Pulling an Engine in the water

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt.Frank

Pulling an Engine in the water

Post by Capt.Frank »

I have to pull an engine 3208. Mechanic says use 2 55 gal barrels full of water to balance boat. Pull motor at the dock. 3208 w/gear about 2000 lbs barrels of water not 1000 lbs. Anyone pull motor in the water? Its a 15+ mi run on one motor to haul out.

Thanks
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I've seen engines pulled on boats in the water with no ballast. You'll list, but at a slip or dock, so what? Maybe there's something I don't know. Chime in guys.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I pulled a 440 Chrysler with BW gear from my B31 in the water 2 years ago. It listed, but not that bad. I don't know the weight comparison to a 3208 though!!! Make sure the exhaust and any thru hulls on the opposite side are above water or blocked! My exhaust stayed above water. I have pictures at home somewhere if anyone is interested. I did it in a friend's boathouse. After the engine was dangling overhead we pulled the Bertram out and lowered the engine into a tire positioned in the bottom of his 21' Southern Skimmer (like a Carolina Skiff), ran it across the creek and hauled the skiff with motor in it on his trailer. I took it home and removed the motor with a forklift. It went back in the same way. Redneck ingenuity at its best!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Raweigh,

You are as bad as me...lol. I thought I was the only guy that would handle an engine 3 times before it was "where" I wanted it.

The 440 +BW is around 1,200-1,350 lbs, I think the CAT 3208 will be 2,100-2,200 with the gear. "If" it has the TD MG506 gear, the gear is 350lbs alone.

I think the 2 drum offset should keep the boat from rolling over, you will still have a 1,200 lb list. As mentioned, plug EVERTHING, and don't forget the deck drains. Go to a plumbling supply and get an inflatable pipe plug for the exhaust.

3 drums would be better...as long as the deck area can support the 1,500 lbs of water, in one spot.

I think I would limp the 15 miles with the dead shaft locked down. 3208 is a wide beast and could do some damage to the boat (or you) should a wave show up at the worse time (engine unbolted, 1/2 out)

Good luck. BTW...oil pan rusted?
Last edited by scot on Jun 8th, '09, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Redneck ingenuity at its best!!
Love it! Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

scot

Post by scot »

Capt Patrick,

You win, that's the damndist cherry picker I have ever seen. I like the deer food plot maker as well.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

One cavaet: I was in sheltered waters and the boat stayed inside during the rebuild. The bilge pumps will be pretty useless while it is listing, so you may want to rig temporary pumps as a precaution.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
FWHaas3

Pulling 3208s in water

Post by FWHaas3 »

Capt Frank: For what its worth I just pulled a 3208 to replace an oil pan. We did it on land with a crane from the rear and it was a piece of cake. Sounds to me like there are to many things that can go wrong pulling the motor in the water.

I personally would not try it.

Fred Haas
Frederick W. Haas
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Take it from one who has pulled engines on boats at a mooring, then loaded into a row boat, then 6 guys lift it out of the row boat in the back of a truck.

I've also pulled gears this way.

When I was young and stupid.............

That being said pulling an engine in the water is easy with the right equipment.

That equipment is not a tow truck backed up to the seawall.

Crane trucks can be rented by the hour usually with a 3 hour min.

Don't forget to plug the exhaust. While it might be above the water line, a few boats became subs when ignoring this detail.

Like my friend said after complaining about a 150.00 estimate to trim his tree, that was nothing compaired to falling off the ladder with a running chain saw into my leg and the coresponding time off from work and medical bills that ensued.

15 miles ain't all that far.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I have BoatUS unlimited tow. They would do it for free. All you have to do is get out of you slip and call for help. Their rule is your dock to a marina is at half price; but if you become "disabled" they will tow you to a repair facility.
Just a suggestion!
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Thanks guys, using a crane. Not the oil pan,have a tap in the motor and are pulling the head. Both exhuasts will be pluged.

Thanks
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

it has been 15 years since i have seen a crane used to remove a boat engine. just wondering is that the way marine machanics do it in the rest of the country??? i am a little confused why a crane???
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

A buddy has a small crane and thats why Bob.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I am a little confused why a crane?
......Reachability......

Not every boat location has the convenience and accessibility by a forklift or skid steer, but a crane can access just about everything.

When Bruce and I did the layout and configuration for the engines on Buddy Boy, the boat was located in a tight corner of a fenced in lot with the stern to the fence. There was an alleyway on the other side of the fence that allowed easy access for a truck crane.

Picking up, hanging, & configuration of the engine to the engine beds was a snap and only took about an hour and a half. Only laid out one side and mirrored the other side.

Once the beds and ramps were finished, we brought the crane back in and set the engines in place for the move to an actual boatyard.

Br,

Patrick
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok captain patrick basiclly that is whats available. i could put a 3208 in the v-berth in 5 minute on a sport fisherman with a fork lift. the fork lift move left right/up down and angled tilt front up on down within a 1/2".yes we have a fork lift with 30' forks for big stuff but we use a small fork lift with adapter made from square steel beam with flat stock welded at tip with hook on 1 chain link (top of engine is only a few inches from hook)for tight area like 31 bertram under brim, when you are done you drop adapter on ground and slide the fork out in reverse----done.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Here's a crane removing a forklift from the water.

Last edited by Bruce on Jun 9th, '09, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

good god thats why they have huge steel beams at the launching area.oakdale yacth has a forklift twice that weight . sometimes rig with slings around bow and stern of boat around the folks to put boats on trailers or remove those 38' center consoles off the trailer in one shot.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

here is the fork lift adapter for engines up to 3208 in weight .tremedous advantage over a single load line from crane.most sport fisherman have engines inside cabin under floor. the big folkift can put a engine 30' inside a cabin. the smaller one can reach about 10' inside . we try not to destroy our backs and let the folklift do the work.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

here is another back saver we put the 31bertram on this and put it in any position to work on.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
gplume

Post by gplume »

Here is the "hack master" special....run for cover when the spruce goes twack. (ok..it was just my tranny.)

Giff
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Giff,
Love that big knot right where you have the most stress.
Hey, y'all, watch this!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you are right in line to be my next hero! 5000 lbs coffin hoist and new chain supported by a "double knotted home depot plank" yep your the man!!!!we definitly have to have a drink together.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

It was offered in humor I think! As he said, it was just the gear he was pulling. I agree that I wouldn't lift any more than that with it though!! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31