31 Bertram engine box size

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Major

31 Bertram engine box size

Post by Major »

Do any of you have some measurements of the 31's engine box inside dimensions? I have seen a few run the Cummind 6BT's and was curious what it size it took to get them to fit. With that being a cheaper engine ive thought about moving the bulkhead forward some if my 28's engine box was close. A couple depth measurements would be helpful as well.

Off topic but whats the story with the 30 bertram? I saw one on one of the trader sites and it said they designed it to replace the 31. It was a shrunk 54' bertram hull i think they said but the back deck was a hybrid between the 31 and a 28. It was flat but the engine boxes only stood up what looked like 6 or 8".

I havent seen many out there so it either didnt catch on, didnt work, cost to much to produce. The area below the flybridge had a funny look too. Kind of like a chopped top look. (looks better on a car)

Thanks,

Major
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Major

At the time the 30 was probably one of Bertrams biggest mistakes. While sales of the 31 were probably not as good as before that period, they were still selling. They came up with the 30 to appeal to the ladies and the families. It never sold well and was discontinued.

Not sure how the ride is.
Major

Post by Major »

Thanks for the info on the 30. I guess my thoughts on it being a wierd duck were well founded.

Do any of you have a copy of the Cummins 6BT Installation diagram with all the dimensions on it? I see one over at boat diesel but havent sent a membership in to be able to download it. For some reason all the ones i can find are just the data sheets or wiring diagrams. Im trying to figure out how much room you need to fit a 6BT.

My deck has already been raised i think 2" but im sure ill need a little more length as well. I tried scaling up some pictures of 28's that came with the factory volvo diesels but didnt end up with much useful. From what ive read they had the larger engine area vs the gas models.

For those of you with them on your 31's about how much length, width and height do they need to fit right? From the data sheet i found a couple measurments that showed height may be an issue but since the oil pan is at the center it may fit once you figure the hull angle. From the looks of it either the 31 is wider than the 28 or the engines are mounted closer to the sides. The idea of using boxes like a 31 doesnt seem like it will work with the engine spacing on a 28.

On another note..... What are your thoughts on a semi prop pocket? Other than it being ALLOT of work would a shallow prop pocket be more efficent than moving to a 4 blade prop if you had clearance issues? That way you also would maintain the correct shaft angle vs that method of fixing the problem too. The pocket would have to include the rudder but since we have a 31 rudder on it now that would help.

As always im just working out future plans and havent started anything. All i have time for now are plans unfortunatly. :|
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Does anyone know the boat MOON TIDE out of Jupiter?

A nice restoration with custom oversized engine boxes-just wondering what kind of pwer in the boat.