cat 3208 question......

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

steve miller

cat 3208 question......

Post by steve miller »

I'm rewiring my boat; took out the hated center console and installed an engine box. Now we're enclosing the front of the boat with a windshield, and will be extending the tower hard top to meet the windshield. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of where to find a budget-priced wiring harness for the 320 bhp 3208T.......Used,new, whatever!
Thanks in advance for any help.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

How cheap?
For less than a c note you can make one.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Steve,
With Bruces help. I bought all different color wires and now with new senders and gauges. I have new faith in my gauges. For the cost of wire and heat shrink.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Slightly off subject but close...
Bruce, will this work with semi-truck engines also? Assuming you just need to know what the wires do coming out of the ECM/sensors/etc. Then match them to the firewall plug? Considering a future project on my Pete car hauler of a slightly souped up 3406E but I now have a C12. Both Cat products so hopefully that's part of the battle conquered.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Kurt,
The only difference with over the road is the increased amount of electronics and dealing with the water proof connectors.

Most all the connectors can be had aftermarket and the most important thing to remember is make sure the pins are seated so that when the connectors are pushed together the pins don't back out and lose connection. Most connectors have deep sockets with silicon gaskets and you won't easily be able to see a problem.

The most important thing in any wire harnass is using the right guage wire. If in doubt about the current draw, go bigger.

In some remote cases, there is resistance wire. Unless its something you know well, a wire diagram from a service manual helps out.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve,

Is the boat on the mainland or on Block?

How's your winter been?

D
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Thanks Bruce....I already have the wire/heat shrink/connectors. My wiring guy thisnks it will be much faster timewise to use a Cat wiring harness.
Dug
The boat is in my yard on it's trailer. I have a great fiberglass guy who is commuting and living out here while he fabricates the various new pieces of the boat. We are putting in a nice new dashboard to flush-mount all the electronics. We sold our old place and are now in the new place. I just finished all the interior work,and focusing on the exterior and the outbuildings.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Steve!!! That is awesome!

While I am sorry for you that you sold such a lovely spot, I know why, and I think it is terrific for you! Fantastic, just fantastic! Congratulations!

And I can't wait to see the boat when I get over to the island this summer.

Spectacular my friend, spectacular!

Dug
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Dug,
We bought an old house about 200 yards uphill from our old one. The new house has 5.3 acres. People thought it was a teardown, but we brought it right back to life, and for very little money! The boat windshield and engine box is something I have wanted to do since I bought the boat. Oh, and I got an XM satellite weather antenna too!!