B28 stanchion bases

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Leigh

B28 stanchion bases

Post by Leigh »

Good Morning: I am making gel coat repairs to the toe rail on my 28. I will need to rebed one of the starboard stanchion bases (the base next to the front corner of the windshield, stbd side). I assume they are thru-bolted. I don't see a way to access the underside of the base that doesn't involve cutting holes in the cabin panels to access them. Am I missing something? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Leigh
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I think mine was just held on with screws. The cletes were back plated with nuts and bolts. Depending on how yours is built on the inside you may have to take a few things apart. To properly repair my rubrail I gutted the boat to gain access to the whole thing.
Leigh

B28 stanchion bases

Post by Leigh »

Kevin: Thanks. I figured you might have some experience with this. Hopefully I can get done what I need to do cosmetically without doing too much surgery. Leigh
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Leigh:

That rail base should be accessible if you have a Flybridge only no lower station B28...........I can access mine via the starboard locker..........if you have the lower station helm access might be more restricted...........original bases were installed with bronze through bolts,no backers as far as I know...........there should also be a bonding wire attached to that rail base fyi........

Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Preston: Makes sense as the screws/bolts are just spinning. I have a lower station, so I may need to get creative. I may be able to get at them through a little cubbyhole next to the helm station set into the side panel. This base seems to have loosened up when the toe rail took a big hit against a piling. the rest of them are nice and snug. Thanks, Leigh