Oil leak

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt Dick Dean

Oil leak

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

My stbd engine has a slight oil leak at the oil filter. The engine is a circa 1974 Merc 454. The engine is dressed with a high proformance air induction system which has absoltuley nothing to do with the oil leak. I just wanted ya'll to know!

On this engine, the filter is horizonal and on top of the engine. The oil filter housing connects to a big black (what else?) marked "electrical system"; the box is on the rear of the engine. The part # I'm trying to replace is 12-48506 and it's round maybe 3/8 thick, looks like plastic of some sort. It's the same roundness as the filter. I have seen the parts explosion sheet but not the actual manual.

Anyone know how to get at it?
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Merc's now there's your problem....

Kidding aside, on my crusader's there's a remote oil filter on the back of the motor (probably same marinazation relocater). Anyway I had a leak on the plate which covers the stock oil filter location. I got it off but couldn't get the stupid thing back on (Port motor, so it was on the outboard side) I tried for several hours and even with tech support from my mechanic nothing doing. It to a big crows foot socket to do it right I was happy to pay the 2hrs of labor he charged.

I don't know of any black thing marked "Electrical system" I've got old school crusaders. Probably have to take that junk off to get to what you need.

btw, my front windows still bead water from the RainX you loaned me in AC !

br,
JohnD
Tony Meola

Oil Leak

Post by Tony Meola »

Dick

I have a 1975 FBC with 454 Mercs that were made in 74. My filters are located opposite the starter up high on the block but parrallel to the hull. The receptor for the spin on filter on mine is metal. Sounds like yours might have been relocated. Check the block on the starboard engine above and inboard of the transmission. You should see a spot for mounting the filters there. The only suggestion I can give you is to change over and put in a remote filter.

Unfortunately if you call Merc they will tell you no such engine. I tried to track down the hose running to the heat exchanger which is one size as it goes into the heat exchanger and a differant size at the water pump. When I contacted Merc they told me those engines were never made. Good Luck. Lucky they know there engines. Tony Meola
Capt Dick Dean

The leak

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I got the answer off the web. Performance Product Technologies. Phone 866 335 3396 perfprotech.com very nice people and they knew. They have all the GM engine parts diagrams on this site.