Anyone know this 31? Lucky only hurt pride

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Anyone know this 31? Lucky only hurt pride

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showth ... p?t=215749

Anyone know this 31 in this picture? I hope it wasn't anyone we know. This guy got lucky when he played with the jackstands.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

You can just loosen the jack stand and slide it over one way or the other to paint the spot.
That should prevent the boat from tipping, the jack stand will basically remain in place in case the boat is tipsy.

I use 4 jack stands on my B28 and try to very careful, these boats are very heavy.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Oh man a bunch of us know that boat.
Damn
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Probably not much damage. That's the approximate attitude that AJ assumed during Katrina except much more bow proud. Cracked the struts, bent the props but not the shafts, and did not even scratch Capt. Patrick's gorilla rudders. Jackstands? Shoot, just let it down on those rudders.....

UV
Major

Post by Major »

Man.... and i was just reading back over my thread on removing the trailer from our 28 today. Anyone know who may sell some good used stands for the side of a 28 or is used a screw up on this item?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Major

I don't think the jack stands are all that expensive. Check online. I know a guy up here in NJ that used to have a bunch of used ones he was trying to get rid of but that was over a year ago. Don't know if he still has them. But by the time you pay shipping you might as well buy new.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you have 3 pair you can leapfrog them. Also always use the cross chains!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Unless its a steep hull e.g. sailboat, my marina never chains the stands.

Not saying whether right or wrong...just the way they do it.

I also move my stands to paint...but only after grabbing another stand to support the boat first....again not saying its right...it's just what I do. I used to have the marina do it...but takes them a year and a day, they charge me $60 bucks and they do the same thing as the guy they sent out last time to do it could hardly walk...never mind move the stands...so I basically paid the marina $60 bucks to have the guy watch me do it...that was the last time I went that route.

That cannot be a good feeling watching the boat roll over...real glad nobody got hurt. In my yard that would never have happened...they put the boats so close together the boat would have been held up by the next boat...or it would have been Domino's.
RussP

Post by RussP »

If the paint is wet the jacks will slide right out. If you want to jump stands wait a day to let the paint dry and move the stand with a piece of wax paper over the pad to protect the new paint.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Not sure why the guys pride would be hurt. He wasn't even around when it happened.

With all the snow and rain, then very high winds on top of the ground settling thats occured locally I can't believe there haven't been more. Bet there are several marinas that have had to re-chock boats due to the winter we've had.

Shame it happened at least no one was hurt, boat should be fine maybe a little twist in her from laying funny on the ground, its a Bertram she'll straighten out in the water if nothin came loose.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

JP

I know the marina I am in for the winter would not let anyone in the yard with a car for the first couple of weeks of march due to the soft ground. You could see where some of the boats had settled in spots that we all had thought were real solid. I have been in the same spot for the winter for the last 15 years and I can see where I settled a little this year.

Never an issue in years past.

Glad no one was hurt. Shame it had to happen to anyone especially one of our own.

That is the one call I always dread. The call from the Marina when they are not doing any work on the boat for you.