Oil change schedule

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Classic Trade

Oil change schedule

Post by Classic Trade »

I was talking to a guy in England the other day and naturally the topic of petrol/gas came up and the shortage we are experiencing. He was telling me that car manufacurers recomended oil change intervals in Europe is between 7,500 and 12,000 miles. In the USA they are between 3,000 and 5,000 miles average. I wonder if we do need to change the oil in our vehicles as often as recommended. If every car in American doubled the distance traveled between oil changes that would be a lot of oil that would not be needed. I am sure the car companies would have to agree to this schedule or a lot of warrantees would be voided but it is just a thought.

Classic Trade
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Most European manufacturer's require synthetic oils which supposedly can go 15,000 miles between changes. I change the oil in my girlfriend's BMW with synthetic every 7,500 instead of the 15,000 recommended and it sure looks dirty. I have always used Havoline dino oil in my vehicles, change it every 2,500 to 3,000 miles and it comes out pretty clean. Oil is cheap insurance of getting many many miles out of an engine, car or boat.

Eddy G.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

The local inde shop that workes on the wife's ride has a BWM straight 6 in the lobby, turned upside down with the pan off. Caked with black junk. Nice little sign about the impact of the 15,000 mile factory oil change suggestion.

Not saying it representative of all engines, but its a heck of an advertisement.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Read an article 2 or 3 days ago.. but can't recall where.. which was on the subject of oil change intervals in newer cars in the US. Said that although they do run hotter than in the past with the new controls etc, plus the pressure to use less petro products the traditional 3,000 mile interval can be extended. It said some auto manufacturers are starting to say 7,500 miles is OK now, especially with the new synthetic oils.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Anyone changing the oil at 3,000 miles is the victim of good advertising. Or scare tactics. It's over kill but no doubt it can only help.

New cars such as Mercedes, BMW, Corvette and such come with Mobil 1 from the factory.

At AC last summer, the two senior diesel techs said that I just extended the life of my boat engines by one third using Mobil 1. My 560 SL and SL 500 both get Mobil 1. My wife's Lexus gets Mobil 1.

Does Mobil 1 go with corn flakes?
A/K/A El Gaupo
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I put Mobil 1 in my new rocket sled 335i with the chip and it is real happy! Only 480 hp.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

My 328i only gets mobil one synthetic... I know they say it lasts over 10k miles but I dont really like it going past 3-4k without changing it...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
randall

Post by randall »

i change the oil every 2500 miles in the honda and the new toyota ....twice a year in the austin healey....once a year in the bertram. never in the old toyota truck
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Just a reminder while the actual oil lubricity is important, what's much more important is the additives. And additives break down more quickly than the oil. Without the additives, oil is useless in internal combustion engines and will destroy them.

As someone who has pulled just about every kind of engine down and back again, changing your oil every 3,000 miles is not falling victim to advertising pressure.

Synthetics have additives also but the main benefit is the reduced friction the parts see against each other which can reduce wear and save fuel.

The thing is most people don't keep their cars long enough to see a long term benefit to using synthetics.

Of all Europe, Germany is about the only one who produces a worth while auto and can be relied upon for advice.

The rest pretty much suck and much like their women, have hairy armpits.
J Clark

Post by J Clark »

I like Bruce's post. I do not have a problem with the oil I use, and I use a lot of oil. We keep 100 gallons of Shell lubricants in my shop. Our
9000 to 5000 series John Deere tractors take a lot of abuse, with an avearge of 300 to 500 hours per planting and harvesting season.
John Deere sends products all over the world, and where ever they go, the recommended oil is Shell Rotella.
Our personal vehicles are ten years old, F-350 and a Crown Victoria, all on Shell Rotella. The Toyota (Lexus), BMW, Mercedes are nice, but they will all last just as long on a standard refined petroleum product. Change it and maintain it.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

We still have a 1985 Chevrolet 3/4 ton shop truck. In her newer days I changed the oil every 5000 miles. As she got older the oil got changed once a year.......in a good year.

The truck has 249,000 miles on her..........original 350 engine and turbo 400 trans. The drive train is tired and uses a quart of oil every thousand miles or so.

Now fenders, doors, seat and body are a different story. I would be more inclined to do maintaince that would make the rest of the vehicle last longer.......but why try.......Looks like my neglected engine will arrive at the grave yard about the same time as the rest of the heap.

I favor Castrol in my cars and trucks and intend to use Shell Rotella in DeNadas' new power plants.

Harry
hb
gplume

Post by gplume »

One thing I have heard, and it was advice i followed. Best to break in on "dino" oil and seat the rings well. Then switch to synthetic. I followed that advice changing at 1000, and then at 2500 and every 2500 until 10k then switched to synthetic. My VW GTI gets Amsoil synthetic at 5k intervals...and it is ready at that point in terms of its apperance.

My understanding is that the multi weight oils depend on polymers for the temperature dependent viscosity charateristic and these break down with heat and heat cycles.

I can vouch for synthetics racing dirt bikes, particularly the 4 stroke variety that run hot..hot..hot under racing circumstances in rough conditions. Only way to go if you really want to torture you engine. Well worth the moeny

Giff
Giff
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I oil the chain on my bike Schwinn whenever it looks rusty. I don't know the mileage.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Giff,
Yes you heard correct. Break an engine in on dino oil. The rings will seat much quicker.

Another side note on adding anything to oil. Oil company engineers spend lots of time formulating their oil additive package and have done real good jobs at it.

On well running engines its not necessary to add anything else. If you do it can chemicaly change the current additive package for the negative.

If your belching blue smoke, it don't really matter.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

What do you guys think about those teflon oil treatments: the original Slick 50, and its clones.

For years I used to "treat" all my already broken-in engines with that stuff, but was never sure if it was doing any good or not. I've thought about putting it in the Cat 3208's but so far have not, and am also a little spooked about that idea. I try to be boy scout when it comes to those two expensive machines
"Who," Galileo asked, "would dare assert that we know all there is to be known?"
Harv

Post by Harv »

What do you guys think about those teflon oil treatments: the original Slick 50, and its clones.
Presently on the "Land Yacht", I change the oil every 3-4000 miles. When I do, I substitute 1 qt of oil with 1 qt of Lucas oil stabilizer. The rest is 5w/30 dino oil. The "Land Yacht" has 185,000 miles on it and it still runs and looks like new.
Check out who's riding shotgun!!!
Harv
randall

Post by randall »

cant make it out....who?
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Isn't that Brooke Shields?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Sean,
If you use synthetics, don't need the teflon.

But be careful. Some of those teflon treatments have been shown to have solids in them which have lead to clogged oil passage ways and the result is oil starvation to certain parts of the engine.

NASA Lewis Research Center did some tests years back and confirmed this.

The basic makeup of these treatments is 50 weight engine oil and PTFE. Same as Teflon but Dupont has the trademark on that name.

Here's a quote by Dupont on using Teflon in engines: Dupont, who invented Teflon, claims that "Teflon is not useful as an ingredient in oil additives or oils used for internal combustion engines.

Tests on pressure drops across oil filters have confirmed the build up of Teflon particles in the filter.

I wouldn't use them with the synthetics available today.

I use Royal Purple.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

I use the Shell Rotilla in my Cats, which is what the last owner said that he used. I often hear the warning: "never change your engine's diet" when talking to the dock potatoes about switching to synthetics. Any truth to that?

I guess I was right to be wary about putting the teflon in the boat engines.. thanks
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Here is the link to the oil change intervals article I mentioned above....

http://autos.aol.com/article/auto-repai ... 0009990001
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!