S Florida Recommendations?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill B

S Florida Recommendations?

Post by Bill B »

Gents,

I recently moved to Coral Gables and am having a whale of a time finding a Yanmar-certified tech to work on my 6-LPs (in a B31, natch). Neither of the local Yanmar service dealers seem interested (no return calls, no rely from emails, no response from faxes!). Any recommendations?

Many thanks to the Faithful,

Bill
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bill,

Call Mastry engine center, the Yanmar distributor for Fla and the Carib.

1-800-545-4574, punch in 7 for tech service and warrantee and ask for Doug, the service rep. Tell him what your running up against.

If they don't help, call Yanmar corporate, (847) 541-1900.

Have you tried Mavex ?, their supposed to be hot shi*
http://www.mavex.com/

If theres anything you want to try your hand at, post and I'll answer them.
Ric

yanny 6lp 300's

Post by Ric »

naturally having a set of 300's in my boat my ears perked up when you mentionedthat. getting parts or service was getting hard..,, a month ago i was contacted by somebody who found me on the bertram website,,He asked me if i knew where to get lower end parts bearings and parts for a lower end re/do,,,suggested it was very hard to get parts,,,,what up with that,,,,,,you been hearing things bruce? is getting the parts for the 300 series like finding buried gold,.,.,.,makes me consider buying the materials in advance :(
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Production cutbacks from just about every manufacturer is what the public has to deal with right now. Dist aren't restocking as much and neither are dealers.

While many of the NE guys may not be experiencing it as bad, the marine industry is seriously in the toilet.

Plus you have to deal with employee layoffs and hour cutbacks.

One reason I said goodbye to this crap because if it come back with even 50% of what it once was your looking at 5 years at least down the road.

We haven't seen the worst of it yet IMO.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote:Production cutbacks from just about every manufacturer is what the public has to deal with right now. Dist aren't restocking as much and neither are dealers.

While many of the NE guys may not be experiencing it as bad, the marine industry is seriously in the toilet.

Plus you have to deal with employee layoffs and hour cutbacks.

One reason I said goodbye to this crap because if it come back with even 50% of what it once was your looking at 5 years at least down the road.

We haven't seen the worst of it yet IMO.

I really hate to agree with you Bruce...but I think your 100% correct.
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Thanks Bruce. I started with Marc at Mastry, who pointed me toward Mavex and Austral. Calls, emails and faxes into both have gotten me one return phone call saying "I'll talk to the techs and get back to you". Which they haven't. Guess I gotta suck it up and do the Self Serv Customer Service thing - book the appt for them, pick up the tech and drive him to the boat, invoice myself....Think there would be some hungrier folks out there with the very real economic picture you painted.

Much appreciate the replies, though!

Bill
Carl

Post by Carl »

I see this all over the place. Companies do not have the work so they cut down on the staff to reduce the overhead...but without enough people the service can really lack and they lose even more work. Put someone on for the extra work and by the time the person is trained/gets up to speed the work is gone again.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

sim wrote:I see this all over the place. Companies do not have the work so they cut down on the staff to reduce the overhead...but without enough people the service can really lack and they lose even more work. Put someone on for the extra work and by the time the person is trained/gets up to speed the work is gone again.
Add to that, companies with dwindling orders coming in, doing the same cuts you referred to, AND jacking their prices well above general inflation to try and make up for lost revenues.

American Marine, the company I have manufacture my after-market B31 windscreen, normally ups my price every year by about 10 - 15%. I just got the word this morning that my cost has now jumped by 209%. Yup, that's right, no decimal point missing. Even if I were to maintain my same markup, which has been my rule for several years, that jacks the customer price from $695.00 over the past two years to $1,153... It now costs me significantly more than what I was selling it for. If cut my profit margin in half, it'd still sell for almost $1,100.

My solution here? The windshield probably just became an obsolete item again.

Ken Hudson probably got the last one to be produced.

And the losers are? Everybody...

In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

What it's doing to me after owning my boat for 33 years is having to re evaluate my ability to afford it!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bill,
Again if you have any thing you want to try and ain't sure, post and I'll answer them.

In these economic times self help web sites like this become more important.
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Bruce - thanks for the offer and rest assured I will be posting some questions.

Patrick - Damn sorry to hear the news about the windscreen. I bought one two and a half years ago, and I gotta tell you it is one of the highest quality pieces of equipment on the boat. Looks as though it just came out of the shipping crate. A thing of Coke Bottle Green beauty.

Bill