2008 Site Fundraiser

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

2008 Site Fundraiser

Post by Tommy »

Hey Guys,

Uncle Vic normally rallies the troops around this time every year to announce the annual Fall fundraiser for Bertram31.com, but since Uncle Vic is somewhat 'underwater' (literally and figuratively) digging out from Hurricane Hanna, I wanted to plegarize some of his words from last year.

Capt. Patrick owns this site and has made it available out of his own pocket since 1999. Vic has referred to the visitors on this site as the "Brotherhood of the Faithful"....."the kind of friends who will get in a car, fly on an airplane, send help to hurricane victims, or as they say, send money, guns, and lawyers to help each other". Since we visit here and enjoy the site, we need to send some money to Capt. Patrick to help him maintain the site and continue the free (free to us but not to Patrick) access that he allows. One brief testimonial from me: I have bought two boats over the past 5 years off the internet 'sight-unseen', and both transactions worked out great. How? A couple of Bertram31.com friends that lived near the boats went by and made personal inspections for me and saved me from making a trip to Miami and a trip to Louisiana.

Let's keep this thread as a 'Fundraiser' thread, and let's show Capt. Patrick how much we appreciate his loyality to the Bertram Faithful all these years. As Vic says "the amount is up to the individual", so give as you see fit; but let Patrick know that we value his contribution to us. Make the check to Patrick McCrary and send to:

Capt. Patrick McCrary
834 Scott Drive
Llano, TX 78642
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'm right in there with you Tommy......

I've called Patrick a few times and he is always willing to share his vast knowledge with me.....and for that I thank you Pat.

As far as the rest of our "Bertram Fraternity"......its a pleasure knowing and sharing and receiving support from you guys......

Some day when I get rich and famous I am gonna attend some of the Bertram functions and meet more of ya'll in person

Until then I pose a toast to Good Health and Good Friends

Harry
hb
J Clark

Fund Raiser

Post by J Clark »

Tommy,
You are right, time to say thanks. This web site is an invaluable resource for me. I enjoy all the post, banter and fellowship that Captn. Patrick has created.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks Capt. Patrick for all your help. I'm in...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'm in too!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
opunui

Post by opunui »

Capt'n Pat thanks for the trailer info with Alex.He built me and another friend a beautiful trailer for our Bertrams. I'm in.
nic

Post by nic »

Mine went a while ago, PM me if you didn't get and I'll get the bank to do it again. Thanks for making this community possible Capt Pat, and for all you guys who enjoy it as much as me.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Harv

Post by Harv »

Writing a check at this very moment.
Thanks Capt. Patrick
Harv
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Thanks Guys! Your continued support is greatly appreciated and crucial.

Nic, thanks again! I PM'ed you right after I received your generous donation, but that was about the time I was having problems with the board, so the message may have gone into cyber-space...

Harry touched on one aspect of the website and my services that may not be readily apparent to the general membership: Phone & Email communications...

I get several, sometimes as many as 8 - 10 phone calls and emails a week asking for various information ranging from "How do I do this...", "what do you recommend...", "where do I find...", etc. Most of these contacts take anywhere from 10 minutes to a 1/2 an hour to resolve. A great many actually could be constrewed as consultation services.

In an average week, including monitoring the website, I spend about 15 - 18 hours in what could be called consulting. These are not hours I charge a fee for or that culminate in products sold. I do it because I get satisfaction from being of service to the folks who call.

Then there is the daily "House Cleaning" of scumbag spammers to contend with. The ability to keep these jerks from making your visits to the board less than desirable requires a very frequent and manual task of removing their registrations throughout every day. On the average, I have to remove over 15 spammers per day. Just this task alone takes up another hour or so per day.

To get an idea of what a membership list of un-deleted spammers is like, take a look at this board's member list. Granted, those spammers can't actively post because they haven't been activated by the Administrator, they still show up on the Membership List, complete with access to their garbage websites. Since some of these sites can actually be malicious, (beyond just offensive), possibly causing a visitor to be hacked or infected just by clicking through.

Long story short, my total cost of operating bertram31.com, (monthly server platforms, maintenance, consulting, computer equipment, etc), comes out at a non-billed expense of around $45,000 annually. True, I don't spend that much because most of it is my time expended, but actual real out of pocket expense is over $2,800 a year...

So to sum it up, your donations, even if small, are the only thing that keeps this bulletin board alive and with free access to all.

To the small percentage of members that actually do help out financially, you have my undying appreciation! To those who don't participate, please accept my apology for apparently not being of much value to you.

Br,

Patrick
neil

Post by neil »

our donations are well spent thanks again patrick neil and family
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt. Pat

I know you have helped me out a couple times and like everyone else, I really appreciate the advice. Hopefully you will be able to continue this site for many years to come and we can all continue to help you in any way possible.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Capt.
Haven't spoken to you much since our trip to TSL last year, but certainly appreciate what you have done for the site, let alone your expertise on keeping our boats looking and running great.

Check is in the mail today. I am also going to send you a print of a picture you took when we fished together last year. I had 2 copies made and meant to send you one. The other is hanging in my office.

Crae
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Dug

Post by Dug »

Pat,

While appreciated, for me, you don't have to explain or justify anything. I am in. Without question.

Much appreciated.

Dug
nic

Post by nic »

Capt. Patrick,

Yeah it got cybered... it's my pleasure to contribute something, I would hate for it to change from Bertram31.com to Error 404!!!!

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Just a few thoughts here
With 655 members here on the Bertram31.com site we should not have a problem of far far exceeding Patricks out of pocket expenses and actually creating a positive cash flow for the ole fart....

Generally it seems to me that it takes 90% of my time to produce 10% of my income and develop new cash streams

And likewise 10% of my customers generate 90% of my income

With these percentages in mind 65 of us should have no problem more than doubling Pats out of pocket expenses.....

I for one thourghly enjoy our sandbox and have made a few friends here that share more than just a common interest in boats.

Capt Pat.....I want for you to tell us just how we stack up when you feel that all of the contributions are in........did we meet your expectations....

You should not have to foot the bill for my/our priviledge to enjoy and benefit from your good nature........but I don't think that you should consider pulling the plug (not that you have indicated that its your intentions to do so) without at least letting us know in advance.

Where else in the world can you buy a boat, sell a boat, elect a president, solve energy problems, raise children, buy custom boat parts get good advise, get bad advise and be involved in real time drama everyday for such a small contribution????

Harry
hb
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Sent it out. Your the man!
capy

Post by capy »

I'll get out this week!!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Many thanks Guys!
Harry wrote:but I don't think that you should consider pulling the plug (not that you have indicated that its your intentions to do so) without at least letting us know in advance.
No thoughts what so ever about pulling any plugs, Harry. Keeping the site a totally free access to all & advertisement free is the real danger...

Br,

Patrick
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I'm in Capt. Patrick, as always is my pleasure to do so.

Many Thanks from pass help and future help.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Capt Patrick,

You've always been generous in sharing your knowledge on the ins and outs with the b31's or rigging ballyhoo on my boat in Port Eads. Thanks for building the custom parts for Reel Cowboy and helping us out at every juncture. We've been without power until today, but, we'll send out our appreciation in a couple of days.
Thanks again, John and Pam.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Al

Post by Al »

Dear all,

My wife and I bought our 31FBC earlier this year from a member of this board. To satisfy the requirements of our insurers, I asked Bruce to inspect the engines and Pete Fallon to inspect the hull. All aspects of the sales transaction went smoothly, and suffice to say we are very pleased to be the new stewards of the boat. We also are very pleased to contribute to this excellent site.

Al
Al
1970 31' FBC Hull No. 315-901
"Teppi"
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Capt. Patrick

Be needing me some good Karma on the Bayou.... Check's going out this week.

I've gleened some invaluable advise on this forum...... That I later passed along as my own knowledge ;-)

The appreciaton is always there. Even if not conveyed properly.

Thanks a million

Ray
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Captain Patrick,

I'm in and thanks for all you do. This board is great.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Capt Pat...

My check will be in the mail tomorrow. I personally never realized all the peripheral crap you have to deal with to keep our sandbox clean and tidy! But even without that, this place owes you a debt of gratitude.. as well as a responsibility to keep your out of pocket costs zero.

Thanks for all you do!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Many, many thanks, Guys!

I've received donations from the following members, and again I thank you
for your generousity and willingness to help defray expenses for our Sand Box.

Walter Kaprielian
Craig McCarville (Craig Mac)
Joe Ziegler
Capt Gail Culp
Capt Nic Doig
Joe Bubenzer (Bertram Joe)
Harry Babb
Paul Gozewski (Capy)
Dick Pambrum (Skipper Dick)
Harry Woods
Rawleigh Simmons
Crae Ramsey (Mack)
Capt Harv Friedman
Jeff Pagano
Tommy Drake
Capt Brewster Minton
Kipp Creed
Dug Stowe
Fred Warrington
Jim Bishop
Terry Frank
Capt Dick Dean
John Cranston
Russ Pagels
Cay Coatings (Buju)
Jim Clark
Michael Kennedy (Mikey)
JC Williams
Bob Spry (Opunui)
Bob Higgins (Bob H)
Ray Wicklund
Doug Quigley (DQ)
Frank Bryson (IRGuy)
Mike Moran
John Formica
John Vietor
Scot Sims
Dwayne Hauck
Daniel McKinney
Eddy Gallegos
Andre Fourrier
John Cottis
Trey Dibrell
Sean Burlingham
Ken Hudson
Kevin Megan

Best regards,
Patrick
Last edited by CaptPatrick on Dec 5th, '08, 18:52, edited 17 times in total.
Buju

Post by Buju »

I'm ashamed to say I've never sent a check...

I'm pleased to say that the first is on it's way.

Thanks for doing what ya do Capt...
Cross

Post by Cross »

Patrick - sorry to be late responding to Tommy's reminder but my "check is in the mail". Thanks for all you do! Cross
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Capt. Pat, Sandbox contribution is on the way, many thanks to you for taking the time to help so many of us along the way. This site has helped me get my 66 31 Bahia Mar well on its way to being completed. Couldn't have done it without this site and all the guys who show the new guys how its done the RIGHT way. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Patrick,
Back in the saddle and tending to bidness.
Check's in the mail.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
gplume

Post by gplume »

Been off line workin(to make up fro screwing off)...and then .....a little vacation to Cabo. Good fishing and decent surf. Lots of B -31's. Site is much appreciated.....Check is in the mail.

Best Regards
Giff
Giff
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Capt Patrick,

Sorry for the late response. I’ve been in the late stages of building a house and got side tracked by Ike a little along the way. (not bad but a little) But now I’ve finished the house, I’m glad to get a chance to support your website. My check is headed your way. Thanks for your work.

DanielM
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

I want to wish CaptPatrick and all the members a happy holiday and a great 2009 [positive thinking]. Capt your a great man surrounded by good friends. I am happy to make my donation. I see many donate in September. I have been donating in December. The checks in the mail. If when you recieve it matters just let me know. Thanks for everything Gary [Daydreams]
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
tunawish

Thanks to Capt. Pat

Post by tunawish »

Do we all try to do this automatically this time of year or does someone have to actually start this fundraiser each year?

More than happy to be that person this year...

Thanks Capt Pat

Checks on the way...

Ray
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ray,

Many thanks! I do always hope that someone will kick it off so that I don't sound too much like a beggar... Just make a new topic for the subject and I'll lock this thread and make your new post a "sticky".

Again,

Many thanks!

Br,

Patrick