Sweet Revenge! Today's Feel Good Lesson...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Sweet Revenge! Today's Feel Good Lesson...

Post by CaptPatrick »

While this probably fits more onto the Political Discussion Board, I didn't want anyone to miss it. RHIP

-------------------------------------

A musician named Dave Carroll recently had difficulty with United Airlines. United apparently damaged his treasured Taylor guitar ($3500).

Dave spent over nine months trying to get United to pay for damages caused by baggage handlers to his custom Taylor guitar.

During his final exchange with the United Customer Relations Manager, he stated that he was left with no choice other than to create a
music video for YouTube exposing their lack of cooperation. The Manager, (Ms. Irlweg), responded "Good luck with that one, pal".

So he posted a retaliatory video on YouTube. The video has since received over 5.5 million hits. United Airlines contacted the
musician and attempted settlement in exchange for pulling the video. Naturally his response was "Good luck with that one, pal".

Taylor Guitars has since sent the musician two new custom guitars in appreciation for the product recognition from the video that has lead to a sharp increase in orders.

Here's the video....

United Breaks Guitars Song

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5YGc4zOqozo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5YGc4zOqozo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

And in his own words:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T_X-Qoh__mw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T_X-Qoh__mw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

United Breaks Guitars Song 2

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h-UoERHaSQg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h-UoERHaSQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

--------------------------
PS, Thanks Mikey!
--------------------------
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Very cleaver and good old American ingenuity and he's talented on top of that.
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Nice he got some free guitars from Taylor, but any musician knows that while traveling and checking equiptment with the airlines some type of Anvil brand case is needed or the equiptment will be dead when you reach your destination.

The old luggage commercial with the Gorilla in it pretty much meets the Airlines and UPS standards of package handling.

Also all tickets clearly state limits of liability. He could have very well purchased additional insurance to cover his guitar.

While its nice to get "the man", in this case all the blame rests on Dave's shoulders. Another contestant for Tool Academy.

As Ron White said, stupid is forever.

And my stupid tolerance is broke.
Last edited by Bruce on Dec 8th, '09, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Ya but screw those guys, i know we all gotta make a living, and all the limits of liabilities and legalities, maybe if they spent less money on lawyers and more on customer service... but if my company goes under due to poor management... no body is gonna bail me out. and i second the "my stupid tolerance is broke"
randall

Post by randall »

miami to panama city 5 hours late and the baggage handler is doing such a piss poor job the ground crew chief comes over and gets in a fist fight with him. meanwhile the captain is tellin us " we'll take off as soon as the paperwork is done".
Kurt

Confession

Post by Kurt »

Hate to admit it...I used to be a baggage handler (damager) in my younger days.
Soooo, when a bag was soft, it got stuffed at the top of the heap by the ceiling. The biggest/heaviest were used for the foundation on the floor. The luggage is actually carefully stacked so it fits in the proper compartment for weight and balance. That effects fuel burn which effects profit.
A foreign word on the ramp was FRAGILE. We used to say it must be French, pronounced Frageelay which means please break. What can I say, we were all a bunch of immature 20 something guys not paid anything to stuff bags in 100+ degree Florida weather.
Word of advice from an ex-pro: if you care about it put it in a hard-side bag. And I mean HARD. The stiffest material you can find. When floor jumps under your seat just hope it's not your bag.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yeah it may be his fault for not insuring properly or packaging the guitar correctly, but should that really be necessary.

I just shipped a job where the shipping was $1617.00 and the Insurance was $1621.00, ridiculous. What a waste of money.

Back to the handling...Good for Dave! Maybe if more people did something "about it", damaged shipments would become more of the rarity then the norm.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

but should that really be necessary
American Tourister made that Gorilla commercial back in 71.

38 years and its gotten worse so the answer to your question is a resounding YES.
Maybe if more people did something "about it", damaged shipments would become more of the rarity then the norm.
Well since the airlines have limits on the liability and anything over 100 bucks at UPS you pay for the insurance, I'd say there is no incentive to do better.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The incentive is avoiding PR like this! These companies pay big bucks to manufacture positive images. I know, as both my wife and I were in the advertising and PR business for many years, and both of us specialized in airlines. When things like this happen, as well as major delays, screw-ups, publicized consumer situations, and god forbid a crash, bad landing, etc. we'd get calls in the middle of the night no matter where we were, to address the situation ASAP. No matter what our retainer was, this was "above and beyond" and "how should we handle this?" was the common question. Our common answer usually was "it shouldn't have happened in the first place. "Fixing it" was more a matter of minimizing the damage...and it DOES cost them. I am sure this guy has cost them plenty, and their guys at that airport got the maximum treatment their Unions would allow...which opens up a whole other discussion.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

The incentive is avoiding PR like this! .......it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Exactly my point in posting.

And ya' gotta' admit that he was very creative in his approach. And United can't say they weren't warned. To the contrary, they all but dared him to make the video.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

and it DOES cost them
I hear what you say Walter but the reality is if it cost them enough to really make a difference things would change, but they do not.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Dave's still an idiot for not packing his guitar right.
randall

Post by randall »

you should see what they do to surfboards
RussP

Post by RussP »

The last time I flew from Oregon I had my Les Paul with me and Delta refused to let me carry it on. They wanted me to check it. I refused and told the manager at the desk if I couldn't get it on the plane they could gate check it. A nice gentlemen at the gate personally carried it down the jetway stairs and put it on the plane. It was waiting at the jetway as I got off the plane. With all the shit people carry on planes I cant believe they won't let you carry on a expensive guitar. I know some players that use Fenders so they could pull the neck and pack it in a suitcase. Makes it easy to get through customs.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote: Dave's still an idiot for not packing his guitar right.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Lets see-
- He got a replacement guitar, so no loss there
- He got his name out there a bit further then it was before...AKA free advertising.
- He got some new materail
-He must have got quite a following with this if United caved in and he made a follow up song and video.

What did it cost him-
-aggravation, not worth the extra effort to me, I'd pack and insure. but I know lots of people that don't have all that much to do and look for stuff just to bust some balls.

Maybe an idiot, maybe a genius...bet you if he takes United again he won't need insurance for that new guitar...provided he lets them now he's coming.
In Memory Walter K

Don't think it didn't cost him plenty to do what he did.
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Right or wrong
I LOVE the song.....
Fabulous!!!!
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Yes, bad Dave. However, A dear friend of mine was a "bag smasher" while he went to school learning to be an A & P mechanic. They used to have competition to see how far they could toss peoples luggage! They affectionately called it, "see how far we can toss the Ping Zings!

Like was stated above 20 something boneheads. Still, Dave bad, Dave dumb.

Note to self, reels in the carry on, rods in a hard case tube.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
In Memory Walter K

Mark- On a fly fishing trip for Pacific Sailfish to Guatemala last year, Homeland Security let us hand carry our flyrod cases but would not let us take our reels in hand luggage unless we removed the line (or spools) and checked them. Just the opposite from what we expected.