K&N Air Filter

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

K&N Air Filter

Post by scenarioL113 »

I did a quick search here and did not come up with anything. I was thinking about using a K&N Aire Filter on my Holset Turbo intake on my 4BT's.

I was wondering if any of you 6BT guys were using them and if so maybe recommend a part number or an alternative?

Thanks

Frank
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have been using similar filters for my 6bts I got from Tony Athens (I think his versions are called L&N's) for several years now and are very satisfied with them. Take less space than the big paper disposable ones. Pay for themselves in less than 2 seasons.
Face

Post by Face »

Frank, check your pm's. I don't want to hijack your thread. I have the same boat and motors, wondered how yours is coming along.
-Joe
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Down to a few days before splashdown!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Major

Post by Major »

I found that info over at boat diesel i think. Let me see if i can find it and ill post it on here.

Found it and Tony Athens (the OP) is the one to thank.

" k&n makes great replacements. Typical #'s we use are the RU 2820 or RE 0930 for the 4B/4bt/4btA and 6B/BT. These w/ fit the 3" turbo and may need an adaption/extension if you run hard (protects from the turbo/compressor side heat).. These filters are in the 45-$65 range..Extenders about 10-$35 ea... Tony "

" Upon close inspection of the turbo neck, you'll see another example of poor thought/engineering from Cummins.. The neck of the turbo (where the air cleaner clamps) has a slight reverse taper without a captive lip (similar to a single lip hose barb)to help keep the air cleaner in place.. Between the heat, softening of the air cleaner neck and vibration, the air cleaners will slip off in many applications....A male X female 3" metal extension will solve this and would also be needed to protect the k&n from the heat generated by the turbo.. Use a good quality "T" bolt clamp on the extension and a regular clamp on the k&n....Nelson Industries (truck or muffler shops) makes these extensions and are about $10 un-modified.. I think they are too long and spend some time shortening them..Also, I have removed the cold side of the turbo and re-machined the lip in a few instances when the taper was un-workable.. I'll mention that some of the engines come w/ a properly machined turbo inlet neck..Good consistency Cummins!! Tony "
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have looked for a K&N for my Yanmar lp6 but could not find anything.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Tony Athens' outfit sells the S&B fileter, like K&N but a lot better with a heavier neck. I've been using them for years with zero issues, and he says you only need to clean them (use the K&N kit) once every 1,000 hours. I have never touched mine in all the years I've run them on my 6BTA 250s. Think I paid about $75/ea for mine and that's a bargain considering the Cummins paper ones are about 45 or so and last only a year at most.

UV
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

If I run a K&N and clamp the rubber right to the turbo inlet there is a chance of it melting.

Some of you have clamped a metal piece an few inches long (pipe) in its place and then clamp the filter it?
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Major

Post by Major »

Take a look back up at the second part of my first post. That should help out with your question. It basically says that the turbo gets hot and that combined with the vibration can cause the filter to fall off. The tube helps prevent that.

Have you looked into the intakes capacity? I didnt think about it before i came to this site and started reading about the side intakes for the 31's and the recomended size. If you have those same two little scoops mine had that may or may not give enough clean cool air. I just bring it up because your looking into a "performance" filter and a diesel. I havent done the math but its something to consider.

I know your ready to get it in the water from our e-mails back and fourth. Remember to post some pictures and some results. Having the same boat and engines but not running im really curious how its turning out.

Major
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I have the stock can filter for 1 engine and nothing for the other, I just want 2 filters, to get it running I dont care about a performance filter but just figured the K&N would be simple, and I am starting to think its not.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

frank i have two brand new make a donation and pick them up monday at oakdale yacth.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

A big thanks to Bob for the filters, Bob really hooked me up. I just wanted to say he is real PROFESSIONAL and an equally great guy.

Capt Pat a check is on the way.

I am going in the water tomorrow, this has been a 3 year re-power/diesel conversion project and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Please wish me luck!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob & Frank,

Thanks Guys!

Br,

Patrick
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

In the water

not running up to par, both engines are loading up and smoking heavy if you bring the throttles up too much.

Only turning 1400RPM's

I did not go through the IP's and am thinking they are out of timing.

Still need to adjust the valves too!
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET