Dark Exhaust Water

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

J Clark

Dark Exhaust Water

Post by J Clark »

I have Yanmar 6LYA STP engines, with 335 hours. The boat is a 31 FBC, absolutely clean bottom. The fuel is dirty and I have been changing the primary filters every 30 hours (Racor 10 micron). The boat had a full tank of fuel when I bought it in Sept. 06, and I have reduced the fuel load to about 60 gallons, and anticipate having the tank cleaned and fuel polished.
The port engine is pumping gray raw water, and a whisp of white smoke.
The starboard engine is pumping clear water, and not a sign of smoke. I changed the primary and secondary fuel filters today, have not run the boat. I guess I'll call the mechanic in the morning. Does any have a guess as to what the problem might be. I'm turning 22x24 wheels with prop pockets. Thanks guys for any input. Jim Clark
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

A stuck exhaust valve?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

start with the easy..........filters (all of them)........maybe the turbos.......had a friend with a similar problem and he changed the turbos and the problem was gone.....
Last edited by Hueso on Jul 22nd, '07, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Check coolers as well.
Capn' Tony

grey water

Post by Capn' Tony »

I say Exhaust valve. I had my heads and injectors redone a few years ago and that engine from that time on ran grey water out the end. Stuck Exhaust valve was the problem Smoked a bit black that cylnder ran hot finally blew something lost oil pressure and now re-powering with a reman.
Don't know what blew yet maybe rings and valve. Won't know until I get her out.
Check the temp of that cylnder if you can.
Thanks
Capn' Tony