New tower for " Targeted Species"

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kipp

New tower for " Targeted Species"

Post by kipp »

Boat is at Salvadore's in Bacliff Texas. We have been putting off upgrading our tower for a cpouple seasons now and it is officially time for another project. Being stuck in south LA. gives us all of two options. I have spent plenty of time down in south Fla. working on bigger boats and the amount of tower builders down that way can be overwhelming. Some of the numbers I have been quoted from Pipewelders and places like ACY are aslo overwhelming to the pocket book!
Soooo we were hoping to get some feedback from some of the texas faithful on Tower builders, T-top companies, welding etc.
I know there are alot of options over to the west and its alot closer than lauderdale!!
We have had some guys from Millenium Marine wanting to do the project....anybody heard of them or seen any of their work??
any and all comments will be helpfull as Targeted Species's tower is not the norm
Thanks
Capt Richard Creed
Kipp
coolair

Post by coolair »

Kipp
the obvious choice is tops and towers, but they are very expensive, the quoted me anywhere from i think 7-over 10 for a half tower. depending on if i wanted fiberglass or vinyl top.
there is a company on ferris drive in bellaire, but i dont know there name.
you getting rid of your old top?
where is millenium
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Richard,
I think that Jason is the guy running Milleneum, and I hear that he does nice work. I've got one other shop in mind named Dos Amigo's Boat Works in Freeport 979-239-2940. Noe is the name of the owner and Charlie is the name of the welder. It might be easier for Noe and Charlie to come over to Salvador's and take a look. Salvador knows these people pretty well, but I know that he uses Jason quite a bit. Call me if you need something 713-906-0842.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
scot

Post by scot »

Hi Kipp,

A few weeks back, on a Friday morning I noted the "Targeted Species" headed west on IH10 between Laff & BR. She looked good headed down the road. I spotted the hull form a mile or so away and I knew a 31 was coming down the road....good looking boat.

I was headed east to meet with up with Mike in Augusta, GA. (half way between Texas and Long Island) You may have spotted my white/grey Dodge with a marine engine in the bed.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
kipp

Post by kipp »

Scott,
Thanks for the compliment.
She"ll look better with a new tower. Got a quote of 23k from local shop. Seems high(maybe not by Pipewelders standard) and hoping to beat that.
Guess I need to keep reminding myself that this is our FINAL project(for awhile anyway)!
John
looked at Millenium's website,and it looks like T-tops is what they do. Richard talked to Jason and he sounded knowledgeable. Not sure of their marlin tower experience. Tops and Towers quoted you 10k for a half tower w/ fiberglass top?
Kipp
aeymardz71

Post by aeymardz71 »

kipp,

you might want to look at quality t-tops in tarpon springs florida, they do great work, but probably up there with pipe welders and acy! they do work for intrepid and gause.

Andy
scot

Post by scot »

Kipp,

I would say that Millenium's core business is T-tops because that's the bulk of the region's boats (20-26ft CCs)...and he's not a high profile guy. You typically will not find him with a big spread in the local boat shows! I have seen his work and it's first class. If he feels comfortable building a full tower I would let him build it in a heart beat. I would certainly talk to him.

Good luck.
Scot
coolair

Post by coolair »

Honestly I can not remember, maybe it was 10 for vinyl and like 12/15 for glass, My wife wanted to get it for me for a present, but didn't realize how much they cost
OK, where is salvidors, and what are they. you guys are keeping secrets from me.. and i have heard of dos amigos, arent they reproducing some Bertram deck panels?
But 23k sounds insane.
Matt
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

So you brought her to Texas?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Kip and Richard,
Dos Amigo's quoted a marlin tower 3 years ago for under $14k for Reel Cowboy...$23k sounds like a bunch of cash...but there is a convenience factor to consider...Jason is right around the corner from Salvador's. The thing about Dos Amigo's is that, they've done several towers before, and some big ones in the process, and I know that if you met with them in person that you could probably come to a good arrangement for everyone. One plus is that D.Mckinney and I live about 3 hundred yards as a crow flies from the place and you would have several people keeping an eye on the progress. There was a post I think titled "Baha mar project" I remember that bahia was mis-spelled. Anyways, the half tower in those pics was done by Charlie. The post was about a year ago or so.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Rodger Vice's Bahia Mar

Rodger bought most of Ray Cabrera Bahia Mar custom molds...

Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Thats a sweet looking Bahia Mar!!!!
1976 FBC
3208 NA
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

That is hot.
kipp

Post by kipp »

Andy,
The guy who has the camp next to mine in Venice La. just had Quality Marine Fabricators build a tower for his boat. Impressive work and when he told me how much,I couldn't believe it. He showed me the invoice- was shocked it was so reasonable. However, he's retired and I'm not. That's why I am shopping the Gulf Coast.
Any of the Gulf Coast faithfull had a tower built, or have any other suggestions? If not guess I'll follow John Cranston's lead,and check out Dos Amigos. John sure steered me right on Salvadore. Plus, he's offered to overSEE this project too. Thank you John, and thanks for the replies.
Kipp
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Kip,
I want a ride out to the lumps sometime.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Kipp
Keep us posted on what they quote you, i really need on for my boat too.

Who or what is Salvidors?
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
Salvador is also known as the grand pooba of fiberglass and does his work in a restricted compound surrounded by armed guards. . You have to be a member of our secret lodge to get access to him. Sorry, but thats the rules written by our elders. If you want to become a member, send me a hundred bucks, cash, and I'll get you in.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

John,
How did the glass work on Renegade Mike's boat feel?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Andre,
Pretty rough. Nothing compared to Brian Barragy's 31's. Mechanically, she ran very smooth with no vibrations, and was extremely quiet. The cockpit was fairly cluttered up and was kind of hard for me to get around. Mike and his crew made up for all of this, and, we've already booked him for next year. I like the layout of Mimerva's 31 fbc and the quality of the glass work much better. The thing about Minerva's 31, is that, Bob, the owner, runs 1.25 to 1 ratio gears hooked up to 260 or 270 Cummins. He swears by this, and had over 6 thousand hours on them the last time I was on her.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Thats the ratio Ive got.. w/ 18 sq wheels.. I think it lessen the torque stress.
on the shafts
Trying out my "Parker"fuel lines with 18000# I got 30knots yesterday w/ tower Dirty bottom & creep weight..700hrs & still loosening up.. runs better every day..
Cummins
330 remans
coolair

Post by coolair »

10-4 John
i appriciate the offer, i will see what i can do, problem i have with being in a lodge, is i tend to drink waaay too much... oh wait thats not a problem never mind haha
Thanks
Matt
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
Oh, you're a drinking man? Are you? Well then, you're in the brotherhood!
Salvador Duran lives at the corner of 9th st. and ave.E in Baycliff. Take 646 into Baycliff and take a right on 9th and go about a hundred yards to ave.E...he's the last house on the left just before ave.E. Cell 281-799-3218.
He's capable of any paint or glass work, including custom stuff, and works on location or in his back yard...very fair with his prices.
kipp

Post by kipp »

Matt
Took a big leap of faith for me,little over a year ago, to take Targeted Species into the heart of hurricane ravaged Tx on the advive of a blind man. Glad I did. Salvadore does great work at reasonable prices. Had some minor cosmetic issues with the spray rails he built and installed. Told me to bring the boat back to fix, asap. He takes real pride in his work.
Hoping I can find someone like that to do our new tower.
kipp
scot

Post by scot »

John,

just for the record you will not be allowed to run your hands over my glass work. You can listen to the engine and evaluate the smoothness of the ride....but check out the quality of my glass work, NO WAY.
Scot
coolair

Post by coolair »

ahh well nice too know thank you John
guess i better cancel that check haha
good to know, right now luckly i am good on glass, i have most of it covered.
But its good to know another glass guy, My office is across the street from john at miffco, and blocks from Leon. Both i think are pretty good glass guys, both i believe Cranston knows. Kipp i am in the same boat as far as find a welder, right now its for the tank, but eventually a tower.
I have found a welder by the office, who came highly recommended. I just dont know if he does towers.
Matt
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Scott,
I'll wear thick gloves.
Matt,
Have Leon give me a call sometime.
coolair

Post by coolair »

next time i see him i wiil,
you gonna be at boat this weekend?

buddy wants to look at a 50 bert for sale down there, might ride down
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
I might have to run down there on Sun. Reel Cowboy is parked next door to Dos Amigo's getting the finishing touches done to her. Give me a call at 713-906-0842 and I'll tell you how to get there to take a look.
coolair

Post by coolair »

john
looks like we might ride down this friday, so i will try and check out real cowboy then. i will give you a buzz

Kipp
i was ready through some past post... what gen set did you end up going with? i have gas engines and dont plan on swapping to diesel, but the phasors UV talks about are mighty nice
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Tom

Post by Tom »

Kip, there's a bunch of places between here and Corpus that do great work. Alot mostly do t-tops and radar arches as that's where the demand is.

I've had work done at Millenium, Tops n Towers, and Specialty Aluminum Works.

Bobby Byrd at Tops n Towers is the standard. Background of bluewater fishing, his dead daddy is a Texas legend. He likes to fish in a speedo and has the finest platinum mullet hairdo on the gulfcoast if that pursuades you. Does great work with more experience and knowledge than his peers.

Millenium does good work generally although my FIL had issues on some of his metal work on his cat boat. Unsure of their experience on sportfishers.

SAW out of Victoria is run by some good old boys and do fantastic work. They've got quite a bit of experience on sportishers as well.

Noe I believe fabricated the folding top on Ernest's Lil Bert.
Viva la Presidente!
fishlook

Post by fishlook »

Kipp-

DMR Services in Aransas Pass Texas (outside Corpus) built a tower for a friend of my's 31 Bahia Mar. I know he's built several and owns one or two 31's himself. His name is Danny. 361-776-0878

-Jay
coolair

Post by coolair »

john!!
holy cow reel cowboy looks nice!!!
that is one fine looking Bertram you got I am very impressed, i love the exhaust outlets, and all the glass work. truly beautiful. is the lip at the water line stock on your model, or is that custom just awesome! i love it!
My buddy and i went and looked at witch doctor, 50 bert for sale.
Matt
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
Thanks, man. The spray rails were built by Salvador and really knock down the spray. Kip has the same on his boat. Did you take a look in the cabin and cockpit? Did your buddy throw down on the 50 Bert?
coolair

Post by coolair »

John
I just looked over the side. the guy there offered me a ladder, but my feet where muddy and i was like, Hell no! so i didn't get to see the cabin, but the cockpit and the helm looked great! I love the color, honestly i am not a big fan of yellow but yours looks awesome, its perfect shade, I wish i could have stayed longer, and checked out more details... it all looks perfect. I guess i have never really seen the spray rails before, man they just look f*cking awesome! gives the boat a real speed boat look. Hell john even the lettering for the reg. numbers look nice.. just something a little different than the standard black.
My buddy has not yet pulled the trigger, hes gotta sell his 31 albemarle, which he hopes todo after the 1st, the C18cats burning 60gals/hr at 27knots is a real selling point. i am tempted to go halvesies with him, but i have enough boat on my hands now.

Oh, is that your trailer?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
Yeah, the trailer is mine. You can borrow it if you need it...18,000 lbs load rated.
coolair

Post by coolair »

lol just kidding thanks for offer, but i am good. besides, i have borrowed enough trailers to know i always break something on them, i have replaced enough tires on my buddies 30ft dovetail to support several tire companies.
keep me posted, i want to see the finished product when shes ready i cant wait
if kips boat is at salvadors i am going to have to check it out i need more ideas for mine, and though the pics are good, they just dont do theses beauties justice.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
scot

Post by scot »

has the finest platinum mullet hairdo on the gulfcoast
LOL. You do know the man!!
Scot
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Scott,
If you were sporting a mullet, you would be 7 and a half foot tall.You need a low rider cut like D. McKinney..It makes him look not so bearish...neaning that you can take him somewhere without people fingering there mase can.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

John,
Hell, I’m as clean cut as can be these days. Kind of miss my younger look. ZZ Top beard & Jesus hair, but that was long ago.

BTW, I ordered the ballasts today.

Kip,
If you decide to use Noe’s guy I’m right across the canal from them. If I could do anything for you let me know.
DanielM
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I knew it, I knew it I knew it all along!! McKinney was a hippie! I thought that was patulli I smelled on him at the captains meeting!!!!!

Tell me you didn't have a VW micro bus!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Born a little late to be a hippie. As for the VW micro bus, when I was a kid I bought an old Buick GS 455 in high school. Liked that big block, loud pipes, & louder hard rock music……the VW van just wouldn’t have cut it. What the heck is patulli?
randall

Post by randall »

patchouli oil....hippy girls loved it in the 60s..........which unfortunately i am old enough to remember............sorta.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Randall,
One day I’d like to sit down with you & hear about the parts of the 60s you actually do remember. Suspect it’d be interesting.
DanielM
coolair

Post by coolair »

John
i just had guy named jermy loosemore finish fixing up the topside of my boat, I Just wanted to compound and wax, considering i dont have time...he as a profesional decided to go a different route...started with 600grit went to 1000,1200,1500 then compound,finest it and wax, 40 year old gel coat looks perfect, shins like new. I am just amazed at how good it looks, and so was he.. he didnt even think it would come out that good. So if yall need something done he is the man. He removed all the hardware before, then re-beded it after.. would have polished it if i let him.
but have a few spots that i need to fix, he also recommended salvador said he was the best. So i guess i am gonna have to try him out for matching some gelcoat.
Kipp, any updates on the tower?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854