Diesel truck advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

Diesel truck advice

Post by JohnCranston »

Are 03 3/4 ton Ford 7.3 diesel just got swiped at a parking lot in downtown Houston...imagine that. We're considering a 06 or 07 Dodge mega cab with a 5.9 Cummins. Any thoughts between the 24 valve 5.9 and the newer 6.7?
Any advice would be appreciated.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
scot

Post by scot »

John,

Go with the 06 5.9. This was one of the best 5.9 years.

I have a close friend with an 06 2500 5.9 4x4 hot rod. He loves the truck, it's twisted a bit and makes 650+hp and stays together. The 07 is a much more complicated vehicle.

The only down side to 06: The ACs are weaker at idle in this series of Dodge truck than others years. They are fine at any speed, around town, etc. But they will not stay "ice" cold in an August Houston traffic jam.

My 97 5.9's AC is much stronger at idle. I have spent a bit of time in his 06 and it was never uncomfortable...just not artic grade refrigeration. I would not let this stop me from buying an 06.

Sent you a PM.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

I've had a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel, and I've had a Ford 3/4 ton diesel. The Dodge looks much better. But the 325 hp ford? Yahoooo! That sucker would smoke the tires all the way down the block......stock. 20 mpg on the highway in a 7300 lb truck? nice.
But the Dodges do look sweet...... :)
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I have an 05 5.9 and I love it. The new 6.7 is the same block as the 5.9, but it has a 6 speed tranny behind it and a factory exhaust break. It also has this new emissions crap (diesel particulate filter) that been giving them some real issues. I think its just a check engine light and poor fuel mileage, nothing that will leave you on the side of the road. You can also buy the diesel particulate delete kit and get rid of it. If you take the DPF off then you get your mileage back and know more problems. 5.9 is still king, probably beacuse of this one issue. The 6.7 is just as good of a motor if you get rid of the Diesel Particulate Filter in the exhaust. You cant go wrong with the 5.9, it's bullet proof. And if you go back with Ford, find another 7.3.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks,
Scott I got your pm and will give your friend a call today...good advice.
Jeremy, If you changed the exhaust with one of those stainless 4" units that do away with the catalytic converter, will that solve the problem with the 6.7?
Thanks
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

JohnCranston wrote:Thanks,
Scott I got your pm and will give your friend a call today...good advice.
Jeremy, If you changed the exhaust with one of those stainless 4" units that do away with the catalytic converter, will that solve the problem with the 6.7?
Thanks
Yes, or some guys are just cutting the DPF out and replacing is with a 4 inch piece of pipe. A lot of aftermarket companies are selling new exhaust from the turbo back that does away with the DPF. But being that it has factory 4in. exhaust there's no need to buy "turbo back 4in. exhaust, just cut it out and weld it in...same result. Now, if you wanted to upgrade to 5in. exhaust you would buy the a new kit. The motors are new but the I think in time were gonna find out its just as good or better than the 5.9 (without the DPF). Better turbo, tranny, exhaust brake, etc..
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

No annual State Vehicle inspections where you guys live?
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Calif. has a 2 yr smog check for gassers.. not diesels....
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

no inspection in Florida yet.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The Cummins B series engine can't be beat. 6 in a row- nice and simple.

Love the pre 07 Dodge trucks. Reason for pre 07 is mostly because of the regen and potential out of pocket cost of the aftertreatment (dpf) components, blow a turbo and buy an entirely new system (big dollars)

The earlier common rail engines are much quieter and produce plenty of power for the normal user. If you'd like to tweak the system there are plenty of options. Keep in mind the Dodge transmission is the weak link in the system (pre 07-not sure about the newest unit) and you should tweak accordingly.

The best fuel economy came from the noisy old 2 valves- mid 90's vintage. Low to mid 20's. I'm actually looking for an old Ram 250 with a 2 valve to build as a project truck.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
scot

Post by scot »

The best fuel economy came from the noisy old 2 valves- mid 90's vintage. Low to mid 20's. I'm actually looking for an old Ram 250 with a 2 valve to build as a project truck.
JP I'm a big fan of the mechanical 12 valves as well, I love my 97 6B 2500 4x4. These vehicles have a strout, simple tranny. Mine made 260,000 before the tranny needed a re-do. I have done very little work on the truck and it's at 310,000 now.

You are correct about the mileage, mine get's around 20 mpg. The new stuff makes bu-cu more hp but the mileage is just not there.
Scot
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Own an 06 2500 2wd. Almost a work truck set up but with auto trans, air, carpet, and cloth seats. Only had it for a year now and love it. Has a K&N induction pipe and filter on it and a 5 in exhaust with a flow through muffler. Previous owner installed. Looks like a school bus pipe coming out the back end. Previous owner also messed with the computer so I get really good power. If I keep my foot out of it I get around 22 mpg. No problems....nothing more than oil and filters needed so far.
Tom

Walter

Post by Tom »

Walter, Here in Texas, they check us every year but just blinkers, brakes, and bullshit. No emissions check on the diesels. $12 tax and your out the door.
Viva la Presidente!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Here, besides all the lights, brakes, etc they strap the car down on a flatbed instrument, connect a hose to the exhaust, put the car into gear and run it up to 60 mph! All for about $38.00.
scot

Post by scot »

A few years back Texas tried to get state wide emission check, based on the requirements of the vehicle's year...never came to pass.
Scot