mahi fingers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

mahi fingers

Post by randall »

ok...im the worlds worst cook....although i can make any kind of toast.............i have a fridge full of mahi,caught yesterday, and would love to make (with caren's help) some "mahi fingers" like we had every afternoon in panama......before you say...is this guy kidding...trust me...i dont have a clue.....recipes please
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

OK Senor Rhan-Doll, here is how you do it. First cut any red stripe out of the fillets, they taste a little strong. Then slice the fillets longways (fore & aft) into about 3/4" strips, then cut them sideways to end up with strips about 4" long and 3/4" wide. Wash them good under cold water, lay them on a plate on top of some paper towels.

Take a bowl and make your breading. I use a little general purpose flour, then some more (2x) Italian bread crumbs, then add some garlic powder, some Tony's cajun seaoning, then the coup de la grace: poke your middle finger in the dry stuff about an inch deep, fill the hole up with salt, then mix it all up. Break a couple of eggs in another bowl, stir them up, then put the fillets, one at a time in the egg, then roll in the dry mix, then lay the breaded fillets out on paper towels.

Now get you a dutch oven (an electric skillet will do, but cast iron is better) and put about two inches of veggie oil in, heat it up to 375 (use your laser heat gun) then put about 5 or 6 fillets in, let them sizzle for about 2 or 3 minutes (no more) , maybe turn them once if they float early, and take them out. Let the oil come back to 375 and do some more.

To keep the first batch hot, put them in a brown paper bag with some paper towel in the bottom and fold the top of the bag over.

Works every time, also good for shrimp or oysters.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Cut into strips, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Break an egg, beat in a bowl.
In a separate bowl dump in seasoned bread crumbs ( I prefer Italian) that is available at our IGA.
Heat some vegetable oil in a pan. Don't let it smoke. Dip the fingers into the egg and roll in the crumbs. Drop gently into the oil. As the down side browns, turn over. When golden, lift with a spatula and lay on a paper towel covered plate. Let cool a bit and taste to decide whether you'd like them darker or lighter.
Another way- Make a batter of flour, water, a healthy dose of garlic powder and a handful of sesame seeds. Mix to the consistancy of pancake batter. Dip the fingers in the batter and deep fry to a golden brown. Again. lay on paper towels as per the other recipe.
In Memory of Vicroy

Damn, Walter, our recipes crossed in cyberspace and they are sure similar. Rhan-Doll, see, you got one of them things they call a 'consensus'. Can't miss. Coonass and famous yankee chef agree how to do Mahi Fingers.

I hear Hillary & El Presidente' Billy are gonna appoint Walter the Chef General of their new country, Panama. I'll visit often.

UV
JPRS51

Post by JPRS51 »

A Hawaiian Captain of a fishing boat once gave me a recipe with a cracker/coconut breading for Mahi. Was the best I have had. Use very finely grated coconut (not like what is used on Coconut Shrimp). Fry them til golden brown and they are nice and sweet.
Jeff S

randall

Post by randall »

thanks...im actually gonna try this.......as challanging for me as riding a 10 foot wave would be for you.....at least if i screw up i have a lot of stock to work with.....boy will caren be surprised
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Just don't poison her Randall!!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I've used pancake batter and 7 up as a batter for Snook. Works good with all fish.
JPRS51

Post by JPRS51 »

1 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded (I prefer finely grated)
1 cup crushed Saltine crackers
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt plus more for the fish
8 Mahi mahi fillets, about 1/2-inch thick
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Combine cracker and coconut. Put the coconut/cracker mixture, flour, milk and eggs in separate, shallow dishes. Beat the eggs well with 1 teaspoon salt, which breaks up the whites and makes for a more even coating. Set a wire rack over a cookie sheet. Sprinkle the fillets with salt and pepper. Dip them one at a time in the milk, the flour, the egg mixture and then the coconut, coating them well on both sides. Set the fillets on the rack, and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes to help the coating adhere. (Fish can be coated, covered and refrigerated for up to 3 or 4 hours before cooking.)

Heat the oil and butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the fillets, turning once, until the coconut is golden brown and the fish is opaque throughout, about 8 minutes.
Jeff S

randall

Post by randall »

well...i lucked out...caren invited her friend lauren....cook book illustrater and all around foodie.....i cut-- she cooked.....we did a UV..walter combo ...sort of....was really good....printed them out for next time.....thanks again
In Memory of Vicroy

Rhan-doll - glad they came out good. I was perusing the TSL site and the recent fishing reports, and see that your surfing buddy Achelles the waiter is making it big time. Some guests from TX took him out fishing with them on their last day and he caught his first sail and a tuna. Great guy - I figure by the time we get there next June he'll be running the place, at least until Hillary & El Presidente take over the country. Just hope he don't get so big for his britches he forgets how to make the UVI red drink.....

UV
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Everybody knows and it's no secret that UV knows his way around the kitchen. That being said, here's another thing. If we lived in San Francisco, I would ask him to marry me !