Bilge pump woes again

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Bilge pump woes again

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

AJ has a pair of Rule 2000 pumps, one forward and one at the stern. The forward pump does most of the pumping at rest. These pumps expire in less and less time....used to be a few years, now a few months. My "new" one crapped out a couple of months ago, and since they have a 3 year warranty I sent it back to the factory...they sent me a new one. In the meantime I'd bought a new one locally so the new warranty replacement became the spare. Noticed this weekend the damn new pump was out, froze up tight as a tick. This is crazy.

Anyway, I see in the new Hamilton Marine catalog Rule now makes a "Gold Series" bilge pump that looks just like the regular ones and costs about the same....squib in the catalog claims it is heavy duty vs. the regular ones.....maybe they wised up the regular ones are crap? Anyone tried the gold series or have any ideas how to make them last? Mine comes on maybe once or twice a day except in a heavy rain.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic
I likewise have wondered about the "Gold Series"......but have nothing to say about them

As far as Rule pumps go I have had many more float switch failures than pump failures. My last failure I am sure is because the switch stuck due to debris lodging under the float and the pump running while air locked for a long time and.......I guess it got to hot.

Not at all saying that's your problem....I like the Rule pumps.....and I do intend to install one of the Gold Series the next time I have to purchase a pump.

Harry
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

vic one of the old geezers at the marina adviced me on his method and it seems to work. i use a 500 rule in the stern bilge and then a "L" bracket glassed in about 3" higher on stern wall above bilge and here i mount a 2000rule . the theory is the higher pump being the backup pump does not cycle unless a heavy rain storm or backing down on fish. the mall pump does the routine rainwater pumpout and last much longer then the bigger one.this is my 2 cents but it seems to work and you allways have a backup.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

have to agree with harry, many float switches replaced, bob i like that theory. i have 2 2,000 one at the stern and one midship
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Bob - that is a good idea. In fact I have a small rule new in the box somewhere. My float switch on the offending pump has been there a long time....for a while I had switch failures but guess I finally got a good one. The pumps seem to be failing due to leaky shaft seals. I'll try a gold one this time and send the busted standard one back for replacement as a spare for the spare....

UV
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Just an idea, guys...
I've ended up with spare pumps, too, over the years. One was the result of replacing with a Rule Gold (works fine, longer that the standard). I found most problems stemmed from the float switch.

Anyway, I took one of the spare 2000gph pumps and mounted it on an epoxied wood base to which I epoxied a section of three-piece mop handle with a screw-on second piece. Twenty feet of wires (taped together every three feet) were attached directly to the pump and large spring clips silver soldered to the ends. Fifteen feet of the accordion type white hose was attached to the pump output. All this fits neatly into a mesh bag in the storage hatch right in front of the anchor locker on Triton II.

It's an emergency pump that I can clip to either battery and stick down into any of the access hatches to the bilges. The hose can be wedged out a scupper or hung over the side (there's a 4oz sinker wire tied to the end to keep it where I put it). An alternate base could be any of the synthetic decking materials but they don't take well to epoxy assembly. Try polyurethane glues on these.

OK, so I had a rainy Sunday and nothing to do! Still, it works...even though I hope never to use it. Maybe you guys can improve on the idea.
Jerry, Triton II
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i received a number of pm`s on the two pump rear bilge . i figured a picture would be self explanatory with shelf for second pump ( note pump switch hangs off shelf to turn on pum when water gets to bottom of shelf .i have only seen the second pump come on once after backing down on a tuna.took a wave over transum.wiring to each bilge pump is from seperate source . one pump house batteries second pump port engine battery.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Separate outlets out of hull?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes walter they are separate 11/4" 316 ss mounted at stern just under rubrail. i should mention when the bottom bilge pump goes bad i will replace with rule 500gpm.the idea here is to put the least amount of electric surge (instantaneous amperage on dc motor start against water) on rule switch which seems to be the weak link in the bilge pump operation.use 500gpm or smaller with 2000gpm back up .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have two thru hulls on starboard for bilge pumps and one on port.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
I just read in the trade paper that Rule is moving all of it's manufacturing out of Gloucester, Ma to their existing plant in Mecixo as of the end of this year, a loss of another 90 jobs. I've been using Rules in my boat for over 30 years, the last 2 didn't last more than a few years, I have switched to Johnson pumps with Ultima float switches when I replaced a burned out 2000 GPH last fall.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

pete thanks for the info. i will look into johnson products a.s.i,p.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Typical. Good products get lousier and lousier, then either merge with someone or outsource out of the country to make an even lousier product sold for even more money. The new American way. I was at my electronic servicer the other day and saw a pile of instruments on a counter that I thought were used ones that might be for sale. Noooo, they were instruments that had to be repaired but they couldn't get parts for due to mergers or an inability to get manufacturer tech input on. Names like Northstar, Teleflex, Simrad etc. The first thing to do before deciding on any new equipment is to call their service department. Get a recording and no callback the same day, forget it! With the short fishing season we have in the northeast, factory repairs are now a minimum of 3-4 weeks. A real encouragement for purchasing an expensive multi-task unit...especially since the technology is changing on an almost daily basis. Very frustrating. So far, my experience has been only Raymarine, Furuno and Garmin that has a Tech guy that actually answers the phone.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Ive got many rule pumps.. Replace them often.. I have one Johnson pump.. Ran it with an air bubble twice.. Would have burnt up a rule.. Still ticking.. maybe a change to Johnson is due.
Who carries them?
I got mine used.
Wayne