Die, die, die

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Die, die, die

Post by Bruce »

I need a recomendation for a good weed control(not in grass). Most everything I've tried at the local home store is pitiful at best.

I've hired guys to dig up the soil, go thru the dirt and remove the seedlings and it still comes back.

The only thing that dies in Florida is people from NY who retire here.

I want to lay the stuff down, kill the weeds and have nothing come back for at least some months, instead of days.

Trying to save laying expensive concrete around my garage area.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

If the regular "gly-phos" (ie round-up etc) doesn't do it, you might try "Brush Master", although it's more for woody type weeds.

If your weeds have little green buds on them that look like sand-spurs, it's sedge, and round-up will only bruise it....you will need "SedgeHammer".

We have a great chem company here that's great with helping to 86 any weed you might have....send a pic if you'd like and I'll run it by them

Rick
randall

Post by randall »

or ...like me , you could decide lifes to short to worry about weeds and let em go. a once a month mow keeps em short....grass pain in the ass.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Stuff like round up from home dumpo is just a weaker version of commercial if you double the dose you now have something powerful!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Primatol and diesel fuel mixed 50/50 in a garden sprayer. The diesel kills it and the Primatol keeps it from growing back. Remedy (Triclopyr 4) and Sahara also work well (if not better as a sterilizer)
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Dig it up, lay down black pastic over the whole area, cover with sterilized topsoil. Fertilizer or topsoil that has been sterilized contains no live seeds. Anything you get after that is airborne and is easily pulled out or killed. The black plastic is available in garden stores and has a one way drainage perforations. What it really does is suffocate the weeds. Walter
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce,

Round up.

That'll do it.

Dug
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Bruce- like Randall, I've gone native. To boost my green quotient I now tell people am the proud owner of a lawn populated by indigenous plants.
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Try using rock salt if you don't want anything to grow. After a one icy winter I had a hell of a time getting grass or anything to grow near my front walk after the rain washed it onto the lawn. And it dosen't cost half as much as weed killer.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Calcium Chloride that is used to fill tractor tires and as deicer also works well.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mack

Post by Mack »

In late spring I use the roundup concentrate and mix it double strength. Nothing grows back. Just pops up in a new spot the next year if at all.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

salt or bleach
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Bruce I would have thought that you had some firearm that could handle that for sure.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

That would be his WWII flame thrower, but the napalm fuel is in short supply... Now if he could get his hands on some Agent Orange he'd be in great shape.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Funny the older I get the more I am concerned about things like water supplies.

Muriatiac acid is a good weed killer as is old Detroit engine oil. But I don't want to pour on the ground anymore.

The wife keeps telling me I'm growing up. Naw that can't be true.

Will try roundup double strength.

Off to the gun show.........
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bruce
You missed it early on. Use the same thing that kills the old New Yorkers . . .
Corned beef on rye.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
J Clark

die die die

Post by J Clark »

Bruce,
As I understand your post, the weed problem is in your established lawn?or Are you trying to clean up a weed problem before you plant?
Glyphosate is a systemic, it translocates to the root system, stresses the plant and kills it! for one growing season. Glyphosate is the active chemical in "Roundup" a trade name from Monsanto. The patent expired, and now can be purchased under many other trade names for 1/3 the cost.
Look for it at farm supply stores. One gallon about $35.00. Three quarts to fifty gallons of water and one quart on non-ionic suffactant, should kill most grasses and associated weeds, ie Florida Betnay, Rag Weed, Wild Artichoke, etc. But it will kill any established lawn.
If you are trying to clean up an area to establish a lawn, use a pre-emergent, like Treflan. Incorporate it into the soil after spraying, use product label for application rates, and then follow up with a contact chemical (burns the leaf structure, distroys the vascular system, kills the plant). A sure knock out contact chemical is Gromoxone. Take care with this chemical, it is strong, use label information for mixing and watch for drift. Both chemicals are not soil sterilizer, and will not have adverse effect on soil stability. Diesel fuel or burnt motor oil, sprayed on weeds will kill them, but not good for the dirt. Hope this helps.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I used diesel at Port Eads with good effect, but discovered a tree hugging method by accident. Lay some clear corregated fiberglass roofing on the weeds and let the sun beat down of it for a few hours.....gets so hot under it that it will sterilize the ground for months.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'm like Randall..........it's a never ending battle.......if I can get the lawn mower on top of it the mower sure better be able to chop and cut it

Round Up will work better if you add some Dawn dish washing detergent to the mix.....it works as a wetting agent and makes the Round Up stick better.

Harry
hb
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bruce,

Interesting thread....thanks for a non-boating discussion that just about everyone of us can appreciate. I say listen to Jim Clark from South Carolina. I spent a couple of days with him a while back and drove over about 10,000 acres of plantations that he manages. His background is in land and habitat management, and he has the terrible job of looking after thousands of acres of the most beautiful natural habitat that you could ever imagine. Then again, Uncle Vic's "steam away" technique sounds pretty innovative as well.

Tommy
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks.
Its the area around my garage where there is no lawn established.

I'll try the Glyphosate.