My husband Bertram 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tammy

My husband Bertram 31

Post by Tammy »

My husband received much advice regarding the care of his beloved Bertram 31 from this message board. Now I need some advice. My husband passed away suddenly last month of a heart attack. I love his boat but it's too much for me to handle but I don't know if there is a right or wrong time to put a boat on the market. I would love an idea of what the market for a Bertram 31 is like in this tough economy. I appreciate any thoughts you would be willing to share with me. The boat is docked in the Northern Neck of Virginia. Thanks
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Tammy........so sorry to hear of your husband's passing.

The market is tough right now......it would help to know the year, type of engines, style of the boat (flybridge, express), condition, equipment. Photos would be a great help. Then a baseline value could be established. All other things being equal, the Bertram has more value than a similar size and year of most other brands of boat. I sold mine three years ago, and it took a while to sell, but it did sell. My own opinion is that it is better to ask a somewhat low price in order to sell the boat quickly....the more time that passes, the more money you will pay in storage, insurance, and maintenance. That is just my own opinion, of course. I'm sure a lot of folks will chime in with their own... :).

Again, very sorry to hear the news. Best wishes to you and your family,
Steve
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Tammy, My condolences for your loss. I agree pretty closely with Steve. The market for all boats is not very good. But, your question was when is it better to put a boat on the market. The common wisdom in the northeast is Spring brings a higher price, because the buyer wants a boat and can have a full season without paying winter expenses. The northern neck of Virginia may not be as affected by this because you have a longer season, but it is still a consideration.

The flip side of the coin, which is what Steve was saying, is that if you don't sell her than you will have to pay all those expenses yourself. If you were using the boat I might say to keep her and ask for the higher price. But if you don't run her, you might be better off putting her on the market now.

Again my condolences.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Tammy, You say you love the boat but it's too much to handle. There are schools that will teach you to handle her. It may seem daunting at first but there is not more easily handled boat.
There are several of us who live in the Northern Neck including yours truly. Call me, let's talk. I may be able to help either way you wish to go.

804-438-5543.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tammy,
Sorry for your loss.

The market is not the greatest right now, but I have been doing some sales surveys over the last few months.

I just did one on a 31 that sold down here in Florida so they are selling. Island Girl and Buddie Boy sold not long ago also.

Mikey can probably give you a brokers name up there but here's a name on one down near me that knows the 31 and sells a bunch of them. I know cause I put the engines in his 31. He has contacts all over.

MacGregor Yachts

561-799-6511 Jaime MacGregor is the owner.

Ask for Tom Downey. Tell him Bruce said to call.

You need any other info on the boat or just questions feel free to call
561-622-1736.

If you can give a listing on what type of 31, power, condtion, etc we will give you a approx value.

Don't sell too fast. I know of one 31 owner who got his boat from a skell who gave a widow peanuts in her time of grief.
Last edited by Bruce on Jul 19th, '09, 17:32, edited 2 times in total.
guy

Post by guy »

Tammy ,I am very sorry to hear about your husband.I don't exactly know what the proper protocall is on bertram31.com but after it is established,I would be interested in talking to you about your husband's 31. thank you gillguy @earthlink.net
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Tammy: I am very sorry to hear about your loss! I too am in the Northern Neck: White Stone to be exact. Mike and I would be glad to help you in any way we can. If you don't mind my asking, what was your husband's name, as I am wondering if I knew him? You can PM or email me if you don't feel comfortable posting it. You can also call me at (804) 761-0892 if needed. Rawleigh Simmons
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Tammy; I can only echo what the above posts have said and words will not completly help. There for we are here to help if we can. I like Mikey live in the Northern Neck as do a few others, so if you would like give give myself or Mikey a call .
Chris Pague
804-580-4409
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?