I just discovered a new website

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

I just discovered a new website

Post by Harry Babb »

I have wandered around the globe for some time now via Google Earth. Yesterday a friend showed me www.bing.com.

When you go there click on MAPS and enter an address that you want to see then click on "BIRDS EYE VIEW"

I was amazed at how close you can zoom in the clarity.

Check it out www.bing.com

H
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Pretty neat Harry,

I had to enter an old address to find the house, 911 people changed all of our addresses a few years back...they forgot to tell Bing. But the image is within 3 years old. Cool.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harv

Post by Harv »

Those are the same exact pictures used on Google Earth....
at least the areas I checked. The boat yard pictures were the same.
My neighborhood and my house were also the same and at least 2 years old or older. Clarity was about the same as far as I was concerned.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

Gee, if I didn't see Harry's picture I would think this was posted by a Microsoft shill...

;{>

John

There won't be any real revolution until it's aimed at Redmond!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Big Brother hasn't gotten to my neighborhood yet. Whew!!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

i can get closer on google earth. picture is over 2 years old. on either.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mikey,
Your too close to Washington. You have those silent running black helicoptors watching you.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall wrote:i can get closer on google earth. picture is over 2 years old. on either.
You and Harv must live closer to the camera......

H
hb
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

My sons use google earth in the family business. They use the pictures to give estimates to survey properties. The pictures show the fence lines & trees. That tells them, how difficult the job will be and what to charge.
This stuff was not available in my time, we had to go out and look at most jobs to give a price.
randall

Post by randall »

to do a favor for a friend i had to locate a house. using the description of the house and a sculpture in the yard i "flew" over the neighborhood using google earth .... and actually found the house. its the modern world.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Out here google earth and Bing are different. On Bing the image of our recycling plant was taken the day we had a catastrophic fire in November of 2007, there is a ladder truck dousing the flames fire and one of the trucks still trapped by fire hoses. Weird thing to have captured like that...
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

A guy out here on Block Island got busted for building a dormer on his house without a building permit. He told them it was always there....Google Earth to the rescue!!!!! Ouch....:(
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bruce,
True about the helicopters. I try not to go outside unless disguised as my airedale.
The F jets are the best though. They use our creek as some kind of run. They come straight up the creek at treetop height and at our house turn straight up. From the perspective of my next-door neighbor's deck it is heart stopping. I was there last month when I looked down the creek for about half a mile and saw one of those dark beauties coming straight at me in total silence. There was not a sound until it got to the point of hitting the afterburner and shooting for the moon. Talk about fudging your shorts. Whew!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well guys... this is the business I'm in. Google and Microsoft use primarily DigitalGlobe and GeoEye satellite imagery for their high resolution data. The lower resolution imagery on Microsoft is our stuff. The Birds Eye View is provided by a company called Pictometry. They have a patented camera system. They sell the imagery to Microsoft (Bing) and to State & Local governments, primarily for tax assessment and code enforcement.

We use the data for Military and IC (don't ask) purposes but have a commercial element and do some fun stuff like this....

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ba ... rdland.jsp

I've been doing this kind of thing for 27 years... it's been fun seeing the evolution of the technology.

PaulJ
1973 B28 - PALADIN