elbow for the fill. So, I've got threaded holes to the pickup and I don't know what type of metal to thread in there and connect to the bronze shutoff valves and then rubber fuel lines. My concerns are stripping the aluminum threads, and dissimilar metals leading to corrosion. What type of fitting do you guys recommend and where do you think best to get that kind of stuff. Thanks again in advance for the support. I've come along way with the help and support of the crew on this site. Thank you, I'm almost there.
Thanks,
Matt
Keeping my hands full and my wallet empty.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I'm getting the same exact tank(for my 31) from Richard Kidd. Richard is a site sponsor and that's good enough for me. Also the choice of the new fiberglass instead of aluminum was endorsed personally over the phone to me by Capt. Patrick. In his words....."fiberglass has no welds for you to worry about." Also taken into account was that the fuel fill and pickups are in the original "stock" locations making for easy connections after the install. Will be giving Richard the money at the AC Rencezvous and taking delivery sometime in the fall.
Harv
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I have a 65 gal aux. tank just forward of the engine bulkhead. I should of said "had". It was made from alluminum, coal tar all over and looked great from the outside.

It lasted 14 yrs.

It let go during winter storage. The gas was in the bilge and dripping out the forward drain plug. After all the remaing gas was pimped(pumped) out, I filled it with water and it didn't leak. But UV sent me a pressure tester and at five lbs, it leaked.

Taking or cutting the top off, you could see the corrision. The water sitting on the bottom inside of the tank did the job.

And that's my story ....
A/K/A El Gaupo
Charlie

Aluminum tanks

Post by Charlie »

Bill and Frank are just too nice. S&P would have a hard time finding their a$$ with the paper. They had the exact tanks to copy and they got it wrong. Very very wrong.
If you need any help give me a call. Try to make it to the Rendezvous in Atlantic City July 20th. Several 28B's will be there as will about 30 other classic Bertrams. I use to own a 28B; but now take of a 35B.
Oh welcome aboard!!!!
Charlie
732-477-7210
MikeD@Lightningshack

Aluminum Fabicators

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

http://www.stollenwerk.com/

I selected these guys over S&P and two others in NJ.

They fabricated both of my tanks. Their pricing was good, and they made exactly what I asked for, as opposed to others who didn't seem to be capable of reading a set of engineering drawings for a simple tank.

I had one guy flat out tell me that I didn't know how to design a tank because I was using too heavy of a gauge aluminum, and it was completely unessessary. Even if he was correct, he convinced me real quick that he didn't want my buisness. According to him 1/8" thick was as thick as you should ever use! I wanted 3/16" and that was the dumbest thing he ever heard. I figure his shear or break probably could barely handle the 1/8".

If you know what you want, I would recommend Stollenwerk. Competive pricing and timely delivery. Bare in mind, I didn't have them design the tank, and I don't think they are geared for doing that. S&P and others are. If you are not going to spend the time to specify every dimension, material, and gauge, you may want to stick with an outfit that focuses exclusively on marine fuel tanks.

Mike
www.lightningshack.com