What paint for bottom???

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mhiggins

What paint for bottom???

Post by Mhiggins »

I just got the 31 and would like to paint the bottom. It will be in the water all summer and want something that will wipe easy and get algea and zebra muscles off. I live off Lake St. Claire. Which paint, West Marine,Interlux,Pettit,Etc.... Thanks a bunch!!
RussP

Post by RussP »

We've had great luck with Interlux Micron 66 alblative paint down here in Florida. We use the boat almost every weekend, if the boat will sit idle for long periods of time Trindad SR hard paint is the ticket.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Leigh

Bottom paint for Lake St Clair

Post by Leigh »

Mark: I went through the same process a couple years ago with my 28. For our fresh water, I think the best all-around bottom coating is Interlux VC-17. This is a very thin, copper-based coating used a lot by racing sailors. The primary advantage to me is that once you do a good bottom prep and put it on, you never have to sand again, as there is no buildup and you simply wipe the bottom down with clear water and roll another coat on in the spring. The stuff has pretty good antifouling and what little slime you get wipes right off. My first winter with the boat I had the bottom stripped (I hired this out) and then put on Interprotect 2000 barrier coat and two coats of VC-17. Two quarts of VC covers the 28 with one coat. The only limitation to the VC is color selection. it comes in Bronze and a slate blue. From the waterline up, I painted with a basic hard Interlux bottom paint for the blue color I wanted. There was a little extra work up front, but once it was done, there is little to do each year to have a clean, very smooth bottom. Either Doug or Bob at Mike's Marine at 10 & Jefferson in St Clair Shores are a good source for info and they carry the paint. If you wanted to look at my boat out of the water this winter to see what I'm talking about, I store at North Bay Marine on Jefferson in Chesterfield. Good Luck, Leigh
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Petit Ultima SR Pro - hands down the best. I just went two years on the Chesapeake Bay on regular Ultma Sr with no fouling on the bottom. The Pro has 60+% cuprious oxide!! It is under the commercial section of their website. I got it from Paxton. Use two coats. The hardware had some fouling, but the bottom had none. Use the clorinated rubber primer followed by the two part metal primer on the running gear and the paint will live for about one year on the metal!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31