Diesel options

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Whaler1777

Diesel options

Post by Whaler1777 »

Any input on the 6cyl volvo diesels? Just looking at some options and came across this boat... It has volvo TMAD41A 250hp engines with plenty of room for a mase generator right beside it, are they a good match for the b31? also I have noticed a few boats with 4cyl yanmars??????? seems to be very underpowered? awesome engines but are these like 18knot boats?
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

That's "Rum Runner", used to belong to Tom Ward. The boat sold several weeks ago...

Br,

Patrick
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

whaler
i have 230 yanmars in my bahia mar and cruise at 24 kts, like i said in one other post, e mail me and ill be glad to help you out as much as i can. iam in freeport
RAWicklund

Re: Diesel options

Post by RAWicklund »

Whaler1777 wrote:Any input on the 6cyl volvo diesels? Just looking at some options and came across this boat... It has volvo TMAD41A 250hp
250hp? Sounds a little optimistic to me. I saw 41A's in another boat, and about 200hp was max.

I have a B28 FBC Volvo KAMD42's--rated 230HP and it tops out around 26-27kts.

These Volvo's (kamd42) have the supercharger compressor on them.

It's been a PIA ( and an arm and a leg)trying to get parts locally--2 local dealers still not up after Katrina.

I ordered about a $1000 worth of parts from a local mechanic. PO'd me when I got the bill---mechanic charged me 2 hours -$150- service charge just to order the parts. Oh well --live & learn.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

What gear box ratio's are you running?
I've gotten over 30knots with the Yanmar 240's in the 28.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Whaler,

I have the 240 yanmar 4 cylinder, and it is without a doubt not underpowered.

The boat runs awesomely!

if that is a word...

D
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Just out of curiosity, what does a typical B31 weigh?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

IRGuy

My 75 FBC is shown as 10,000lbs in the original brochure. The older ones are heavier. I do not have a tower. I have the larger fuel tank which when full will add to the weight. Tony Meola
Hueso

Don't share the secret

Post by Hueso »

Just remodeled the interiors in my 31........replaced all the wood with SINTRA plastic (pvc).......bit expensive but its worth it........no more termites, roaches, ants, etc......but the real secret is that my B31 lifted her nose a bit to counter the waves, thus, giving me a dryer ride............where you used a 1/2 plywood............I used a 3/4 or 1 inch sintra....blast it to make it porous and then glue some formica on .............however don't use it on the floor unless you have a good solid wood frame and, needless to say, try to paint it with non-skid paint or place some abrasive tapes.....or you'll go down my friend....

Image..you will not use wood anymore
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Hueso...

I am planning on redoing the interior of my B33 soon.. have been looking for options to mahogany or teak veneer plywood, but have not heard of SINTRA. How do you glue it, fasten it and how much does it weigh relative to plywood?

Any chance of you posting some pictures?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Sintra & Versacell are both trade names for Expanded PVC Foam Board...

There's a basic run down on it in the "Building Tips" section, entitlied:
PVC Foam Board as an Alternative to Plywood

Br,

Patrick
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Some more pics.........I even used it to replace the old structural walls and doors......of course with a 3/4 because the 1/2 is to flexible and that can be dangerous.......some fiberglass to secure the base and then three screws with bolts and nuts through the dry fiberglass....lighter boat = faster boat.........and those of you who dare enough to move the water and gas tanks 4 inches back.........you will have a totally different boat......yes it will be a rougher ride when she lands from a wave, but the B31 will use her belly to pound on the ocean giving you a dryer ride and a faster navigation