http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CC8Q9QEwBg

Peter
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Best I've ever seen, by far.

UV
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

The hull at the transom looks like it comes to too much of a 'point' not as rounded as the real thing. Regardless, much more talent than I have.

Anyhow, this was built out of more than 1 pc of wood... what do you say Randall?

Ian.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Fantastic work! As a humble woodworker I take my hat off to someone with talent like this guy and Randall!

I never noticed before that the prop shafts are at such a pronounced down angle.

You could build a full sized boat from this model!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
coolair

Post by coolair »

i want one !
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

That is a beautiful model. Put me down for one too. This guy could probably sell a bunch of these if he could create a mold from the original.

JR
scot

Post by scot »

Nice, without a doubt you are a pro at the model building craft. I would say you nailed it. There is some serious man hours in that model and it shows, again very nice.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Peter

Post by Peter »

Just to be perfectly clear... I did not make that model.

I have made some half models and I take particular pride in getting the hull for EXACTLY like the lines, including in some cases the "cheats"used when lofting the real thing.... but I am just not at the level this modeler is in deck hardware, interior details, and so on.

I'm glad you all enjoyed seeing it. It really is very cool. I did see at the bottom of his page ther are in deed ordering details, but I know nothing of him or his reputation. I only found his web site by accident.

Interestingly enough, he is out inSoCal where Bertrams are not as prevelent. Out there anything as old as a Bert is an Antique! And who wants an antique when you can buy a new boat.... :wink: (Sorry LA dwellers, I have to poke a little fun when I can!)

Peter
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

On the other hand I just got the new issue of Southern Boating with a feature on "sport cruisers".....now talk about Hyena Boats.....got to be the biggest gaggle of Clorox bottles and Butt-Ugly floating garbage cans ever in one singe magazine issue. Most of them cost over a million bucks and ain't worth the C-4 it would take to blow them up, and it would not take much....if fact, you could probably toss a beer can thru most of the hulls....one particular offending pile of guano lists its specs down to how many watts the stereo puts out, but fails to mention what kind of engines the tubb has.

But some things never change, a fool and his money soon part.

UV, the disgusted.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Its close, real close. The bridge needs to rounded a little more up front in the corners and the engine box's aren't quite right but it is close. It is pretty.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I was just checking out his page again and saw the builder is frome Maine, not SoCal.

That sort of seems more in character with this type of work, no disrespect to So Cal crowd, but ship models (or in this case serious boat models) seem more like a Maine-iac kind of craft.

I wish we had a better look at the Bertram logo's on the fly bridge supports... How about one of those for a lapel pin or a tie tack?

Peter
Major

Post by Major »

Ive always wanted to build a scale model of the 28 bertram. I wouldnt even know where to start with getting the hull shape right though. Having some machine tool training with a touch of perfectionist i would kill myself with the details and over measuring.

Its good to see people are still taking the time to do more custom one off type models. Im not old by any means but i remember models in general being much more popular 10 or 15 years ago.
Walt

Re: Scale Model of a 31

Post by Walt »

Hi everybody,

I would like to wake up an old chat about scale models on the Bertram 31. I’ve been looking around a lot and not many seem to make them with impressive quality. One company that’s based out of Miami have been in the market for a long time. I know it’s a lot of money for one of these scale models, but for me based out of Stockholm, Sweden the season is short and I really would like one during winter.
Do you guys think there would be an interest on our forum to make a larger order of custom models on our beloved one's from Abordage. He seems to make the best models on the market including interiors. His first price was USD 1950 for one without tunatower, but when I asked for one to my friend here in Stockholm with a 31 we could have it for 1600. He said that if we put a common order for 5 pieces he could go down to USD 1400 for base model with interior.

So, anyone interested in discussing with Mr Denis Cartier at Abordage to have our 19” custom models at a reduced price?

http://www.abordage.com/custom-models/c ... a-hog.html

Cheers
Walther
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Walt wrote:So, anyone interested in discussing with Mr Denis Cartier at Abordage to have our 19” custom models at a reduced price?

http://www.abordage.com/custom-models/c ... a-hog.html
Have you seen the cheaper ($399 - presumably smaller) version he has for sale?

http://www.abordage.com/fine-ship-model ... am-31.html
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

That smaller one looks like it's a 31 topside set on some other boats hull.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Walt

Post by Walt »

The smaller one is 12" and was made for Bertram Anniversary. This one is without windows and interior.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Walt

Sorry you missed out on the half hulls we had done. The site chipped in and procured the half mold and had made to order models made. I believe they were all sold.

I think 1,400 for the model is steep. I know a lot of time goes into them, but I am not sure the hull is accurate.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Walt

Post by Walt »

Yeah, the halfhull and transom Models are nice, but I really would like a full custom model similar to mine. Agree that the model is not perfect but the one they show seems to be really good. I spoke to Tod Dunn Microyachts and he no longer make these models. It would have been nice to see this model live.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Walt ,
Have two left, just sent one off to Bertramp. If one could take the time to replicate the other half and make a mold....who has a digitizer? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Walt

Post by Walt »

Hi Bob,

Do you have a pic of the halfhull?

Cheers
Walther
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Can't it be printed from a 3d printer?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Walther,
Here is a pic of the half model on the right is out of the mold on the left sanded out. Mold is getting long in the tooth and has a few spiders. But it is the original!BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Walt

Post by Walt »

Beautiful!