Bertram 31 Bahia Mar info

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If this is any help, the Sportsfisherman with those engines should cruise at 24-25 kts. As far as the V-berths are concerned, you could put in a V-berth filler. That makes for a bigger platform but is probably best if the 3rd person is a kid. An adult can probably be best accommodated by doing something outside the V-berth area.
Last edited by In Memory Walter K on Jul 11th, '10, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

My father has been running a bahia mar for the last 8 years. He has 315 hp yanmars and can cruise over 30 knots. I am guessing you will have a normal cruising speed between 25-27 knots with the cummins depending on the weigh of the boat. We also have a filler for the v-berth but it still barely sleeps two even with the v-birth filler. Good luck.

Chris
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The Cummins 6BTA 270s are excellent engines, and perfect for the B31. They should be propped to top out with a full load at about 2650-2700 RPM and you can cruise them all day at 2400. Expeect 27-28 kts WOT and 24 or so cruise, with a 14-16 GPH fuel burn at cruise. I have the 250 hp versions in my B31 FBC and the motors are damn near bullet proof and will last forever with decent care. My engines are 1989 models and have thousands of trouble free hours on them...you can figure 10,000 hours before an overhaul, no kidding. There are a very few upgrades that are needed - if not already done - such as the raw water pump needs Tony Athens' aftermarket internal parts, but that is cheap and simple to do yourself. And replace the paper air filters with the S&B permanent ones..... The guys here will be happy to guide you thru all of it.

One huge advantage of the 250/270 6BTAs over the higher hp ones is that the aftercooler is cooled by engine coolant (anti-freeze) vs. sea water cooling on the higer hp models.....the sea water cooled aftercooler requires careful maintaince - a complicated disassembly - vs. none for the fresh water cooled ones on the 250/270s.

I always have preached that "the money's in the iron" on the B31s and the Cummins 250/270 is my favorite engine.

UV
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I have a '72 and like it very much. It's great not to go up the ladder/steps to the controls. And your always dry ( I suppose the helm is enclosed).
A/K/A El Gaupo
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I love mine because I am on deck. I can drive the boat and fish at the same time. No ladders. I cant see as well as a FB but have gotten use to it. Also I think mine rocks less without the weight of the bridge or because I am lower when driving.
Carl

Post by Carl »

The cabins on the 31's are tight...but if looking for more enclosed room look to the FBC and the Express...you can knock the dinette table down and get some extra sleeping room.

Then all you have to figure out is where to stow all the gear...
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Reel easy, Bahia Mar model makes a great shorthanded fishing machine, right there on deck when rod goes off, rides great, low center of gravity, tons of cockpit space. Im building a 66 with a pair of 330+ cummins, hardtop with enclosure, like riding in a tank...Right Brew..
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i have to agree with brew and bob, i have owned both the fbc and bahiamar presently, hands down for me and the type of fishing i do cant beat the bahia mar
scot

Post by scot »

Also, the v berth seems small. Can it be reconfigured to sleep more than two people? Lastly are there model years to stay away from?
Lots of boats on the market with more cabin than any of the Bertram 31's. In their day I don't think that was one of the main selling features, with the exception of the Express models.

In the 60s & 70s people did not expect to have a 50" TV on board, nor did they pitch a fit if they had to raise their voice to talk over the engines while sitting in the "salon". Not sure you would buy a classic 31 if cabin space was really high on the list.

Also, I have never heard any of these guys talking about "bad years". The early boats (early-mid 60s) have a thicker, heavier hull. Not sure of the exact year they started getting lighter?...one of these guys knows.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Carl

Post by Carl »

scot wrote:
Lots of boats on the market with more cabin than any of the Bertram 31's. In their day I don't think that was one of the main selling features, with the exception of the Express models.

In the 60s & 70s people did not expect to have a 50" TV on board, nor did they pitch a fit if they had to raise their voice to talk over the engines while sitting in the "salon". Not sure you would buy a classic 31 if cabin space was really high on the list.

The Express and FBC have the same cabin layout...just you drive from the Starboard bulkhead on the Express...in a similar fashion to the Bahia Mar.
Great when fishing short-handed...although on a busy day that step up and down from the motor box can get tiring.

These boats are meant to play outside with some room inside for the basics...some storage, eat, sleep and bladder n bowel relief. I kind of think of it like camping in a tent...you go in the tent to sleep, to get out of the rain..store some stuff...but your meant to play outside.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Just have to say that I love my Bahia Mar. Simple and easy to fish all by myself. As for extra sleeping, I have the berth filler also, but it's still basically good for only 2 people, especially if one of them is my size. One option is to buid a filler, I sometimes use my large cooler, and place it between the engine boxes. Then throw an air mattress across everything and voila, extra sleeping space.
Harv
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I had a FBC years ago, also a great boat ... but I love the BAHIA. No snaking of cables, easy to single hand and if kept simple (ie .. no generator or air) its like a big center console. Reality is that most are not super comfortable "living" in the interior of a FBC either.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly