Small project supply sources

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Major

Small project supply sources

Post by Major »

Ive thought about making a fiberglass rear stock for an AK and thought about using the coosa board from all ive read on here. I was looking for a good, strong core to make it lighter and i could glass over with a few layers of glass. I dont know which one i would use yet. My issue is i dont see anyone selling a somewhat small piece of coosa board. Do any of you know where i can order some smaller pieces or any other cores that may work good?

I was going to use a triangle shape for the stock but the center will be hollow. So picture a triangle made of tubes except the tubes will be core material wrapped in fiberglass. If it was going to be "solid" in the center i could just use foam and glass over that but thats basically what i have just in plastic. I wanted to make a side folder buy just dont have a good hinge idea or way to make it.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Jamestown Distributors in Warren Rhode Island sells many types of coring material, If you only need a small piece I have a pile of scraps in both 3/4 and 1/2, I also have some foam core with cloth on both sides, drop me a line with what your looking for. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

If you can be content with a few free pieces of 12" x 12" material I suggest you call Tamara Fee @ Coosa .. 205-663-3225 ext 102, and ask her to send you some samples. I believe they have 6"x6" and 12" x 12' samples.. she just sent me a couple.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Major

Post by Major »

Bob H.: I just sent you a PM.

IRGuy: I should be able to work with a 12x12 piece and i could use the scraps from that to test some ideas for the boat as well. If you have already used some of the coosa board can you tell me which models may be the better ones to see about? I hate to ask for a few samples.

On a side note have any of you run across a good hinge that locks in a 90 degree open position and in the closed? That would save me some time but i may be limited to making one or buying a stock adaptor if i want it to fold.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Major...

If all you need is 1 or two square feet I can send you some of the samples I still have. I was going to use them for a small project on "Phoenix" but changed my mind.

Also.. I answered your email.. if you need more info let me know.
Frank B
--------------
Major

Post by Major »

IRGuy: I sent a reply to your PM and thanks for the offer.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Major, Sent you a pm reply, I use epoxy for most of my work, may add strenght and flexibility to your project. Just my 2cents..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Marlin

coosaboard

Post by Marlin »

fyi wear protective clothing and mask, I went through 16 sheets of cutting but still remember the terrible couple of days after cutting the 1st piece, set up a fan as well, this stuff is worse than FG
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: coosaboard

Post by CaptPatrick »

Marlin wrote:fyi wear protective clothing and mask, I went through 16 sheets of cutting but still remember the terrible couple of days after cutting the 1st piece, set up a fan as well, this stuff is worse than FG
As an addemdum to Marlin's caution, even the very fine dust from this type of material is sharper than a new razor blade.

Wear eye protection & don't even touch your eyes without washing your hands. Even a microscopic grain of the dust under your eye lid will feel like a sharp boulder. If you don't already keep a supply of eye wash and the wash cup, add it to your first aid kit. Fiberglass dust is easier to wash out and doesn't hurt as bad as Coosa Board dust...

You know how I know.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

From what I read above, maybe I should bury the pieces of Coosa board I have in my back yard.

But seriously.. Major.. I fear we have lost touch somehow...

I have 4 pieces each 12" on edge, and several pieces 6" on edge. They are all yours if you want them.
Frank B
--------------
Major

Post by Major »

Yea the coosa seems a little more involved than i thought so thanks for the heads up on working with it. Ill definalty be careful with the dust.

IRGuy: I sent a PM back to you last week so it must have gotten lost somehow. Ill resend it. Ill take whatever you dont think you will use.
coolair

Post by coolair »

major call tapco see if they could sell u a hindge, maybe they have what u r looking for thats what i have on mine
oh brownelles gunsmith supplies maybe
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854