GORTEX PACKING

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

GORTEX PACKING

Post by Bill G. »

Sorry guys if this old stuff,re-packed with gortex and I've read it will run warmer than conventional have access to infared is there a temp that is considered good?someone said to me 125 deg. seems pretty high.As always thank you for your input,the help is always great.
Regards..............Bill G.
Leigh

Goretex packing

Post by Leigh »

Bill: My experience has been that it runs cool. On my 28 with the bronze stuffing boxes, I used 4 rings, left it loose for the first run, then snugged it up until it just stopped dripping when shut down. I have grabbed the stuffing box after running, they are barely warm and they don't leak a drop halfway through the second season. Haven't had to touch it. It seems to be great stuff. Leigh
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

I wouldn't worry about temp. Just put it in 4 wraps. Snug it until it doesn't leak in neutral at the dock. Re tighten after a run and check often for safety. Mine has been in now for 5 years with no problems! I did have a hose clamp break after my last run. That was my first time ever I had one break. I usually replace them every few years. That's more often than that Gortex packing! Dave K
Keep Fishing...