rear deck is going back in after new tank

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

rear deck is going back in after new tank

Post by scenarioL113 »

I was wondering what may be used to seal the rear deck when I lay it back down. There is a material that is very similar to 5200 or 4200 that was used previous. I am pretty positive whatever was used was put there when the boat was built new.

What would be something to seal her up with?

On another note I still have some of the old material that I am having trouble removing, any tips or trick on getting it to peel off from the cockpit?
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If your talking the seams between deck panels, I've always used white silicon.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

A silicone follow up....... I spoke with the G.E.people when I bought some silicone that wouldn't cure (turned out it had been heated above 80 degrees; who knew?) they told me silicone was silicone. That whether you buy marine, door & window, bath, whatever...the silicone is the same. What do you know about this, Bruce?
Carl

Post by Carl »

You don't want to use 5200. That is an adhesive and a real good one at that.

Aside from 5200 not liking the UV rays from sunlight...if you ever need to pull up the deck again you will be in for a real treat...NOT.

You just want to create a seal.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

If you need the best stuff to remove any adhesive sealant I highly recommend AntiBond -- I was dropping the struts on my former B31 to press new cutlass bearings in and 5200 held them in place without the bolts. I gave a good soak with AntiBond and I pulled them right off with little effort.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I'm aboard with the "silicone is silicone" deal. I have started using some stuff called "Kwik Seal" by DAP from the hardware store that is cheap, easy to use, and dries to a nice bright white that does not seem to yellow in sunlight. And once you open the tube the left-overs don't harden like most 3M stuff does. It is advertised as an "adhesive sealant" for kitchen and bath uses and seems to be somewhere between 3M 101 and 4200. Not for use below the waterline, but a really nice product, and the lack of "marine" on the label makes it a helluva bargain.

UV