The Hunt Begins

Post by Capt. DQ »

Starting out going Marlin fishing on the Bertram 31,

Image[/img]

Action starts early with the angler hooked up to a Blue Marlin,

Image[/img]

Still fighting Mr. Blue Suiter,

Image[/img]

After about 50 min. battle Mr. Blue is tired and comes along side, estimated 275-300#

Image[/img]

Mr. Blue is a caught & released fish to give another angler a battle & show for another day,

Image[/img]

Lines are in perparing to throttle up for the cruise back,

Image[/img]

Looking forward to a nice ride home,

Image[/img]

A couple of nice shot looking down to the cockpit of 31 running home,

Image[/img]

Crusing @ about 21-22kts for a comfortable ride,

Image[/img]

The Captain enjoying a successful & safe day of fishing,

Image[/img]

Fort Pickens on the starboard side of the boat before entering P'cola pass,

Image[/img]

Its R & C chilling out time now.

Here are a couple of extra cool shots from P'cola Beach,

Image[/img]

And The World Famous Blue Angels on P'cola Beach are flying next to Emerald Isle Condo's back in July of 09,

Hope you enjoyed the pictures,

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Hope you enjoyed the pictures
I did, immensely!
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

excelent
keep them coming
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Sure brightened my day , Doug, thanks.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
John F.

Post by John F. »

That was great.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Picture postcards all.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

really nice!!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Superb.
Harv
Carl

Post by Carl »

Funny, my dad used to giant fish in Glouster each year. He would come home with rolls of film filled with pictures of water, boat wakes and ripples, could point out things here and there with a little story as to why he snapped that picture. The family would be like why all these pictures of water as he clicked the next slide into view and the new tale began.

Now I have a collection of water pictures of my own, many with just boat wakes and I can look at them for real long periods of time and I have little stories for each as well.

Great pictures and thanks for sharing!

Carl
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

DQ,

You just made my day.....thanks for the great shots of your successful outing!

TD
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

DQ- you just made me hate being at work even more. Those are just great.

Sim- I know how you feel, it's strange thing to get older.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Wonderful Doug! ! ! !

Very inspiring......

Thanks

H
hb
gmelvin

Post by gmelvin »

What a way to brighten my day, Thanks!!!
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Thanks Everybody for the compliments, I'm gald I was able to brighten or even put a smile on some people's face or get that fishin fever. Thats actually my son in the fighting chair that come home from school between semesters last week, and we as Father & Son have not been able to fish together for a while.

So I cannot tell you how good it made me feel and especially him with a Blue Marlin last Wednesday when everything just went off so great. I also didn't even show the pictures of the other fish we caught including a Wahoo about 40# and Dolphin around 25-30# which was in the fish bag on the back deck. We cook Wahoo & Mahi-Mahi on the grill that night...and Damn that was some find eaten fish.

IT ALWAYS GOOD TO STOP AND SMELL THE SALTWATER EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE.

Enjoy,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
neil

Post by neil »

doug ,great pics but i need to know is the wahoo bomb working for you
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Neil,

The Jury is still out on it...but I'm working on it, the fat lady has not sang yet. So its still in the game....my crew keeps changing it out when I'm not looking.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

DQ-

After a long day of work and not one fishing trip this summer! That Labor daY tournament and the Gulf of Mexico are calling my name. I will be passing through your neighboring pass outbound friday night! Great PICS!! and hopefully that marlin is waiting on my hooks!

-ANDY
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Purple?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Andy,

Good Luck on this weekend, hope you get-cha one on the hook. Hope the weather holds for ya'll. I want be fishin again till the 12th & 19th, weather permitting. JP called and said, he might be down for the 12th maybe.

DQ

Andre,

I'll get-cha a picture of the bomb and pm you unless Neil wants to post it up...buts its not purple. You'll understand when you see it.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Pretty trip DQ

What's in the red cup Capt?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

What "Red Cup" ossifer?????

H
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

JP,

Thats a plain coke with ice in that red cup. Now when we hit the dock that all changed very quickly...the red cup became a party cup with Cruzan Dark Rum...and was in full tilt and then and the grill was lit and the rest is history. Needless to say...going to work the next day was rough.

Harry,

Now don't start laughing yet now, JP just probing the waters with those Firefly's.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

good i like the idea of using hi-vis line on the reels . makes trolling a hell of lot easier . great pictures ---released big marlin it don`t get better then that.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Al

Post by Al »

Great photos. Thanks for sharing them.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you catch the BM on? Several marlin were caught over here in St. Augustine earlier this year (by others I'm sad to say) on a blue and white C&H American Express.

Tight lines,
Al
Al
1970 31' FBC Hull No. 315-901
"Teppi"
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Thanks Al for the compliments on the pictures, the lure was a Wide Range Blk/Orange Softhead position either on the port or starboard short flat line usually works the best.

If you look at the first Blue Marlin picture you'll see the orange part of the lure. But all Softhead lures work well for me on catching fish.

R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Al

Post by Al »

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Al
1970 31' FBC Hull No. 315-901
"Teppi"
scot

Post by scot »

Thanks for the pictures DQ, they are threads of hope for guys neck deep in ambitious projects!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Garry

Post by Garry »

Doug,

Great shots and thanks for sharing. That is a nice Blue...congratulations. Seems like the black/orange sr wide range is a mainstay in the arsenal of other bluewater anglers on this board. What you say Uncle Vic.

Garry
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Scot
Glad it helps give you hope, because if you have ever done these projects before it can get stalle sometimes. It took me a while to make my project changes I wanted including engine conversation from gas to diesel, paint the hull, bulkheads, fiberglass shaft logs, gezzz you name it.

But once that project plan comes together and it performs like you want, its a great feeling. Its great to own a classic boat/fishin machine thats turns heads anywhere you go, I still pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming. The very first time I ever fish on a B31 back in 1980, in was awesome, I told myself one day I'll get me one of these bad boy boats, Thanks to Capt Patrick and his site he started which helps B31 owners today like never before.

DQ

Garry,
Your right about that, if Softheads are not in your spread, you be missing some fish catching lures.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hi Pockets - I ain't picky - I pull any kind of bait as long as its a Halloween Wide Range Softhead rigged with two 180 degree 7732 Mustad 11/0s on 300# floro....

Feeling better every day...me & the Bride sat out at the camp and pigged out on some boiled crabs this weekend, first I've been able to eat in a year and they were fantastic....Manchac # 2s at $15/doz already boiled.....and a cold brew or two. I'm baaaaaack!

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

UV- That's great news! Made my Labor day! Walter
randall

Post by randall »

UV..thats just really good to hear. your pleasure is shared by all!!....thanks
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

UV... Glad to hear the positive news. I missed your wry comments. Good vibes sent your way from all directions maybe worked after all.. plus I am sure lots of TLC at home!

Now.. How about another recipe? I made the Boston Butt and the two oyster recipes you posted eons ago.. how about a nice shrimp recipe? We have excellent local shrimp here, and I can eat my weight in them if allowed.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

UV,

Glad to hear you're back on solid foods! I'll give you a call in the next day or so...

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

UV thats great to hear you are back feeling better. I second the new recipe if you could.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV glad to hear you chime in again, we've missed you,
I ain't picky - I pull any kind of bait as long as its a Halloween Wide Range Softhead rigged with two 180 degree 7732 Mustad 11/0s on 300# floro....

UV, if that isn't being picky...I don't know what else is, but that's a good choice to me my friend. Because I'm picky right along with you on that one. You need to get AJ out there looking for Mr. Blue Suiter again.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Doug, I'm shooting for blue water next year....in fact, the UVI 8 or 9 or whatever is gonna happen, yep it is.....I'm taking my son Capt. Brent and my son in law Chuck the architect to TSL next summer, probably in August after the schools start here (they start real early here, like second week of August, so the kids can pick cotton)....I have not set the dates yet, probably do the 4 day fishing deal....so if any of y'all wanna come along, we'd love to have some competition for Top Angler.

Now for the recipe....I did this one last week, just had a craving for some sea scallops....went to Whole Foods and got some very samll fresh "Mexican Bay Scallops".....they looked real to me and were only $7.99/lb....got a pound and some small fresh mushrooms, name started with a "C", not chantelle, something else...they looked like regular white button mushrooms but were sort of golden brown but a strong, good smell...$3.99/lb. and got some of them..

So I took a big iron skillet and melted a stick of real butter and poured in about half that volume of extra virgin olive oil, brought to a slow simmer...then put in a bunch (maybe 6 or 8) of green onions, chopped, some (a whole head) chopped fresh garlic, a couple teaspoons of jar crushed garlic, a dash of soy sauce, the juice of one lemon, and let that simmer for a while until the veggies got cooked down...added some white wine now and then when it needed thinning ....cooked it down a few times...then sliced the mushrooms lengthwise and put them in to simmer for a good while, until they started to shrink....when the mushrooms are about thru putting off juice, put in a good dollop of dry vermouth, yep, like you use in martinis....stuff has a great cooking flavor.

When the mushrooms are done then add the rinsed and drained scallops and simmer for THREE AND A HALF MINUTES, no more..... push the scallops around gently with a spatula while they are simmering.....serve over pasta, rice, or toasted french bread.

I've made this same recipe using small peeled shrimp and leave them in the saute' for no more than five minutes. Oysters do fine too, just simmer until the curl......say 4 minutes...if you do oysters, use the oyster likker to simmer the veggies down in as well as the butter and olive oil...

Now you will notice I put zero seasoning in this....other than the dash of soy....all the flavors come from the vegies and wine, and the mushrooms and scallops themselves.. I promise this is about the best thing you ever ate....a pound of scallops and mushrooms will feed about 4 or 5....if you can't get the small scallops, cut the big ones up to about the size of your thunb. In fact, I have some left over in the frig I'm fixin' to go heat up and slurp..

UV
randall

Post by randall »

i'm not much of a foodie but readin that got me hungry for sure.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Damn that recipe made me hungry UV, I'm going to get my stuff together and try it. I'll let you know UV how it taste. Sounds Gooooood! Thanks

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Ill give that recipe to my daughter n law..
Welcome back Uncle Vic
Wayne