Project Boat Advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Warhawk

Project Boat Advice

Post by Warhawk »

I am looking at a 1977 B28 for a potential project boat. The truth is that I would prefer a B31, but there are not any of them for sale here in Michigan or the midwest, and they are significantly more costly than the used B28s. In any event, this 28 has a fiberglass fuel tank, and with all I have read here lately, I am a bit spooked, although to my knowledge the marinas around here (Michigan) are not yet selling Ethanol widely. Second issue - the boat has the original Mercruiser 228s - I have been convinced that Crusaders are the superior engine when I decide to repower (and that will likely be soon, based on the condition of the Mercs) BUT the local Crusader dealer told me they do NOT believe Crusader 454s would fit in the B28 engine room. There appears to be less than an inch of clearance now from the top of the spark arrestor on the Mercs to the engine room hatch, so this makes some sense. Finally, I have been told by the broker that the boat "has moderate moisture content" in the stringers and in the deck, but "that is normal for boats of this age." That is a red flag to me, and dollar signs are popping up in my eyes. I have not yet paid for a survey - won't waste the money if these issues are not clarified for me. Thanks for any advice!
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Warhawk,
If the surveyer says moderate moisture in the stringers and deck(expected there) I would steer you away from it. Without looking at the boat I can only give you an honest opinion based on the information you gave. Unless you get the boat for almost nothing like $1,000 only then would I consider because those two items will cost you a good chunk of change let alone the cost of iron for the repower. Good luck and keep looking. It took me two years to find my 31. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Why not find what you really want even if you have to buy a plane ticket, and ship the boat back. That's cheap compared to buying the wrong boat.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
matt

Post by matt »

hello i face the same dilemma except i am neck deep in it. bought a 1978 b28 on a year old survey and am in traverse city. got the boat strippppped to the bare hull. gel coat on bottom is stripped. not much left. take a good look at the engine beds mine were soaked. have two chevy 350 for sale as i am repowering with diesel. come take a look if you would like to see what to expect. is the boat in my area?
matt(matt@torchlake.com)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If you're looking for a 28 the yard here in town (VA) has three for sale. The least is $12,000. The other two with what the owner says are rumming engine are $24,000 and $28,000. How do those prices compare to what you're oggling? Haven't been on any of these for several years so can't attest to the condition except to say "Project".
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
CaptDana

Fellow 28 Owner in Mich

Post by CaptDana »

I like Matt am also a fellow 28 b owner here in Michigan-- I would be glad to answer any questions you may have. I am on my 3 set of power in the 28b and over 13,000 hrs. Feel free to send me a msg and I can give you some insight to your potential project.

Capt Dana
Dana Bonney
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I know of two 28's for sale here in VA. One has 351 Windsor Fords and is rough, but complete. It can be had for $7,500. The other is in better shape and has new Mercruiser EFI engines in it with raised engine hatches. It is an unfinished project boat that can be had for $10,500 to 14,000.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Warhawk: I live in the Detroit area and went through the process of buying a B28 last year. Looked at and passed on a couple of 70's vintage boats due to engine bed and bulkhead problems before buying a lightly used '85 that I found in Sandusky. If you are committed to doing a project boat, going through the survey process with the right surveyor that knows B28's will be useful, even if you end up passing on a particular boat. For myself, I have been very happy with my "newer" 28 and have had no shortage of things to work on. A full project boat (which I thought I wanted) probably would have buried me. If you need a referral to a good surveyor in the area or have any other questions, let me know. Good Luck. Leigh