TWIC (for Dick Dean)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

steve miller

TWIC (for Dick Dean)

Post by steve miller »

Dick,
The TWIC card is a useless, dreamt up by even more uselesss bureaucratic, piece of $+)T!!!! It has no use other than to enrich Lockheed-Martin and other useless bureacratic entities. You will never have occasion to use it, because it is...USELESS. It is accepted nowhere, by nobody, because it has absolutely NO F^&*(%G USE!!!!!!!!!
(and, I don't really like it;)
Mine came from a.....trailer....in a parking lot....nobody knew where to find the trailer....I am NOT making this up. It has been ready for weeks...I don't know if the trailer is still there, so I am reluctant to travel all the way to Providence to get it..........
Ahh, well, a great chance to rant:)
Steve :wink:
scot

Post by scot »

Unfortunately the TWIC card is not useless if you enter facilities with ports. I am on the Gulf coast and ALL refineries, chemical plants and Ports require that you are a TWIC card holder to enter the facilities. I had to show mine last week to entry a sulfur loading facility.

I'm not a big fan of Gov intervention, but I always felt it was incredible that ANYONE could drive into a facilty and walk right up to an EO tank, cracker units or ships full of highly exposive chemicals. So, at least it's something. Poorly run...yes (it's a Gov program, duh)
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I thought it was rather humorous that when I asked for a receipt for my fee, the computer printed out one from Lockheed Martin. Outsourcing from the Department of Homeland Security? Walter
steve miller

Post by steve miller »

Scot,
What I meant (but didn't say) is that If you are a charter captain, it's useless. The overwhelming majority of us will never get near a secure facility while charter fishing. Not ever. Requiring all charter captains to have the card; or lose their license, is overkill by a country mile. They say your new TWIC card is a valid U.S. government I.D. I challenge you to present it at an airport as I.D.. It *would* be good for some laughs......

So, for me, not only is it useless, I had to track down the (mobile) ofice/trailer, be treated like a convict, pay more money than I could afford, and...oh,yeah, lose a day of work......for a useless (to any charter captain) piece of $h*t......
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

what i don`t understand is the people who gave me the twic card just dublicated what i already did . i have a merchant marine officer 50 gross ton captain lic. with towing endorsement.they have my prints and photo why are we paying for it again? when i called cc head quarters i was able to talk to a real coast guard officer and he said it would be best to get it but not that i would lose my licence.go figure!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

I think it's a GD threat, but the problem is that the people who handle your paperwork and/or the people who board your boat really DON'T know what is the truth and what isn't. I wouldn't want to be boarded today without one. The girl at the USCG at South Ferry NY, wasn't a Coastie, but was the one who handled my paperwork and told me I HAD to get a TWIC card...and her answer to my question "why?" was "Homeland Security". Legally (if you wanted to go through the trouble and cost), I don't think they can withhold your license renewal if all else is proper.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

walterk i think thats what the coastie was hinting "they cannot stop you from renewing if everything else is in order" they probaly won`t ask you for it either. remember on the bottom of the form you had to answer "how many ports you intend to be in" certainly not applicable to a 6pack charter boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob,
I think you may have some wrong info there, not sure but I've been in/out of the CG license offfice for the past 4 months dealing with my son trying to get his limited masters license which they require of him to drive a friggin launch at the local yacht club.
I believe you cannot renew any type of mariners or transportation license(that requires you to be in/out of ports) as of April 09 without the TWIC. And your current 6-pak license is in-complete without it.
I know all the drivers at our YC had to get it and these are just kids driving a launch!!!

Like I said I may be wrong but I would check it out again just to be safe..

Ray
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

like i said this was a coastie officer at battery park cg station. and he said it (as a matter of fact) it remains to be seen at renewal . i don`t have a 6pack license i went on to a 50ton merchant marine officer license . yes i have a twic card but will never use it .i have no intentions of visiting another port or fueling station.thats what the bitch is.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob,

I hear you, my son has over $750.00 invested to get his launch tenders license, and they have been processing it since march 27th.....
The whole license requirements and cost associated with them are insane...
Even my nephew who is a commanding officer in the CG has to go through the same crap after they sub contracted the licensing operation..

Ray
In Memory Walter K

That's the answer! They subcontracted the Licensing operation! They don't give a damn about what makes sense, they got the contract to make money, so they'll do it by the book, and no one, not even the Coast Guard, will buck it because they can't. Walter
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

I understand that Lockheed-Martin is now out of the picture and some other company is running the TWIC program. This new group has cut the amount they are paying to their agents to process individual applications to something around $5, so many of the smaller satellite offices have stopped work and turned everything back to central locations. This entire TWIC program is another stellar example of government deciding, "we must do something," and then implementing a program without ever deciding what "something" is and its overall effect on those concerned. It is all show and no substance.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Realize I also need this for my everyday job, as I go to piers, rail yards, and airports to pick up and deliver international cargo.
Anyone that is forced to get a Twic due to CG, MM, or DOT licensing, just get it, pay it, and deduct it at tax time......then just make sure it's with you on the boat or vehicle. Once all that is done, just forget about it.......
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Before I applied for my 50 ton Masters License I went to the local office that Lockheed Martin had set up for handling TWICs. There were 6 of us there.. I was the only one that spoke English well.. I asked the girl who waited on me who the other guys were and why did they need TWICs.. she said they were guys who unloaded the ships at the local state pier, and needed the TWICs to get through the entrance gate there.. I wonder if they all were here legally? If these guys could get a TWIC.. anybody could.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory Walter K

So much for waiting for months for a security check (which I already had for my carry permit) but then again, why check existing files when you can duplicate costs at taxpayer expense. Walter
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

I have a TWIK card for entering the Ports for my Land Rover Defender import/ hobby business, http://dividingcreekroverimports.com.
I agree that the way the whole TWIK phase-in was handled was abominable and $138 for a background check seems mighty steep since the temporary/day passes in December involved a "while you wait" background check. Before the Twik cards anyone could enter a port by showing a drivers license- not so secure so I guess from that standpoint it makes sense.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.