weed killer thread

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Raybo Marine NY

weed killer thread

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I searched the old topic talking about killing weeds, but for some reason I could not reply to it.

I have some heavy duty work to do around the shop, the weeds are at the time of the year where they must go.
I have a 4 gallon backpack sprayer coming this week and needed to know where on Long Island I can pick up some chemical that will work and wont make me pee neon green or kill the birds and dogs.

thanks!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Robbie,

Roundup is probably the best commercial chemical on the market... Several formulas to choose from depending on what you're killing.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

#2 diesel works the best, no kidding, and I live where weeds rule.

UV
neil

Post by neil »

once again capt patrick is right roundup or what is called razor capt patrick you missed a fun time in point judith neil
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you get Roundup use the 41% solution mixed 5 oz to the gallon Also add nonionic surfactant 3 oz per gallon. it will take a week to kill it, but it is a systemic herbicide that is absorbed in the plant and kills the root as well as the tops.

A more permanent kill can be gotten using Pramitol. This will sterilize the soil for a period of time. You can add diesel to this mix for a quick kill. Pramitol can migrate with surface water sometimes, so don't put it uphill from the yard!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

I just cant be putting diesel in the ground, or anything else that may show up later or hurt the water.
I have water less then 8' below ground, it obviously flows south in my area which means it goes under houses before making its way into the bay.

We also get our drinking water from below ground and we are subjected to soil testing.

I guess I will use the Roundup and just mix it a little strong, it worked for me last time but took a LONG time to spray because I was using one of those tiny $20 sprayers, im hoping this backpack sprayer speeds things up a bit.

I just remember some talk about roundup's patent being up and another product to use, I just dont know where to buy it and if I can without a license.

I did pour a fuel filter full of old fuel on one spot and the weeds were dead within a hour!

On another note- what kills poison ivy?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

On another note- what kills poison ivy?
Again, Roundup... They have a flavor just for poison ivy.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Raybo Marine NY

I had a guy who worked here go right into that poison ivy tree and rip it out like it was nothing, I cant believe he did not get anything from it!

Guess I will be making my way to the roundup aisle!
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

take a look at brush b gone.. you can use a hose sprayer attach.dilutes it to specs
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

You can use any glyphosate, generic or Roundup. Make sure that you buy a surfactant to go with it if the surfactant is not already in the product. There is a Roundup product called Quickpro that has Dicamba added to it. It may be better for what you are doing as it has a little bit of residual herbicide effect without the risk of runoff.

http://www.monsanto.com/ito/layout/turf/quikpro.asp
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

thanks for the help, now hopefully I can find some pro strength stuff that I can buy without a license
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Most farm and home type places sell 41%.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tom

Post by Tom »

That poison Ivy flavor Roundup is awesome stuff. Ivy doesn't bother me, but my bride blows up like puffer fish if she's around it. Which is ok but it affects the bedroom thing. So i went on a mission one day and it was all dead within a couple of days. It was also deadly on her azaleas and some pot plants. So now that the ivy is no longer a concern, she's pissed about the azaleas so I'm getting no action anyway.
Viva la Presidente!
Harv

Post by Harv »

My gardner recommends Roundup as well. Available in the one gallon pump sray.
Harv
Raybo Marine NY

where the ivy is there is no vegetation I wish to save, its along side the building between my property and the neighboor, its really his problem for just letting it get to where it is, damm thing is a tree now and makes you itch just looking at it. We have no business being back there and I feel it will give a thief bastard his just rewards should he decide to jump my fence in that area, but its right against my building so something needs to be done about it now.

Im thinking of trying one of those total vegetation killers that hook up to the hose so I dont have to go anywhere near it.

The one gallon sprayer of roundup wont do it for me, its time for the heavy duty 4 gallon sprayer and getting rid of these things for the season.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:I just cant be putting diesel in the ground, or anything else that may show up later or hurt the water.

You missed the ignition step.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Raybo,

YOu will be happy with straight up Roundup from Home Depot. It kills all.

The new stuff has spots and wilting showing up within hours...

Dug
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Raybo Marine NY

well we sprayed about 20-24 gallons of the the roundup, mixed it a little stronger then what it said, everything is turning brown so I guess it worked.

Still have to deal with the big poison ivy bush behind the shop, the day we were ripping out weeds to get close there was a slight breeze so I did not want to get too close back there.

Home Depot had some roundup stuff, pretty basic. I used what I had left over from last year that I bought at Costco.

I went to lowes and they had the XL or whatever you call it, and some monster sized $300+ jug of the heavy duty stuff, cant bring myself to spend that much to kill weeds, the $60 concentrate from Costco seems to be doing the job just fine.

the backpack sprayer I got from Northern was the key, much better then the crappy little gallon pump sprayer I had, much easier on the back then leaning over with that stupid thing
J Clark

Post by J Clark »

Round Up is a great product, and as mentioned in this thread is a systimic, and needs to translocate to the root to kill the plant. If you want fast results you can use a contact herbicide. It will burn the leaf structure of the plant, shuts down the vascular system, puts the plant into stress and it's dead. Gromoxone, will take care of any and all broadleaf, vines or grasses, two days dead plant, brown up in six to eight hours. Keep it away from anything you don't want dead. No residual, gone in the soil in a few hours. Use with or without suffactant.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

My farmer sprayed Gramoxone this spring at 7pm and by the time I got up in the morning the whole firld was brown! I hear that if you spray an 80 acre field the first part you sprayed will be dead when you finish. They call it "burn down". The problem is that the roots can still be alive because the top dies before the poison can be absorbed into the plant. Actually Roundup kills a lot of weeds better, since it also kills the roots. It just takes longer and allows the poison to be carried throughout the whole plant.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

I really want the crazy stuff behind the building gone, as much as it provides cover from thieves its up against my steel building and I prefer it not be there.

The vacant property next door is for sale so maybe if that happens I wont have a hard time clearing it for them.