boat test weather

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

boat test weather

Post by bob lico »

randall, walter , dug this is the weather prediction for next week . i will test boat tuesday morning . the waters involve would be between block island and montauk point. south east winds and waves should put 18' waves off port bow coming from connecticut(pawcatuck) is this the way you read it? trying to avoid waves directly port or starboard.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

looks snotty no matter how you read it.

i was hiking with my friend in new mexico and he kept talking about the wind. i kept asking "what wind"? it was a bit over dead calm as far as i could tell. you forget that most places are a lot calmer than here.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this is just a test ride randall before owner has to hand over dough. 2000- bertram model 510 -54' loa . i want to see if has any sea handling problems in 12' seas . has a ezcy enclosed bridge and this huge marlin tower, built by pipewelders and single lever controls way up there in the tower.i want to see if she will bury the bow in those seas and the boat reaction from wind against seas with that tower.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob-If you're taking it out to test it's handling in rough seas, you surely will. If you're bringing it home, you'll be getting it on your stern port quarter. Either way, we look forward to your report and hope you love it. Walter
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

walter if every thing is a go with survey and test ride i will bring her back to oakdale yacth 1st week in april.then i will be looking for best weather possible to "round the point".
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,

Many a trip braving 15' waves uphill both ways, I repeat this poem to myself to ease the anxiety.

Its easy to grin,
When your ship has come in,
And you have the stock market beat.

But the man thats worth while,
Is the man that can smile,
When his shorts are too tight in the seat.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce it`s like this ;after my wife pester ,bager me for months after buying that texas chopper.she had dreams i would die by the wheel on my chopper. well now "i can go 100 mile a hour because i have the almighty power sitting on the dashboard of my boat"-----fu-king invincible!!! now you on the other hand are like john force when he use to be polite and perfect vocabulary then he put that " jolly ranger" into the wall at 180mph and he had a two word vocabulary f-ck it!!john had one big set let me tell you.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

BOb- don't think that I am stupid for asking this, but you say that you want to avoid a beam see in the boat? Do you mean a beam see entering and leaving the Montauk Getty? Which I understand. Else couldn't you adjust course to whatever you wanted?

Again don't think I am stupid if this is obvious.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

we once agreed there are no is stupid questions on this board. the course is north to south from conn. to montauk point so i really did not want 16' waves dead on the beam neither east or west.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Now I see. For some reason I thought that the boat was in Montauk already. My bad.
randall

Post by randall »

you could sailboat it and tack so you always had a quartering sea....its not that far. but you'll probably try to get air. take pictures.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bruce wrote: Its easy to grin,
When your ship has come in,
And you have the stock market beat.

But the man thats worth while,
Is the man that can smile,
When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

I don't think the heavy stuff is going to come down for some time. I'd play through.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Bob,
You might want to try the 20 mile forecast, which is a bit milder....you were looking at the canyon forecast!!! :)
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

hopefully 9 to 12' would be alot better. might be a two day affair with all the work they want to accomplish with mechanicals. steve i realize thats your neck of the woods.do you take your wave height from noaa becon south of montauk mtkno6
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

steve they moved station 44066 from cape may nj to texas tower in hudson canyon .a excellent real time referance for wind direction,wave height,steepness and time between waves.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob..Bob...Bob...your just not settling into the whole retirement thing.

I guess that "test ride" should determine whether the 2000 model year boats are made well. Hopefully alot better then the 63...

Are you already familiar with the boat?? That's not something I would readily go out in with a "new to me" boat. I'd much prefer to have a good background as to what the boat likes and don't like before heading out in that stuff. Yup I said it...hopefully no offense and now I'll shut my food hole...

Carl
Garry

Post by Garry »

Cinderella story…he’s got 180 yards to the green…it looks…it looks like an 8 iron....

Garry
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

This is what I would look at

NWS Forecast
FZUS51 KOKX 290911
CWFOKX

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
511 AM EDT MON MAR 29 2010

MONTAUK POINT NEW YORK TO SANDY HOOK NEW JERSEY OUT 20 NM OFFSHORE
INCLUDING LONG ISLAND SOUND...LONG ISLAND BAYS AND NEW YORK HARBOR

ANZ300-292100-

SYNOPSIS FOR LONG ISLAND WATERS AND NEW YORK HARBOR

AS A STRONG RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE EXTENDING FROM THE CANADIAN MARITIMES
SOUTHWEST ACROSS THE WESTERN ATLANTIC OCEAN MOVES SLOWLY EAST...LOW
PRESSURE OVER THE APPALACHIANS WILL GRADUALLY DISSIPATE AS A SECONDARY
AREA OF LOW PRESSURE CONTINUES TO DEVELOP OFF THE CAROLINA COAST. THIS
SECONDARY LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL THEN MOVE SLOWLY NORTH ALONG THE
MID ATLANTIC COAST BEFORE MOVING EAST WEDNESDAY. HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS
INTO THE AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANZ350-292100-
MORICHES INLET NY TO MONTAUK POINT NY OUT 20 NM-

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT

GALE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING

TODAY
S WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 7 TO
10 FT. PERIODS OF RAIN. PATCHY FOG. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM. TIDES 1 TO 1.5
FEET ABOVE NORMAL.

TONIGHT
SE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT...INCREASING
TO 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 7 TO
10 FT. RAIN. AREAS OF FOG. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM. TIDES 1 TO 1.5 FEET
ABOVE NORMAL.

TUE
SE WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 KT...DIMINISHING TO
15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 10 TO
15 FT. PERIODS OF RAIN...MAINLY IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, if it's Tuesday, I can't go. It would have to be weekend...sorry.

Otherwise the weather looks like it will do the job for you. You will want to get outside of watch hill reef, towards Block Island for the real snotty water. Inside the island will be protected. Short chop and healthy, but protected nevertheless. If you want to chat via phone with a chart in your hand I can point out ugly areas in the river etc. where you will want/need to be careful. Not just sand but rocks.

Good luck! Should be fun!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dug you know i have the highest respect for both your opinion of the boat and general knowlege of the seas around new england. i want to reinforce my recent survey ,a independant survey ,inspection and research of this bertram 510 and first hand information from mechanics who have work on other of the new style bertram 510 series.i don`t want to portray some nut job taking a boat for a joy ride into the deep blue yonder. after the go ahead from a complete mechanical survey i will put her into the wind on servere weather conditions to actually feel roll,wet/dry and basiclly sea handling ability.i test 8 zillion center consoles but never the real deal 40' and above convertible.you know "never say never".i was out on a 63' sea ray and almost died .a 63' boat that was unsafe at any speed in the ocean, to the point i rather been in a 25' bertram.i was hoping you would be there.i will postpone the sea trial but still need waves!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

i was out on a 63' sea ray and almost died
Everytime I stepped foot on a Sea Ray, I almost died...............

from embarassment.
capy

Post by capy »

Garry wrote:Cinderella story…he’s got 180 yards to the green…it looks…it looks like an 8 iron....

Garry
Spalding!!!!! You'll get nothing and like it!!!!!

How about a fresca?????

Moose, Rocco, help the judge find his checkbook!!!
1961 Sportfish Hull# 5-35
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Spalding......getyourfootofftheboat !!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this boat will be part of my retired life in the next 10 years . i tryed to keep my mind clear and not be swayed by granite counters, impecable teak cabinetry,great salon/galley layout,sub- zero teak covered separate roll out refrig and frezer.the gel-cote exterior would make any boat owner green with envy. i saying nats ass perfect and straight as a arrow.not even a hint of print coming thru.all of that is in vain if the trasom comes around on me (very dangerous breech possibility)in a inlet on a 40' post sport fisherman.a 48' egg harbor express that went bow down in 6' seas allowing the green water to ride up the foward sloped deck and drop into the driving station.so lets say i am shell shock from prevous "great boats" in recent years.knock on wood my 31' bertram blows any boat in our marina away in the ocean.i played with the trim tabs on a 36' beautifull looking new luhrs and could not stop that boat from a lean to port then lean to starboard condition all the way to the canyon-- terrible boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,

If I can survive a Hatteras motor yacht dodging crab traps in gale winds with a following sea making the steering practically useless listening to the salon glass busting from the fly bridge, you'll be fine.

Besides men like us laugh in the face of danger.

My hero is Evil Koslowski.

Jumped 15 motorcycles with a bus.

When asked why he replied, because the bus was just sitting there next to the motorcycle dealership. Sure wish I had had a ramp, as they led him away in hand cuffs.
randall

Post by randall »

bob....if its 15 foot you wont have any trouble finding waves near montauk. all the slightly offshore reefs will show. some might even break...like "great eastern".
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you randall due to slight delay due to high winds preventing boat from being put in the water we will delay till friday so i will be looking for bad water.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Friday...hell thats going to be Bubble boat weather.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Today would have been good. Only 6 inches of rain so far.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

just keep the wind out of the picture brewster, that a killer for me right now
randall

Post by randall »

good day to test the bilge pumps ...........or start building an ark!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

So when your not driving during this "victory at sea" sea trial. Check outboard of the engines before and after the sea trial. Run the boat in a large quartering at a speed you feel comfortable. This is the worst (all be it not that bad) sea for that style hull. It will be wet, but thats when the engine vents fail to stop the water from staying out.
While at speed on the quarter you need to leave the helm and move around the boat. Check for squeaks and movement in the cabin, the galley and master are worth having a listen to. Look for movement at the aluminum support brackets under the forward cabin below decks.

And when its all done be a peach and have someone wash and chamois the old girl, cause she's gonna be crusty. Do you have a disclaimer in case you break something?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you really think a quartering sea would be worst then beam sea? i looked at the area between vent and engines and saw no sign of salt but will look after hard run now that you mention it.those massive alluminum beam were real tight but that was in stationary position.i am thinking; owner lives in chaham nj and you would be the perfect candidate for captain next year .well at least you can take him out and find big stripers far better then me and you are in the perfect location.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The 22-24 knot heavy quartering in 8 ft is a soaker- real boat twister too. With the quartering your actually accelerating into the waves instead of parralleling them.

As far a running a boat for someone else, it would have to be a pretty special kind of person.

I am looking forward to working with my brother on the new boat from time to time when needed. This one doesn't look like a white Reebok high top:

KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that tower you show on the 62 is what i have. this owner was a plumber who started playing with computers and invented software for the obama crew and made a million. easy going funny guy loves fishing and offshore big game.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Nice looking ride JP, who is the builder? Whats her name? A 62 footer like that you will have the range to fish up our way....and then some...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Bob H. sent you a note. She'll replace the Bertram 570 the owner currently has. This boat should hit Brielle in June or July. Built outside of Ocean City MD by Titan Yachts. I fished on the sistership last year in the keys. Overnighted in some real crap. Boat layed great and ran head and shoulders above most everything I've been on.

The new bottom designs are light years away from the old standard V- bottoms of yester year. This one was really impressive. Like I said hoping to get to fish/work on it a few times. New beginnings are always pretty exciting.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

JP, I fell for a similar boat when I went down to Alabama, not as fast as the Titan...A 61 Resmondo stole my heart, Lady D is for sale on yacht world, what a battleship..after talking with Harry Babb, he tells me they are a 20-25 knot boat, but they do have the reputation of being the Rolls Royce of charter boats..I will dig up a picture or two and make a new post, not wanting to hijack Bobs post on the Bertram. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bob h i am not the least bit concern about hijacking any post! like randall said just say it and if you go off subject what the hell you don`t like it don`t read it . we are brothers by now cut the formality bullshit.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Well said!
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Point Taken....How was the boat test?BH
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

postpone because i wanted some scratches repaired among other requirements like replace zincs so i don`t have to pull her back out of the water here while we approached the busiest part of the season.i saw the list they have to bottom paint and launch 250 boat in two weeks.our subsiderary cmi electronics are working 7 days a week and i am learning the good bad and ugly about raymarine,furumo,and garmin.we carry and install complete system for all three manufactures.decisions-decisions.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473