Bow Pulpit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Major

Bow Pulpit

Post by Major »

Sitting here thinking again and i was curious what all of your thoughts are on bow pulpits. Are they really a helpful addon or are they a hazard? Im also curious why they arnt profiled with a V shape at all on the bottom. I know i havent been in real rough seas but ive seen the bow go under or come close on other occasions while on boats and can picture that just snapping off. Then your left with whatever hole got ripped in the deck from the mount and you have a anchor pounding against the front of the hull.

So am i missing something here? I like they way they look and getting the anchor stowed easily and dropping it away from the the hull is great but do the downsides outweigh the upsides? I always thought that if i ever made one i would want to blend a V on the bottom coming from the hull into it to help displace water. Then again that may just look stupid and thats why noone did it. :)

Anyway let me know what yall think on the matter.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Would cost me an extra $145 per foot per year at the marina.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

A recent factor we have going on is that marinas are beginning to count pulpits and stern platforms in the overall length measurements of boats re prices for slips, hauling, shrink wrapping, etc. Just be advised. It was basically started when the multiple outboards on stern extensions started appearing on center consoles adding 3 to 5 feet to hulls.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Love mine.its pretty beefy.... & Ive dipped it a few times..
can stand on it at speed..., thrilling
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

http://www.butlermarine.com/AP_Fiberglass.shtml

I have the 48" fiberglass on mine. I would not go with out it now. Keeps the bow real clean looking and nothing to break a toe on such as the factory hold downs. Unclip the safety on the anchor and let it go! I hit a very large wake not too long ago with out letting off enough throttle and I had green water come and wash all the way to the top of the windows. I thought I had really done some damage but pulpit was all good. Not only that but the homemade LED set up in the factory chalk still worked! I would get a bit peaved if I were paying by the foot for dockage.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

There are stories about bow pulpits on cheap boats that have ripped off, taking a chunk of the foredeck with them, when the bow gets buried in choppy seas. If I am not mistaken I think Pascoe mentions this in one of his books.

Talk about ruining your day!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Check out the one made by Cabrera Yachts in Miami. I have one that was glassed into place and from what I hear, looks real cool. Get a harpoon and you'll look like Capt. Quint
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Face

Post by Face »

I purchased mine from Hightide Marine. While I haven't completed my restoration I love it already. Install it with full width backing plates and I can't imagine it ripping off.

http://www.hightidemarine.cc/pulpit.htm
John F.

Post by John F. »

I like mine. I'd try a low profile windlass next time though.

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

IRGuy wrote:There are stories about bow pulpits on cheap boats that have ripped off, taking a chunk of the foredeck with them, when the bow gets buried in choppy seas. If I am not mistaken I think Pascoe mentions this in one of his books.

Talk about ruining your day!

Still my guess about the Bert that sank a few months back........

Sorry for the hyjack, but did anyone ever get to the bottom of that (no pun intended).
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

the Bertram that sank had no pulpit, not even a anchor roller, windless, nothing
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Mike...

If you are talking about the 63' that went down in the NC, SC area, it is reported to have simply delaminated just aft of the bow.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Harv

Post by Harv »

I'm happy with my pulpit. Stuffed it on many occasions without a problem (that's why it has slots in it). I plan to move the spotlight and add an anchor roller during my restoration project. Still working on getting the little boat operational for sometime this year.
Harv
John F.

Post by John F. »

She looks good underway Harv.
coolair

Post by coolair »

john didnt you build yours?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
John F.

Post by John F. »

Matt-

Yeah. It was pretty easy to build, cheap, and its held up well. When I got the boat, it had a diamond plate steel pulpit (heavy and ugly) on it that had to go, and I needed a pulpit of roughly the same dimensions to cover up the marks and holes on the foredeck.

John
Major

Post by Major »

Yall have some great looking boats and i agree the pulpits do look good. I didnt think about the slip fees though. Right now that isnt an issue but who knows when it will be. Seems kind of like stretching the rule to include the rear platform and the pulpit. Too bad they dont just count wetted surface and leave it at that. Is that why you see some boats with flip up swim platforms? Before you know it we will see hinged pulpits with locking pins to keep it in the deployed position.

I like that idea of the slots cut in the pulpit. Also looking again at the pictures i dont know that there is enough mayerial to make a v shape really useful. Especially if you have the bow rail mounting up there. Do any of you have any pictures of that one from Cabrera? I wish they would update the site because it looks like they have some interesting (in a good way) ideas and products. Half the links dont work anymore. I wish they made more for the 28 too.
Harv

Post by Harv »

John,

When did you do away with the varnished teak?
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

John F. wrote:She looks good underway Harv.
They all do!!! That's why we love them!!
Harv
coolair

Post by coolair »

nice john

Hell they look good siting still!!!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854