Moriches Bay

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ed Curry

Moriches Bay

Post by Ed Curry »

Anyone have information on the best course through Moriches Bay? I'll be heading out Thursday and plan to get the rising tide around 11:00am, but that area scares me. I haven't been there in a while but I remember boats getting stuck in the channel at low tide.
See ya in Greenport.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
jspiezio

Re: Moriches Bay

Post by jspiezio »

Ed Curry wrote:Anyone have information on the best course through Moriches Bay? I'll be heading out Thursday and plan to get the rising tide around 11:00am, but that area scares me. I haven't been there in a while but I remember boats getting stuck in the channel at low tide.
See ya in Greenport.
Yes, out through FI inlet and back in at Shinecock.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes i would run outside ed, iam planninig to leave at 7 am tomorro, hoping to be at shinnecock by 10, hope this wind lays down she has to be blowing 20 now out of the south, see you out there
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I would go outside like they said. It might be a little sporty but better than buying new props.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

ed
get a hold of dick dean, i think hes leaving on thur also.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

cmon guys somebody has to know the way . we have a 45' cabo that the owner latch on to that took him thru the moriches inlet from the west . he did not go north to those buoys off the cc station that follow around to the east side of the inlet . he said he came to a buoy very close to the fire island (national seashore) side then went diagonal a short distance and turn into the west side of the inlet .eddie draws 4' of water ! some body has to be familar with that narrow channel.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i will not run it.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I would not do it. Maybe on a paddle board.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I remember my uncle putting the little boat aground making that same trip.
Harv
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

for me that is 34 miles out of the way.last year i came in thru moriches and went all the way around to the east then north following the buoy line on the gps . all well and good for return trip but this year i wanted to go from oakdale yacth thru moriches inlet mainly to learn. i understand charts can be way off like fire island inlet at present basicly you have to go when sun is shining and put the gps on"track" and go directly by blue water/yellow water .after you have a track stay right on it every time. i wanted to establish this at moriches.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Hey Dick, are you out there? Call me 631-258-6804. If this wind keeps up FI inlet will be just as much fun as Moriches Bay.
Hey Charlie this is more of a South West wind and the bay was rolling tonight. It should blow you all the way Shinnicock. If I can get any good intell I'm going to run inside since the tide is favorable but so far the smart money says to stay clear. Thanks for the input.
Anyone else travelling Thursday?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ed that channel at moriches is showed on the chart of moriches bay. quite narrow but wide enough for a 45' cabo at slow speed.take a look on a chart and tell us what you think.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Ed,
If you run with the tide, you will not have a problem. Watch the channel that runs to the north from the old channel from bouy 24 through 30 in Moriches. Keep the speed down and read the water. Also, watch your speed in the Quogue Canal. The local police enforce the 5 mph speed.
Harry
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Will do Bob. If the channel is where the charts or buoys say it is I'll try it. If I remember correctly, there was a problem last year around buoy 25? and the channel took a turn all the way to the north and ran along the mainland.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ed the marine forcast for near shore from fire island inlet to shinnencock inlet is winds out of sw 15 kns. seas 4 to 6' and fog for thruday morning.we have to find a way to moriches inlet inside with ladies aboard.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

bob lico wrote:ed the marine forcast for near shore from fire island inlet to shinnencock inlet is winds out of sw 15 kns. seas 4 to 6' and fog for thruday morning.we have to find a way to moriches inlet inside with ladies aboard.
Bob,

I understand you have women aboard, but, 4 to 6 aint nothing. Ask Charlie, when you see him, about the run we made from Mannesquan back to Jones, we did travel inside from Atlantic City to Mannesquan. You can ask Charlie about that too. I had made 2 posts on the old bulletin board, but can no longer bring them back up, and like a fool, I never printed copies of the posts....they were classic. I'll tell you about it though, when I see you.
Harv
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harv.
sorry to say she has R.A extremely fragile .every joint is pain and suffering. you know for sure i do 30knots in that weather with just son/son in law.we have shock absorber on two seats on bridge and great cushions on motor hatches. i cannot bring up old post either . i wanted to show jp my boat with trim tabs and 6cyl. 250 hp yanmars or the first time i bought her with 504 cummins other then cosmetic changes with and without tabs in following sea.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

So far my information says to stay away from buoy 27, hit 26 and head directly to 28. The howdy boat crowd also say to remain on plane and blow past any slower boats that get in your way, so we will that kind of hazard to be aware of as well. Lucky for us there shouldn't be alot of them out there tomorrow.
I have a call into Tow Boat Us. I explained the situation to them and the area captain is supposed to give me the info so I can post it for everyone. Thank you Johann of Tow Boat US Moriches.

I'll post up the information as I get it
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ed i sat with my friend at sea tow fire island inlet and he put ime in contact with sea tow moriches. go to bouy 25 green from there the bay boaters will be going north you veer slightly south towards fire island the channel is marked and you will see two red buoys in a row first is # 6 keep both on right you are in the built up stone area of the inlet continiue south at mouth turn to starboard (west) along shore about 100 yards off after 1/2 mile turn her into the atlantic (south) go offshore 3/4 mile and start you run to to the east.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I think Ed is planning on running inside the whole way.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok ed i see you intend to stay inside all the way .buoy 26 and 28 tells me you are going around the north side.i came home that way last year .out shinnecock inlet and in moriches inlet . waiting for those bridges to open can be quite a bit of lost time .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Weather is going to be the determining factor as to which route I take but Joe is right I'm planning on the inside route. For anyone else who's going through Moriches Tow Boat US Shinnicock Moriches informed me that I should hit Moriches no earlier than 2:00pm Thursday as the high tide will be at 3:45.
The following notes made alot more sense to me when I was jotting them down then they do now however its the best information available to anyone who is going through that area, so here goes.
Buoy 15 to 29 are the areas of concern. Buoy 23 to the east is not charted(?) and buoy 27 is to be avoided. Starting at buoy 15 proceed to 17 then left to 18, past 21 follow channel to 24. Idle to 26 then look Northeast preferably through binocs since it's a long way to 28(remember to disregard 27)then proceed to buoy 29 where you should pick up the charted buoys. There is one spot where the shoaling in the channel has a depth of 2ft at low tide.
The number for Tow Boat in the area is 631-281-1246. They seem like nice folks.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Anything on the inside, east of Jones Inlet is getting scary....
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Well I have not been inside to moriches in 30 years. Gone from Oakdale for over 20 years. I'm amazed that the problems are still the same. I hope everyone has a safe trip.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Moriches Bay wasn't bad at all. The channel was clearly marked and at half tide and rising I had 4ft of water at the shallowest point. I was in less water coming in Fire Island inlet, which should get a thread of its own.
The information I got from Tow Boat Moriches was right on the money. The Tow Boat captain called me at home and gave me explicit instructions including which buoys to avoid and which direction to look to pick up the distant buoys. I wouldn't hesitate to transit the area again providing the tide was right.
The Rendezvous was a blast! Thanks for all the replies.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

extreme pucker factor driving at surf line along beach east of moriches inlet (only way in) .from ocean the view of moriches inlet is incredible with large white water surf from every direction breaking a 1/2 mile from inlet opening .you can reach out from starboard cockpit area and touch the jetty rocks on east wall as you come in. now you traverse inlet with wave trying to broach you and cross to west wall .then cut across south side of moriches bat with no buoys just a plotted course from fishing boat rossie .at night fall running 35mph for minumin draw . a little grumpling in the pit of your stomach. came home in the dark.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473