Raw water pump

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

J Clark

Raw water pump

Post by J Clark »

I have Yanmar 6LYA STP engins. One of the raw water pumps needed a new impeller, the old impeller was all to pieces. I got some of the impeller debris out of the impeller housing. Any suggestions or remedies for finding
the rest of the impeller debris? What harm is going to have on the raw water cooling system. Any input would be appreciated.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Follow the output line from the pump. On my cummins it leads to the oil cooler. I remove the hose on the other end of the cooler and backflush with a hose. Im sure the same principle/concept will work on your Yanmars.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

My Steyrs are the same way as Walters also. If I follow the hose off the raw water pump it goes to the oil cooler. Pull that hose off and you will likely see pieces of impeller that are to big to pass through the core of the oil cooler. Then like Walter said take off hose at the other end of the oil cooler and you might get some small stuff out with the garden hose. Make sure that you also inspect the hose, which may or may not have some bends in it, that is between the pump and oil cooler. It may have some stragglers in there too. Dish washing soap for installation of new impeller works well also.
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Make sure to get it all out, or you'll have a blockage and possibly overheat. Like Walter and Kevin said, take hose off on the output side of the pump and make sure nothing's in there. Follow the hose and make sure whatever it leads to is clean. And don't forget to check the input side of the pump. Depending on how the impeller came apart, sometimes those pieces drop down into the raw water intake side. You might have to disconnect the intake side from the pump, and use hose to flush any parts out of the raw water intake line.

like i said, make sure you get ALL of the pieces or you'll have trouble down the road.
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have the yanmar lp6 315s. You need to open up the oil cooler and make sure it is clean. You can back flush it but I think it is better to open it up to make sure there not in there.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

first place its going to go is your heat exchanger, i dont think it will go any further then that, i would pull the exchaner off and flush it out. at the same time you can check the tubes
opunui

raw water pump

Post by opunui »

CWJ is correct the first place it will go is the heat exchanger. you need to pull the heat exchanger off. ensure you have new exhaust gaskets and tube bundle cover gaskets part#24311-001200 and part#119593-44470 that is the gasket that seperates the tube bundle .(single pass).exhaust gasket part#is 119593-13200. once you take the heads off back flush the heat exchanger. hope this helps. been there done that same motors.
J Clark

Post by J Clark »

Tnanks Guys, as soon as the weather settles out, I'll start cleaning the rubber debris out of the heat exchanger. Hope I can get a haul out for the duration.