Island Girl - thank you!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

James

Island Girl - thank you!

Post by James »

As some of you will have read a couple of months ago I purchased the 1972 SF Island Girl from Tommy Drake. Island Girl just crossed the Atlantic to Genoa and arrived at her new home in Monaco last night. Tommy and Eddy Drake, who had kept her in immaculate condition during their long ownership, prepared her perfectly for the long voyage from New Bern and she arrived in really great shape. I'm extremely grateful to them and will continue to look after her in the same way.

Thanks also to Cpt Patrick as i've learnt alot from this site which helped me realise which specification suited my needs. It also helped introduce me to the Drake family. I'll continue to monitor this site for tips from the experts (and a donation is on its way).

If any members are in the South of France in future, be sure to get in touch and come for a ride on Island Girl!

James
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

James,

I'm glad to hear that Island Girl arrived safely in the Med, and that she's found a good home in Monaco. I know that you will be a good steward of her from this point forward (Uncle Vic reminds us that we don't own these boats so much as we are stewards of them for the next generation). As I shared with the guys on the Board earlier, Eddy and I enjoyed meeting you and your dad during your visit to NC and spending a few days with you on and around the water. I look forward to seeing a photo of Island Girl with Monte Carlo as the backdrop.

Capt Patrick, would you update the Images Page for Island Girl and replace my name with that of James? It's like parting with a member of the family, but I know she is in great hands!

Tommy
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

James,

I just got back from a visit to the North of France. It was a good time. We're planning on going back to see the south. Please plan on a boat ride when we get there. Best of luck with Island Girl.

br,

Terry
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Congrats, James!

You guys sure know how to use the envy factor to it's fullest...

James Auld wrote:Attached is just a little something to show you she’s here. In the background the old building is the Monaco Maritime Museum. I will still be getting the photo I promised of her in the port of Monaco but thought in the meantime you’d like to see this.

Take care.

Kind regards

James Auld
Tommy Drake wrote:I thought you might get a kick out of this picture of Island Girl as she arrives in Monte Carlo, Monaco. She was shipped from Savannah to Genoa, Italy, on a yacht-ship, and James ran her from Genoa to Monaco in four hours. He said both engines fired right up as soon as he hit the buttons, and he cruised her at 3200 RPMs making 27 knots, and she never missed a beat.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Beautiful... looks like a still from a movie filmed in 1972, and the girl is brand new.
Congrats on your new stewardship.

Were you guys drinking martinis in the photo? I feel like you should've been.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
James

Post by James »

Thanks to you all, it still hasn't sunk in that she's here...
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

James,

That's a beautiful picture. I was wondering if you put Island Girl on a container ship or one of the transatlantic boat transports.

JR
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

One last thing on my list to do before floating to the top of the fish bowl is see the F1 race in Monaco.

Need an inhouse Yanmar guy? I know the Island Girl in an intament way.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Now that is a nice picture...
Mack

Post by Mack »

Great spot - last time I was there was BC (before children). Though a B31 is the same size as the average yacht tender around there, I would still rather own a B31.

Enjoy the boat! I will be looking for it some day when I get back over there.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Dug

Post by Dug »

What a great shot. Enjoy that lovely ride. Sounds to me, and looks to me, as though she has found a great home.

Wow...

Dug