2009 site fundraiser and bailout

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

2009 site fundraiser and bailout

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Its time to raise some money to support our site here. I'm going to digress into some history for the benefit of you newer folks and perhaps some lurkers who follow our site bu may wonder where all this started.

Bertram31.com was started in 1999 by Capt. Patrick who is its sole owner and high muckety-muck, and is also lovingly known by the appelation of "Ole Fart". In 1999 a few of us with old Bertrams were posting on some other sites now and then and Patrick invited us to participate in his new site. And as they say, the rest is history. The site does not charge admission unlike most other boating sites. Over the years the notion of charging an annual membership fee has been kicked around, but rejected in favor of keeping the site free and open to all. Because Ole Fart spends his own money keeping this place up, as well as devoting considerable time to answering questions, posting up building tips, etc, it is necessary to find an income stream to keep this going in lieu of membership fees.

The solution is a simple one: everyone who hangs around here chips in some money now and then. There are no regular advertising sponsors that I know of. Bertram Yacht does not financially support this site, although they should be ashamed of themselves for not doing so, hear me Mr. Jones???? The contributions go to Capt. Patrick directly, no middle man. He uses the funds as he sees fit, and obviously has done a good job over the years since the site is still here.

There is little doubt that Bertram31.com is considered the premier boating website worldwide. A casual pursual of some of the other sites quickly reveals how petty and shallow they are. Our site is distinguished from those by a culture of mutual respect and zero tolerance for personal attacks. We do get mean now and then, but most all of us have very thick skins. Many of us have used this site as a springboard to forge strong lifelong personal relationships. In so doing we have had a helluva lot of fun. Our get-togethers are legend....the UVIs (Uncle Vic International Invitational), the various randevous(s?), the flophouse and boat shows, hunting trips, fishing trips, you name it and we have done it. Back when I traveled a lot for Uncle Sugar any time I'd be headed to a strange city I'd put out a call for dinner companions and bingo, we'd have a helluva party.

So anyway, down to business. Cash, check or money order payable to Patrick McCrary, mail to 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643. We like to suggest $100 as a good donation but any amount is welcome. You gotta admit that's a very small price for the knowledge available here, not counting the pure entertainment value....I mean, gimme a break, the pix of Ole Fart (who probaby scales in at 115# wet) and the fat gals is priceless.

You saw "Bailout" in the header, right? I'm offering a bailout for those who are having tough financial times right now but enjoy the site and would like to be among the Faithful supporting the site. Just email me, royvictor@cox.net and tell me you want to participate but have the shorts right now and I'll make a donation in your name. You can pay me back if you ever get straight, and if you don't that's fine. I'll send the Ole Fart one check with a list of names for his "naiughty or nice" list and I'll be the only one that knows, and I am professionally trained to keep my mouth shut.

Here's how we gonna do it: if you are in for this fundraiser, just post up "I'm in" under my post here and send your money directly to Capt. Partick, and do the same if you want to use the bailout, just send me an email too.

Let 'er rip!

UV
Harv

Post by Harv »

I'm in!!
Harv
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I'm in.

I am resolving to split my money into two submissions, year start and mid year.. it keeps the wife, who controls the checkbook happier!

"Gee sweetheart, don't you think $100 is a lot of money for you to send to someone you call an Ole Fart?" Fifty bucks slips under the radar screen.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
luis

Post by luis »

I'm in.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'm in

Harry
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I'm in also.
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

I'm in! Wish you were here Capt could stock your freezer with the Dodos we got yesterday. How do you put a pic on here?[/img]
"sometimes you go 8 sometimes you hit dirt"

Rob C
J Clark

Post by J Clark »

Im in, can't do with out my 31 fix once a day.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Thanks, Vic, as always for doing what has to be done.
Bet your butt I'm in!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Im in check is going out today.
Jack

Post by Jack »

The check is in the email - Thanks for keeping this great site up
unabashed hyena lover
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

In
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Wish you were here Capt could stock your freezer with the Dodos we got yesterday
I though those were extinct?
Carl

Post by Carl »

In

Thanks for the Kick UV
Carl
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

whats the address??
Rumrunner

Post by Rumrunner »

We are In
Capt Tom
Bill Mckinnon

I am in

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

Check will be in the mail Monday

Captain Billl McKinnon

Charleston SC
opunui

Post by opunui »

Aloha to all..were in.
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
JK

Post by JK »

I'm in.

--JK
kipp

Post by kipp »

Thanks for the reminder,Vic. THANKS capt Pat.
Will mail tom.
kipp
Al

Post by Al »

We're in.
Al
1970 31' FBC Hull No. 315-901
"Teppi"
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I'm in!
A/K/A El Gaupo
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'm in!!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I'm in.

PaulJ
Mack

Post by Mack »

In.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

ditto
Ric

fundraiser

Post by Ric »

u.v
Glad to see you be feelin chipper..dont need a bailout yet . Leaving for Lima peru for 10 days in the andes and Machu Pichuu tomorrow. I M IN THE CONDO IN LAUDERDALE NOW NO CHECK BOOK OR OTHER DISTRACTIONS. dITTO ALL YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT THE FRIENDSHIPS FORGED ON THIS WEBPAGE.. YEARS OF EXPERIENCE FOR ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY TO HARVEST. hOW DO THEY SAY THAT ,CHECK WILL BE IN THE MAILWHEN I GET BACK TO THE FROZEN TUNDRA OF nEW HAMPSHIRE ON THE 22ND...gREAT JOB pATRICK KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
Dug

Post by Dug »

In.
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

I'm in!
Looking for my next boat!
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I have had my ass seriously kicked in this downturn. I appreciate this site so much that I will find a way to support it. I appreciate UV's bailout offer, but it is not my style. I'll find a way to send $100 to you Patrick, but it may take a little time. I never want to give you the impression that your advice, the camaradarie on the site, the information and the passion found here is not valued. It is. I value it many times more than the contribution that I will eventually offer up this year.

Thanks,

Rod
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

all in, I owe Capt P some doe.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Good turnout Faithful, but mostly the usual suspects. Let me speak to the folks that come around here and don't quite get around to making a contribution, even a token one. Those of us that contribute to support this site do so with the expectation that you will not visit here and profit from the free information without doing the right thing and contributing some amount, even a token. You don't have to do so publically, and many do so under the table.

But just be fair with yourself and those of us that contribute....pull out that wallet.....the capt. will take cash, fold it up, lick the stamp and make yourself part of something very special.

UV
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I'm in

"tesseract" - B28