ISLAND GIRL: Good News / Bad News

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

ISLAND GIRL: Good News / Bad News

Post by Tommy »

Bad news: After a great 9-year run with Island Girl, my brother and I are parting company with her. From the time we took her from Jim Bailey in 2000 and shipped her down to Patrick and Bruce for the repower, we have had nothing but good service and good times with her and with all you folks here on the Board, at the FLL Show and the NC Rendezvous. It was only because of lack of use that I decided to let her go. I'm doing more shallow-water boating now, running the shoals off Cape Lookout and the shallow sound waters between Morehead City and Ocracoke Island.

Good news: Island Girl could not be going to a better steward than James, a yacht broker in Monte Carlo, Monaco. Although a broker by trade, James wanted a clean SF model with a functioning lower station as his personal boat for day-cruising in the Mediterrannean. James and his father spent the last three days with my brother, Eddy, and me, and we had a blast. James and Charles are two of the nicest folks that I have ever met, and it dampens the loss just knowing that Island Girl is in great hands.

So guys, I'll still be a regular on the Board; and keep your eyes out for a great looking B-31 SF the next time you are slumming in Monaco!

Tommy
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Tommy,

Sorry you have to part ways with Island Girl. What a beauty. I'm sure it was a hard decision after all of the effort to re power etc... Just from a purely selfish standpoint, I hate seeing such a beautiful boat go overseas. It makes one less of these great boats that I'll come across (buy someday) stateside. Maybe she'll be for sale when I retire in Monaco. (yea right)

JR
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tommy,

I am glad you found a good home for her. I am sorry she is going, but I do understand.

Good luck! And you are expected to stick around!!! :)
bertramsupermex

Post by bertramsupermex »

Tommy, sorry to hear about the news on Island Girl. That must have been one very very difficult decision. I know you truly put your heart and soul into Island Girl. I am glad to hear you have found a good trustworthy steward for her. I will soon find myself back in Jacksonville, NC and you will always have a place on SUPERMEX. Look forward to taking you this time and showing you the great time just like you did for me. Please keep in touch. r/ Roland
Proud owner of a 1967 B31 Sportsfisherman.
J Clark

Island Girl

Post by J Clark »

Tommy, I'm sure the Island Girl will sail away with a boat load of memories and fun. All boats big or small are an adventure, and to have owned a true classic and imparted the love and joy in her, as I'm sure you did, has prolonged the life of a great boat and left you with some great memories.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Jack and Dug,

Thanks guys; I'll miss her, but I still have Bertram fever. Hope to see you at the FLL Boat Show or another boating event some day.

Roland and Jim,

I'm counting on you guys coming to the NC Bertram Rendezvous the last weekend in May......with or without your 31s. Jim, bring Bucktail if you can, but please try to make it this year. Roland, I ran the Okeechobee Waterway across south Florida a few weeks ago, so I'm ready to ride shotgun with you on SuperMex when you bring her north from the Gulf.

And like I said, Bertram31.com is well represented in Monaco now.

Tommy
Buju

Post by Buju »

Tommy,

First off, congratulations on actually being able to sell a boat in this economy.

Second, what the hell are you thinking selling that beauty? I'm kidding, of course. It'd be a much bigger sin to let her sit at the dock and become dilapidated from lack of use. Takes a good dose of logic to make a hard decision like that.

Third, what route did you go for an inshore/bayboat? Did you pick up the Everglades?... or what? How do you like what you got? That newer Yellowfin 24 bayboat is really nice esp. w/ the 300hp verado on the stern....
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Tommy- Pick up that Cummins/Topaz that's on the site. Walter
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Walter,

I am a big fan of the Topaz as it is really a solid boat, and my neighbor at the beach loved his. The problem, however, is that she still has the running gear exposed underneath. I do a lot of boating in 3-6 feet of water and frequently beach the boat on the lee-shore of some of the exposed shoals south of Cape Lookout.

DQ,

Yes, I went with an Everglades 243 and we did a shakedown cruise on her last Saturday. She's not a Bertram, but she does everything that I want in a boat of her size.

Tommy
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Tommy,

Buju ask you that question about the Everglades 243 boat...not me, but thanks for reply.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
bertramsupermex

Post by bertramsupermex »

Tommy, I look forward to having you onboard when I make the trip north to NC from Tampa Fl. Glad I will have your experience onboard. As for the NC rendeveux, I will be up at Newport RI, taking a Command Officer course. Please pass along my best to the NC Faithful. I look forward to meeting them when I finally get settled in down there. I'll keep in touch. r/ Roland
Proud owner of a 1967 B31 Sportsfisherman.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Tommy,
I know you'll miss Island Girl but I understand the usage thing. Do you still have the B20?

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Buju, sorry about that. I had just spoken to DQ on the phone about some things when I posted back at you guys, and I still had him on my brain. That Yellowfin is real nice, but I'm happy with the 24' Everglades with the Yamaha 250 "fly-by-wire". It's seafoam (very light green) and has the powder-coated T-top. Like I said, they are not Bertrams, but nice nonetheless.

Roland, let me know when you head back to Jax, NC so we can give you a proper welcome. I will be glad to come over and help you get moved in....just holler.

Frank, I still have the 1969 Bertram 20' Sportsman (center console), but I've decided I don't have the get-up-and-go to restore her. I have her moth-balled at a friends shop. How are things at Oregon Inlet?

Tommy
Buju

Post by Buju »

Buju, sorry about that
No worries Tommy, I didn't loose any sleep over it. I'm still honored that you appointed me the board's "historian".
I still have the 1969 Bertram 20' Sportsman (center console), but I've decided I don't have the get-up-and-go to restore her. I have her moth-balled at a friends shop.
That is my dream boat... If you ever decide to part with her, please lemme know. I'm working on converting my B20 moppie to a c.c. with a mid-engine setup, which'll probably be a better riding boat than the sportsman, but I just love the sportsman...
here's a nicely re-done one for sale. Wish I could buy it, but I can only afford to buy boats that need to be restored... brand-new second-hand...
Image Image
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Buju-

I talked the owner of that B20 when I was looking. Nice guy, nice boat. When I get to it, I want to convert my Moppie to a center console also. If you've started to convert yours, or when you do, I'd like to see some pics.

John F.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Tommy, I'm sadden by the parting but time marches on. It's eleven yrs for me and boy what a ride the whole thing has been. I'm surre you feel the same.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Tommy,
Everythings going good up here,except the weather raining and windy.
I hope fuel stays $ where it is. At lest for the summer, before it rises again.
So I can afford to use the boat this year. Hope everyone in you family are doing well. I now you'll miss Island girl but I understand.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA