canyon fishing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

canyon fishing

Post by bob lico »

brewster,dug.jp, mike, and all the brothers that venture to the norteast canyon are you aware of that big eddy of 77 degree water that showed up ? 4 marlin one in excess of 500 lbs release south of the dip also brought a pods of small yellowfin.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Small yellowfin seem to be everywhere. More interested in the billfish at this point. If we can get a couple maybe 3 shots a day that worth running. The little low thats coming up over the today and tonight bears watching, then the weather goes to crap again on Sunday.

Our BFT bite has been off the hook locally and down to the south a bit. With some smaller yellowfin around as well its been easiers to run 50 miles from home and know your gonna catch than risk running 100 and hope you get a keeper.

My brother fished last week and had a blue suit offshore but no tunas, we are just waiting for this water to roll down the shelf, I'll be staying inshore and catching blue fins this weekend. Just gotta try and stay away from the googan's or my WWWWB's will end up as prop candy for them. I'll fish the Beach Haven White Marlin Open next week with my brother and hopefully the water will have some life in it. Either way it'll feel good.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp are you within range of 100 square ? 68 degree on one side 78 degree in eddy thats where all the blue marlin were along with 20 lbs yellowfin rather odd air temp is at record low for three months but extreme temp breaks coming up from south many have talk about white marlin in spread.i cannot ever remember going to canyon with marlin as the targeted species !!! weird but how many of us are going to chase the "moon" like that unless your well off with alot of time on your hands but the blue suits are definitly there.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

i am supposed to do an inshore run tomorrow from jones inlet, not sure if i should work southeast -compass rose-virginia-bacardi or south---lillian-glory hole---any reports? I think babylon tuna club is holding their tournament out of fire island this weekend.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Atlantis on the back NE side of the swirl yellows to 80# and marlin also. Everywhere else small yellows.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

craig the babylon tuna tour. is this weekend but the hudson canyon is producing small yellowfin and a few white marlin . brewster info on alantis is new info but thats a long ,long run for you out of jones inlet , but for tuna of size you are better off waiting for that warm water to move to the hudson .with a zillion boats from the tourn. going to hudson/deep/100 square we will find out this weekend for sure .all of us should keep our ear to the ground and report.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

bob,

i am going short looking for BFT---anywhere from 20-60 miles from jones--let me know if you get any reports-right now i am throwing darts at the chart.
mikepelham

Post by mikepelham »

how about off of LBI, NJ. Any reports that you are hearing, relatively close within 20 miles?
Dug

Post by Dug »

All my info has told of fish on the flats, and north of the tails. Great break showed up last week. Wind has sucked... or blown, depending on your point of view. I don't want to be out getting pounded in 4-6' seas...

New life raft should be ready to go in a couple weeks, and I am declaring open season. Pretty psyched. A Switlik MD2. My last Switlik lived to be 23 years old. Damned impressive!

I and my crew have been watching intently. Just been big waves... Lots of small yellows. One boat from my harbor went out two weeks ago, got 40 fish, 10 keepers. Sounded awesome!

D
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you went first class dug that seems to be the raft of choice for the big money boats in this marina.craig i was at the marina today all the boys we setting up for tournament and nobody had any information on tuna whereabouts west except tom`s canyon which is way beyond your coftable distance offshore.good luck craig i wish i could help you.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Guys,
Like Brewster, I have been hearing many recent reports of larger yellowfin, and plenty of both flavors of marlin. East.
Dug,
I had my 8 man offshore raft put into a new cannister (was in a valise), now I just have to get it out of hock. Boat finally went in, done a few trips, everything runs & looks pretty good. Well, if you don't count the fact that I have no canvas, and so am totally open. Pray for sunny, wind-free days. I will be dropping by Point Judith during the rendezvous. See everyone there!!!
Steve