Great White

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

TailhookTom

Great White

Post by TailhookTom »

Have any of you guys seen the Great White lurking off of Shinnecock? I've seen reports on Noreast pushing the shark to 30' with an estimated weight of 3,000lbs plus. I know that has to be an exaggeration. Last year we saw a White of about 18' maybe 20 miles south of Montauk -- must be same fish.

Tom
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

There was a thread on the Bass Barn that mentioned a big shark in the 25ft range near the Oil Wreck so either he got a friend or has been doing some traveling
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

last year coming back from hudson, i saw one come completly out of the water
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

3 whites were see on monday 17 miles se of Shinnecock inlet by a guy on my dock. He took some pics and I will try to get them this weekend.Said they were all 15 to 18' long.
Harv

Post by Harv »

cwj wrote:last year coming back from hudson, i saw one come completly out of the water
Me too....I was there.
Harv
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Come to think about it, last Friday nite 'round 1100 hours, a huge shark was in my bed room. The Creature had taken me. He goes by the name Jose Cuervo.
JPRS51

Post by JPRS51 »

Been watching shark week. Largest Great Whites have only been in the 20-21 foot range, weighing near 2 tons.

30 would put it in the size range of Jaws from the movie, which should weigh around 7k pounds or more.
Jeff S

JohnV8r

West Coast Great Whites

Post by JohnV8r »

A couple of years ago I was on my way in from a day of albacore fishing and told my two law school classmates that we'd swing by the Farallon Islands to try to pick up some lingcod. As a joke, I told one of my friends to hang one of the albacore off the transom to see if we could "chum up" a GW. I thought there was NO WAY IN HELL it would work.

Needless to say, about 45 minutes later my friend lets out a big "Holy Sh*t!" and I look down from the flybridge to see a 15 footer swimming about 10' under the boat. The thing that struck my wasn't the length as much as it was the girth of the shark. I could not believe how wide it was. 15' above the water on the flybridge, my knees started shaking as I told my friend to get the albacore back in the boat. We took off for the barn shortly thereafter.

About a month ago I read the book "Devil's Teeth", which is all about the GW's at the Farallon Islands. I had NO idea there were so many GW's there that the scientists who study them have named the different packs of sharks. YIKES!
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built