28 B tank removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrwolfe

28 B tank removal

Post by jrwolfe »

Time has come for the fuel tank removal and install of a new tank in my 28' Moppie. Can someone please give me a description of what they experienced in the removal process. What steps did they go thru, how much time, what difficulties? thanks.
matt

tank removal

Post by matt »

took mine out last year. two guys about 45minutes. inspect very carefully around perimeter for tabbing and make sure it is completely separated from tank after cutting with a ruler or thin piece of metal as it is hard to see into the crevices. the bottom was bedded poorly with patches of adhesive and popped eventually with some persuasion. i made sure the area was well ventilated with fans and use a Fein oscillating saw to cut the tabbing. what do you plan to do after removal?
good luck, matt
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

after cutting the tabbing holding the tank to the stringers you have to seperate it from the bedding. it is possible to remove the tank in one piece by using some 2x6 boards to brace against floor of hull and tank then using a bottle jack apply upward pressure on tank side. some people have had more trouble than others.

i have gone through the process of removing and re-lining my tank. i've had to take a leave of absence from the website due to life but i know a few people are asking for info and pictures of my tank re-line process. so i promise i'll be getting that stuff up on the site soon. and for those of you interested in the past year i've acquired my coast guard captain's license, become a husband and hopefully today as i'm writing this im sittin in the hospital, become a father.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Scooter28,

Congratulations on all of your recent acheivements. You have indeed been busy and to have removed a 28 tank and relined it during all that is a great accomplishment.

I still have the tank situation looming over my head. Fortunately, I can still find gas with out the poison they've added at Sams club, but sooner or later I'll have to address the problem since my engines are a long way from being worn out and converting is out of the question.

I'd be very curious to see your picture account also. What size was your tank and how hard/easy was it to reline?

Thanks and congrats again.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow Scooter!! You have been busy!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

thanks a lot guys

yea i would start thinkin about doin that tank, i would not let it go. i cannot recommend relining a tank once its had ethanol. even without seeing ethanol my tank still had soft spots i can really see why these tanks have problems now. the best idea i had was getting the tank sandblasted to remove the gelcoat and top layer of glass. the tank is the 165 gallon one from a 1973 hull. as soon as i can ill get the pics up.

im on a budget and if money wasn't an issue i'd have bought the brand new glass tanks from high tide marine. since it was though and you don't mind a little work relining is very do able and doesnt hurt the pocketbook as much lol
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

thanks a lot guys

yea i would start thinkin about doin that tank, i would not let it go. i cannot recommend relining a tank once its had ethanol. even without seeing ethanol my tank still had soft spots i can really see why these tanks have problems now. the best idea i had was getting the tank sandblasted to remove the gelcoat and top layer of glass. the tank is the 165 gallon one from a 1973 hull. as soon as i can ill get the pics up.

im on a budget and if money wasn't an issue i'd have bought the brand new glass tanks from high tide marine. since it was though and you don't mind a little work relining is very do able and doesnt hurt the pocketbook as much lol
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

if your near Long Island NY I cut mine out [partially] and installed a new tank [soon to be 3 tanks]. The deck is still up so its fully visible.
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.