Required safety devices

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

davidms

Required safety devices

Post by davidms »

I was talking with a guy at the marina where I keep my boat about the safety equipment he keeps onboard. He is an avid fisherman, goes offshore as often as he can. He told me that even though I fish inshore, because I cruise to Block, Fisher's and the Mass. islands, I should have offshore grade life vests, life raft, etc.

So here's the question to the board. If you were starting out from scratch, what safety equipment would you carry aboard?

Thanks,

David S
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

You asked so here we go, Raft Cat1, cold water suits for everyone, GPERB Cat1 also, Offshore rated flares, throwable MOB device. Each suit should have: lightstick, strobe, wistle, and divers mask. I would get a SART also. At night in the rips off Fishers in the late fall and your going to sink that list should help. Oh get a waterproof vhf
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Inshore or warm water offshore, I'd use a Survial, Inc. aircraft raft, small, fairly cheap - a 9 man is about 1500. Good life jackets, a simple ditch bag, a waterproof hand held VHF, have DSC on your main VHF and/or SSB, with a registered number and coupled to a GPS and push the red button before you jump.

Simple first aid kit in the ditch bag along with a floating knife, some mylar space blankets, up to date flares and dye, 50' of 1/4 braided nylon line. A 406 EPIRB if you can afford the 600 clams, a personal strobe on every life jacket. A couple of the new LED flashlights in the ditch bag, I use the Princetons, they float and are real bright for 120 hours on two AA batteries. A bottle of Jack D. is in my ditch bag too.

My plan is to survive a 12 hour soak in warm water max.

UV
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I knew I was coming short on those safety devices......next weekend I'm putting in a bottle of Don Q rum in my dry bag.......how in the world I missed that....the Coast Guard should fine me for such a sin.....
randall

Post by randall »

food for thought. the coast guard looked for my son and two friends for 3 hours as they held on to a swamped red 16 foot canoe. this took place on his 20th birthday in gardiners bay and the block island sound.....not 60 miles offshore. luckily the local marine patrol found them 20 minutes before dark or it would have been a long night. in order of importance..radio, visual aids......obviously if the water is below 70 degrees your not gonna last long without a suit. a raft is sure nice also....but i dont have one

i take a six foot surfboard, a leash and a full winter suit when i go to block..or out in the sound or ocean..i can sit on that board forever........poormans life raft
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, me & Brew crossed paths without knowing it, but were pretty much the same. Daytime is one thing, sinking at night is another magnitude...the strobes can be seen a very long way and the LED flashlights almost as far.

The bottle of booze in the ditch bag is the same principle as the Swiss St. Bernards with the keg of brandy on their collar....a keg of iced tea ain't gonna work, just make you colder and pee a lot. Hard likker makes you warm and alert for a while, and when you are in the water that is important.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

i forgot to mention they were lookin for them with a helicopter. you are amazingly hard to find without a transmitter.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

UV, you are joking about the alcohol in the cold water..........right? I don't want anyone to think thats a good idea, cuz it aint. I guess if you were in warm weather and in a life raft it would help pass the time, but in water (not even cold water, just less than body temp.) alcohol will increase the loss of body heat. At least you will go happy.

ScottD
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

So lets ask this question, I know it was kicked around once before, who's raft would you bet your life on? While most of us figure we can be picked up in about 24 hours since we are probably no more than 100 or so miles offshore, when its rough it could be a long 24 hours if you don't have the right raft. Any thoughts gentlemen.
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, the conventional wisdom that drinking hard likker makes you cold is a myth....over the long haul maybe, but when your ass is in somewhat cold water, a shot of pure JD will make you swim a little longer.

Last Jan. when I was duck hunting with Capt. Brent and our son in law down by Port Eads, it was about as cold as it ever gets down here, like 31 and windy. We were hunting out of a high h.p. mud boat in the mud...got set up in some roseau cane, we had a big stainless thermos of coonass coffee and a bottle of Crown. Small cups of hot coffee with a splash of Crown kept us going and made me dead eye on the pintails. I shot a big sprig drake dead at 60 yards on a passing shot in a 30 kt. wind....Capt. Brent said "the Crown made him do it".....whatever, it worked.

UV
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Vicroy- The glass bottles that alcohol is packaged in can break in heavy seas. I have found that anything packaged in a bikini (be it red, blond, or brunette) seems to be a fairly effective warmer upper and with no worries about broken glass and spilled liquor. You might even find yourself lasting past that 12 hour limit. Just a suggestion.
Brewster Minton

Up here in cold water you need a Mustang Suit. Its a one man raft. Taking people out in your boat you are responsible for them. Many people think Im crazy because I have so much safty gear. I think their stupid and irresponsable and endanger their freinds and family because they have no idea how dangerous the sea can be and they think that they have it all covered. Going cheap on safty gear says alot about the boat owner.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Cuddo's to you Brewster. Safety is not a joke when offshore.
randall

Post by randall »

brewster......i for one am impressed with your attitude about safety and realize how much time you spend in harms way. having spent more time in cold water (with one or two exceptions) as everyone else here put together i have a real good idea of what heat loss is and how long it takes and what the effects are. even that survival suit wont keep you warm forever....you need to be found.

UV my experience with booze and cold (much experimentation while skiing) is short term warmth followed by long term cold. especially in the extremities. when you lost at sea you cant go in the lodge and sit by the fire.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Brewster,

Everyone should follow your lead for safety. But I have one question, and I am not trying to be funny but I am curious since I know how much room I have on mine. Just, where to you store all of the gear? These boats are not that big.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Booze makes you feel warm, but doesn't actually warm you. You need a heat source for that. I like the idea of making sure she is in a bikini. That works for me.

I have a Switlik. It is a valise pack. 4 man. It is not only old enough to pose for Playboy, but it is now old enough to drink. Made in 1986. Still passes inspection annually. I would never buy another brand raft. They tell me average life span is 9-12 years. I think this raft has that beat by a mile, or two.

I fully, and completely believe Brewster is right. He has the right attitude, and the right equipment.

As for where you store it? You run the boat differently when you fish, as compared to when you cruise. When you fish, it is all about utility. I actually find we never use the head, so we stuff all sorts of stuff in there. The raft goes between the firewall and the flybridge steps on the engine hatch or just inside the door, with the ditch bag on top of it. Life jackets also go to the port side, on the bunk (notice I didn't say table) with that stuff.

Takes a while to pack and unpack the boat, and if all you do is fish, then you have an advantage, but you have to bring the right stuff if you want to live should you have to face the worst. I am only missing the survival suits, and they will have to be coming soon.

I have 2 epirbs, the radio, a fu#kload of flares (all solas), space blankets, water, more flares, hand held gps, mirror, whistles, you get the picture. Don't skimp. It isn't worth it. ALSO, I MANDATE THAT ALL ON BOARD WEAR INFLATABLE LIFE JACKETS IN THE DARK. Something to think about.

Dug
Brewster Minton

The setup of my boat is a little different than what would be thought of as standard 31 Bahia Mar. I will post some picks of the gear and where I put it soon. Safety gear needs to be where you can get at it. Not hidden in the V berth. I go out in the dark, far offshore, for 3 days with people I care about. Having been caught in bad weather(wind) and waves if something had ever gone wrong really bad I want the people with me to be safe. Im really scared of the thought of being in the water at night with 3 friends drowning.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

8 man raft

2 mustang survival suits

epirb

gpirb

ditch bag with stuff not in the raft ( and some duplicates)

SSB

Sat Phone in water proof case

lots of Life jackets

Raft is mounted beneath the bridge seating for easy access from out side.

Pirbs are mounted out side as well

Haven't figured out how to convince Ms. Spiezio that those bikini clad sources of warmth should be considered a safety device.

I like the idea of inflatable life jackets on everyone. None of this stuff will help if you don't have it when you actually need it.On my kids I'm thinking of making them also have a personal pirb and strobe this summer in case they go over.

Last summer I was out with just my dad. He was on the bridge running towards the Hudson Canyon when I came out of the cabin and went to the transom to take a leak. Beautiful weather and nice flat day, but as I was walking aft we came down off of an wave that was larger than anything else that day. Not big, but enough for the boat to drop out from below me as I was walking. I came back in contact with the dack a full foot further back. I grabbed the gunwale and pondered on what would have happened if I went over just then. I did not have on a PFD and I hadn't let him know what I was doing, It would have been 5, 10, or 15 minutes (at best) before my dad realized I was gone.

After spending your life out on the water it becomes very easy to get complacent. It just sort of creeps up on you without you realizing.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have stuffed a lot of things into the boat on offshore trips, and yes the head gets a lot of equipment. Haven't been offshore in a while and always used to go off with another 31 as a partner. Always felt a little better with the second boat. Plus back in 1975 we were about the smallest thing out there and it wasn't like it is now. Sometimes we would go all day and maybe see only one other boat besides the two of us.

The the center consoles started making those runs. Remember picking up to come home after staying overnight and some guy in a 25 center conole shows up as the seas were building. I remember a long ride home and I bet it was longer for him since he probably tried to fish all day.

Would love to see Brewsters set up for safety.

Put a deposit down on a 6 man winslow at the AC show. Will probably complete the order once the repower is done and back in the water. They said I can have delivery in 30 days from when I call them.

When I was younger I never worried about this stuff but now that I am older its something that bothers me. Go figure.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

When I was younger I never worried about this stuff but now that I am older its something that bothers me. Go figure.
None of us are as smart as we once were, back when we knew it all...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

[None of us are as smart as we once were, back when we knew it all...]

Capt. Pat

Yes, and the older I get, the better I was. Or so I tell people.[/quote]
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Well, I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was...
CaptDana

I'm with Brew on this one

Post by CaptDana »

Guys- no place for mistakes- I have been a safety nut- but that was brought to a new level when I fished with Brewster. All of those safety items might appear as costly toys to the better half--but life is priceless.

I fish Lake Michigan- water temps can be 40 degrees-- Granted we are not 90-100 offshore- safety near shore is just as important.

My future wish list-

Liferaft

Down the road-
AED (defibrilator)
Night vision-- ( wayyyyyyyyyyy cool on Brewster's boat)

My 1/2 penny thoughts
capt dana
Dana Bonney
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have been" in the water" three times in my life. all three times in summer months . i was in the water with a Lifeline PFD. which is used for offshore racing and thats it. not to go off subject ,the boat came apart suddenly within seconds i was floating in the ocean and the water temp. was around 65 degrees .all i can say is it did not take long to start to go numb all over. you start to get stupid and move around to keep warm but in reality you are just using precious energy.the boat went under instantly but there were large ballser core sections floating in which to cling to. GOD did i wish i had a waterproof hand held vhf. trust me you don`t want to ever be floating around in water unless it is in your bath tub. moral of story; the life raft was in the v-berth (if you want to call it that) and went down with the boat . your safety equipment must be 5 seconds away!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks for bringing this one up this is the thread I tried to link to.

As far as rafts go I cannot afford both survival suits and a raft in one shot. What's the better first purchase?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Dug

Post by Dug »

Peter and all, I believe the raft to be priority #1. My take.

Again, I would choose Switlik first. I had to retire the 20 plus year old one a couple years ago. I bought a used one on the condition it passed inspection. Valise pack, MD-2 I think. 6 man. Huge, solid, and passed like new.

Dug
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I agree with Dug on the raft. I know Brew will disagree but I want out of the water. I went with Winslow because it always had the best reviews, and it is lighter than the others. It is not Coast Guard Certified so it can not be used for Charter, but it is approved for Aviation. What the difference is I have no idea.

I hear Bob about not putting the raft up in the V Berth, but I went with the Valise and not the cannister. Put it close when you go out. I have heard of Valise's not releasing or getting caught up in the rigging. So I believe it is a personal choice.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory of Vicroy

I use the aviation raft from Survival Technologies in Fla...its mylar and won't rot...I had a Winslow years ago that was rubber and checked it one day and had a valise full of dust. The aviation mylar one is rated for 9 to 13 people (not a clue why the spread?) and is in a valise that is about the size of a thick float cushion. I keep it under the dinette when offshore tethered to the EPIRB and the ditch bag. Its probably way out of date on service, need to add to my list of things to piss more money away on....

UV
Brewster Minton

Tony, It is a must to have the raft. But without the suit on in the raft, cold and wet you will die from the cold. If you are in great shape you will die sooner then your fat buddies.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

And up here you really need the double floor raft. Got to get away from the water. No worries in the Gulf of bathtub water, but 60 degree water will suck the life out of you in a hurry.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315