1966 31 Bertram Bahiamar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Scott

1966 31 Bertram Bahiamar

Post by Scott »

Hello all. I've visited the site in the past but never gotten around to registering. Kudos on the site! We have a 1966 31 Bahiamar that has been in the family for about 20 years -- unfortunately in dry-dock for about the last 10. Engines are wasted and boat is in original configuration. Now that I'm concidering my options (in line to inherit the boat soon) I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Unfortunately is is not a fly-bridge, but it is one bad ass open fishing boat that I think (with the proper TLC) could hold its own with the best 28-30ft class boats of today -- with the exception of being really wet. Bottom line question to the expert opinions as I peel back the layers of the onion are:

1. How old is too old? i.e. does fiberglass degrade over time, is the boat as structurally sound today as it was in 1966 -- and how about 20 yrs from now?

2. As I compare what a 27-30ft modern open fishing boat might cost (used but not old), what type of $ should I count on needing to put in (besides about 25K gas or 50-60K for a diesel repower) i.e. not complete strip down "re-build" but considerable restoration (awlgrip, fiberglass deck, new windshield, cabin re-do, ect)? Is restoration a losing proposition even compared to today's high cost of similar sized boats?

3. If I decide to cut bait and sell, what type of demand is out there for a bahiamar and how much can I expect to draw w/ no power? I live in MD -- boat currently in NJ.

Realize these questions are open ended -- any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Scott: I have a 66 31 Sportfish. The fiberglass is superior to most of the modern boats built today. I dont think that the glass is a concern. You should make sure that the stringers are sound though. Take a hammer and sound the stringers. A dull thump can indicate rot. i dont have a figure for the rest of it though. It is a great boat and I think that fixing it up will be cheaper than the prices of new boats of the same caliber.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

No question in my mind that you won't find a better and safer boat in the 31 ft range. In terms of value, it will be worth a lot more and will always be in demand with diesel power. The new lighter and incredibly efficient engines available today would be my choice-Cummins or Yanmar. As far as how far to take the restoration goes...a lot of that has to do with you and your own personality. In any case, if you want the best boat ever built, you have one. On one of the earlier posts there are photos of a beauty I took at Port Eads. I'll try to post the title for you to look at. Walter
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Look up "Rocket ship Fun Ticket" on page 2 of the forum listings. Pictures are in that thread.
Harv

Post by Harv »

As the owner of a 71 Bahia Mar, all I can say is that it is the ultimate 1 man fishing machine. Not too big, not too small, all the action is on 1 level. Visibility is excellent and I have no trouble spotting fish. I can troll or drift by myself, and no matter where I tie her up, people say it's a real nice looking boat.

By the way, she is basically all original with the exception of a repower in 88 and a radar arch in 02. I am the 3rd steward. If you are worried about the wet ride, just add an enclosure to the helm or put smart rails on the hull.....or both.
Harv
Capt Dick Dean

Bahia Mar

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I have one also ... A "72 with a hard top and side curtins. The boat has a full tuna tower and a teak deck. I love the boat and as a senior citizen, I can run the boat by myself and do it all the tome.

The boats are bullet proof. Every marina , resturant we tie up at, some one ALWAYS comes over and gives the best compliments. No other boat steward can say that.

As far as a wet boat is concerned, it's a bad rap. Bertram skippers run their boats harder than most because the can. When other boats are at the dock, we can go. And we do !

As far as the models go, the Bahia Mar is a great boat to have. When the boats were built, everyone took a fly bridge. Over the years, people gravitated to the open express cruiser up to and including 10 meters. The design is the choice now and has been for more than 15 years.

Take advantage of your situation. Grab the moment!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have a 66 Bahia Mar. It took me several years to get it the way that I wanted.It is by far the best boat ever built.Do not sell it! Take your time and make her right and you will have somthing you will enjoy for a long time.Money is a factor. If you do a lot of the work yourself you can cut a lot of the cost. You have something that is very special. Fix it and it will pay you back with much pride and happiness. Good luck. If you want to call me 631 457 2587 anytime. Brewster
Bob H.

66 Bahia Mar

Post by Bob H. »

I have a 66 Bahia Mar undergoing a total refit...have yet to find any structural rot...Bulkheads and deck beams yes( they only painted most bulkheads)... stringers no..Not bad for 40 years old...Done right and with help from this site you will have a boat that could go another 40...Hey Brew got any pictures of your ride? Id love to see that battle wagon...Thanks and keep the boat....My humble opinion..BH
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

I'm doing a total rebuild of my '61 Sportfisherman (flybridge, open bulkhead). I have seen some really nice Bahia Mars with custom enclosures and I think they are some of the best looking boats around. I don't think you could find a better boat that you can handle and fish yourself or with six guys than the Bahia Mar. About the expense, you will never be able to overestimate it, but this of course depends on what exactly you need/want done. And what you want and need may not reveal itself until your rip it apart. It would probably be a big savings if you found one you liked that was already "restored" and sold the one you have. I have been on a couple done by L&h in Florida and they are really something else. Plus if you just buy it you won't have to wait a year or worry about going way over budget. (Which you will and I mean way over! Ask anyone who has restored a boat.) Go to one of the good yards and get an estimate, and look around and see what you can buy for that. If, however, you will enjoy getting involved in the project and want it made just the way you want it, go for it. For me, it has been a great learning experience and very rewarding and it has given me a lot to do with my free time. I started in January and I'm looking at being done this spring. Most people I know think I'm nuts with what I'm doing but they don't know what it's like to be in love...