TURBOS for Yanmar 240

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Re: TURBOS for Yanmar 240

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

I am not sure how well a can of spray paint will hold up. You would need to rough up the gel coat in that area so it has something to grab to otherwise it will peel.

If you are going to do that, I would have painted the area before installing the panels. I would also use an automotive spray paint, that would hold up better. Better yet try and see if you can get a quart can of Alex Seal or Awlgrip and put the smoothing additive to it. Alex Seal calls it a rolling additive. That will eliminate the brush marks.

https://www.alexseal.com/products/auxil ... ditive-501
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Tony. I'll look into it.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Talking about the breeze...
This is right off the coast of Myconos. In the summer!
It's an old clip, but things are the same year in year out...

https://youtu.be/ecV_M3EUHhY?si=RB1qThPj5YGlmoZB
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: May 1st, '24, 01:25 Talking about the breeze...

That is not a breeze. I'd think a few times before leaving port if I knew it was going to blow like that in a few hours.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Haha, I wish it was that easy, Carl.

The thing with the summer “meltemi” is that NORMALLY it starts at 8-9am and it stops at dusk.

The other also normal thing is that it may start one day and it may stop after weeks or even months!
During more than one summer, within the last few years, we didn't have one calm day for more than two months. Not even one single day...almost like the wind you see in the video above.
You may call it Bertram weather, we call it hell...at least there are no mosquitoes!

On the other hand, when its calm it becomes hot hot...and in a boat without a/c anything above 35 is rough. When it reaches 40-42 I lock up and go to my dad’s...I still have my dad to deal with, but at least I remain alive...
Carl

Post by Carl »

What is considered a normal windy day? My quick search said up to 100km/h, but up to and average are different numbers...at least I hope so.

Do your weather reports give you an expected wind, time and longevity? Or kinda wing it and hope?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

We measure the wind speed in km or nm, but for ordinary people the measure is the Beaufort scale.
Television forecasts is only in Beauforts.
Only sailors (mainly) and motorboaters (secondarily) discuss windspeed in km or nm.

Up to 3 Beauforts we consider calm.
From 4 onwards we are becoming cautious in that we may choose to go to another, more protected destination.
Five is roughish, usually it is the top windspeed we leave port to another island or the mainland.
Six and seven is only if you find it on your way, we don't leave port with this kind of weather
Eight is ferry advisory weather.
Nine and ten are un navigable.

So, when its windy in the summer it is usually from 4 to 6-7, so pretty uncomfortable to leave port for just a pic nic or a swim. We rather take the dinghy and stroll in the bay, in protected coves. Or we stay put and jump from the boat in the marina.

Of great importance also is the direction of the wind. In the summer the prevailing winds are from NW to NE. This is a wind direction that creates predictable waves and its dry. Lately, however, we experience southerly winds in the summer, which is a totally different ballgame. Just because these S winds are coming all the way from northern Africa, they are warm and humid, hence uncomfortable right away AND just because they have a long unprotected sea space to form huge waves, these waves are unpredictable...therefore one should expect for the same Beaufort category much bigger waves as opposed to the northern waves. You do not want to cruise in south winds almost at all.

Lastly, every time you read a forecast you have to consider the sea condition as it evolves from prior windy days, in other words you may not leave port with even 0 Beauforts, if in the last few days you had 6 or 7 from the south. The sea needs two days to calm down before you head out.

We have the same forecast platforms as you do, like Windy, Poseidon and a few others, with practice we know which one to look depending on the occasion, for example one is more precise on wave height, the other is more accurate on windspeed etc, we generally draw a median between them.

At your disposal for any further clarifications LOL !
Carl

Re: TURBOS for Yanmar 2

Post by Carl »

Yannis- thank you for the clarification.

Yes, we have same scale here, although most in my area go informal just tossing out wind speed in mph.

5 and above I avoid going out in. Boat can handle, I’m kinda done with it. Too much clean up and fixing what comes loose. Fishing in it other than on anchor creates too much of a mess for me.

As you said a lot has to do with being in protective spaces. I’m in a bay so I can run to protective Lee spots to fish, relax or go enjoy time on water. Some winds off the ocean, or catch a large fetch…ugh.

We like to swim at a beach out of the bay… beautiful
… but late afternoon “breeze’s” make getting home challenging. Oh the arguments of I don’t want to leave as it’s beautiful to why did we leave when seas r so rough.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That is definitely Bertram Weather.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Re: TURBOS for Yanmar 2

Post by Carl »

Carl wrote: May 1st, '24, 18:14 Yannis- thank you for the clarification.

Yes, we have same scale here, although most in my area go informal just tossing out wind speed in mph.

5 and above I avoid going out in. Boat can handle, I’m kinda done with it. Too much clean up and fixing what comes loose. Fishing in it other than on anchor creates too much of a mess for me.

As you said a lot has to do with being in protective spaces. I’m in a bay so I can run to protective Lee spots to fish, relax or go enjoy time on water. Some winds off the ocean, or a large fetch…ugh.

We like to swim at a beach out of the bay… beautiful
… but late afternoon “breeze’s” make getting home challenging. Oh the arguments of I don’t want to leave as it’s beautiful to why did we leave when seas r so rough.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Thanks for the lesson on Beaufort scale! I had never heard of this. Found a chart at NOAA:
https://www.weather.gov/pqr/beaufort

My NOAA forecast for tomorrow:
Fri: SW winds 5 kt, becoming S in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft. Patchy nearshore and beach fog early with visibility 1 to 3 nm. Wave detail: SE 2 ft at 6 seconds and E 1 ft at 11 seconds.

Looks like Beaufort 2! I'm going out!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

Cam- I remember hearing about the Beaufort Scale when learning how to read a flag in a Coast Guard Auxiliary boating class many moons ago. The class concentrated on the correlation of Flag status and wind speed to wave height.

I think Beaufort stuck as I love the 1973 movie Walking tall with Joe Don Baker playing Sheriff Buford Pusser.

The later movie with The Rock isn't to bad either...just not the original.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl, good chart!

There is yet another one that shows the effects of the wind, not just with a flag, but with real items and how they move, like leaves, trees, roofs, etc, but I cannot find it in English...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I'm trying DESPERATELY to locate a good electrician to help me with the mounting back of all the instruments onto the new instrument panel.
(Reminder: Together with the SS arch that was holding the solar panels - which was almost torn down during my last trip last September - I experienced the snapping of the steering wheel's supporting element and its consequential drop onto my feet, together with all instruments...)

You can imagine myself alone in 7 Beauforts trying to steer a semi detached wheel while holding the superstructure not to fall on my head for a few hours...it was then when I said that if I ever made it alive to Athens I would sell the boat!

It appears that the profession of electrician is in great scarcity nowadays for some reason, I wonder if it's the same over at your side.
(my expert electrician that had done a great job in rewiring the boat back in 2013 is so busy he can't even talk sufficiently on the phone...)

Apart from this, everything else is fine! LOL
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sounds like a great trip, glad I missed it! I think many of have had those days we say to ourselves...if I get back I;m buying a For Sale Sign and selling cheap, cheap and quick! Maybe just me...

Finding someone who will show up is a task...once they show up getting them to work is another issue. Having the work come out right...not many of those guys around. The ones that are get good money, as they should, but are usually backed up to the hill with work.
Even the ones that are not so good, but show up are backed up. Crazy. I wired my dashboard waiting for a buddy of mine to come help. After waiting too long I plugged it in, shut my eyes and turned on the ignition. Most everything works and NO Smoke...always a good sign!

I have adds running for general, just need hands type help...very few responses. The ones I do get all want to work off the books at skilled labor wages. Yeah...not in the budget.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Does “off the books” mean not properly declared so no taxes no insurance and the like?

Over here it is a way for business owners to keep labor costs down, by asking young people to work for black money, so no extra costs for the business, but not the other way around.

This method was particularly present during the harsh 10 year crisis we’ve just been through, with unemployment at over 20%. It was also a way to do business back when the iron curtain fell and we were flooded by cheap eastern labor. Nowadays, although this phenomenon has calmed down (albeit not totally quenched) it is still present in what we call “seasonal work”, referring to the tourism business which is particularly short handed during the high season of between Easter to October, where younger people want to make money and businesses want to keep costs as low as possible, only now there is a new law that stipulates that if and when you're caught you're in big trouble, the fines are now too high to take the risk...although some still do.

The above is applicable for employees in a formal business outfit.

And then, you have the other category, that we call “free professionals” like plumbers, doctors, electricians etc, that very easily evade the tax claw by not issuing a formal invoice for their services, to the benefit of themselves but also of their clients as they may charge less...and just because this illegal deal is to the benefit of both parties it is very difficult for the state to catch and tax.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

You basically have it. Straight cash pay, no tax's, no insurance, no nothing but pay. Works fine for a bit, but in a job like Carl runs I would be hesitant to do it. If they get hurt on the job, there is no Worker's Compensation coverage and that can come back to haunt you if it is someone has a serious injury.

I get it to a degree, like when I was a kid and you made money shoveling snow, cutting lawns. But there comes a time that just doesn't work.

As far as getting help. electricians, plumbers, carpenters and the like are difficult to get.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I agree Tony.

However, let's assume I want to repaint my flat.
I call my "Jack for all trades" and ask for an estimate.
He will charge X without an invoice, or X plus 24% tax with an invoice.
What do I do?
I tell you what I do...I take the no invoice deal and only wish the guy doesn't fall off from the scaffolding...I even make sure I stand by and hold the ladder for him just in case...

In any case the state has other means of securing tax revenue.
They look into your tax declaration whereby you show very little revenue, but they also observe that you possess a luxury car, you own a boat, you live in a big house, your credit cards are topped etc etc, THEREFORE you should be declaring that much. Therefore, you should pay so much in taxes.
In other words, your way of living betrays your tax evasion methods!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis- Tony pretty much hit it on the head with Workers Compensation, the insurance to cover a worker should they get injured here. Aside from the industrial machinery we have, a simple fall to the floor walking around working here could incur huge medical fee's. That and the biggest obstacle, we do not do service work these days. Jobs are all large companies that get invoiced and hopefully 30-45 days later we receive a check or lately they wire the finds. Need cash to pay off the books.

My point was years ago working off the books was hush hush, potential employees would finesse the question in an interview. Today an emailed response to my Help Wanted Ad has the question before they say hello. The few that do call ask quickly so as not to waste their time talking...I need to be off the books to keep my benefits. I do not ask, my assumption if the benefits are disability, unemployment insurance, Government Aid, Food stamps and the like....my wife is a cashier at a supermarket telling me everyone has government aid when checking out...with many then piling into a new BMW, Mercedes Lexus... Off topic

Guess I'm staying there a bit longer. You mentioned hiring a Free Professional, a painter in particular. House out front of my building hires a "Painter" to renovate the 2 family home that had 4 apartments. The "Painter" from what I heard was also doing Electrical...which was the cause of that house burning down, highly damaging the homes next to it and doing a great deal of damage to my place. Hiring a Free Professional they may not be including tax...you may be holding the ladder so they do not get hurt on your property...but they also may not be working under their insurance, may not be bonded so IF they cause damage...they may not be able to cover the cost of repairs. The Painter I refer to had no insurance for the "work" he was doing. Couldn't pay, the home owner did not have the insurance to cover the damage and now had issues as to why a painter was doing electrical and renovations. Lucky me, I had full coverage, my insurance company paid to make me whole without question. Then kind of indicated they could not collect from the offending part and that was the reason for my rates going up...which they did.

Oh hell...if I'm off topic this much what a little more...

Hiring off the books... We are flooded with Illegal aliens, sorry wrong term "Migrants". I cannot get people with hands to show up. I have had "Migrants" come looking for work. So I figured I would try to hire one as I heard they were getting "working papers". What some had was a paper stating they were waiting for an interview to get the required papers. Talking with one individual he wanted to work, had some background I started making calls to see how I could legally hire him.
What I found is what is on the NY State department of labor website. Till they figure out a way to document and provide working papers ( no time estimate, weeks, months maybe longer) Migrants may take jobs OFF The BooKs provided they promise to pay the taxs at years end with no penalties. As a hiring entity I am subject to fines and penalties for hiring undocumented workers.

Anyway, that is the way I read it, That is pretty much the gist of what we got from the Mayors office team.

Back to Turbos and Boat related...

Oh, I splashed Monday. No window project accomplished this OFF Season...but she ran great!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Why wouldn't she Carl, a window is not a structural issue, you may get a bit wet, that's all!

As for the insurance, I agree with everything, only here, when we talk about insurance it is not a liability insurance. It is the amount of money you pay every single working day that guarantees you a pension when you become eligible, today it's around 65 years.

Additionally, this insurance will pay for your bills should you fall on the floor or from the ladder.
But, even if you don't have insurance while you work, or even if you're unemployed or even legal or illegal migrant, you have free hospitalization for any mishap. Free in a national hospital. Now, if you want to go to the super duper clinic, well, this is not covered. But your medication is.
That's why a liter of gas costs 2€...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: May 9th, '24, 07:13 Why wouldn't she Carl, a window is not a structural issue, you may get a bit wet, that's all!

Yannis, you make me laugh, why wouldn't she run great? Cause its a boat.

I hauled out directly after fishing one season, next year on launching the damper plate let go trying to leave the boat well.

The window is there...just the side panels are crazed up bad. Been that way 30 years...looks like its gonna be 31.

Government-- If we all work and put money into the system so we have a safety net I'm good with that. Problem I have is when the safety net is abused with people able to work but decide not to, scamming benefits and the like. I'll leave it there, this is a boating site.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

Im laughing too...I know I know, and whats even worse is that it happens when you've already invited friends for the inaugural trip and everybody is in the boat and the boat either doesn't start or it sort of explodes on you...and the taxi that brought your friends is gone...boats...
Carl

Post by Carl »

If you invite friends on the first trip out...kudos to you!!

95% of the time I make the 1st trip/ride solo...I want to check out systems, keep an ear on everything to see (hear) if something sounds off. I stop, check temps on hoses, manifold, check gauges, check for leaks etc. The worst thing is having someone yapping like it's a boat ride as I can get very abrupt when trying to work...and that is just what it is at that point. The other 5% is having a good friend and or a good friend who is also a mechanic and one I can tell the shut Up I'm trying to listen without having to apologize...they get it. Or at least understand enough and let it pass.

Yes...a boat load of people and an issue makes for great fun. Trying to figure things out, get in hatches and compartments as they yak with one person getting out of the way only to have another move into the spot. Luckily I'm very nice and hospitable when stressed, I just love to discuss the issue and plan...lol. Ok, maybe not. I guess that is the reason for me tackling as much as possible before having guests.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

You can do a dry run alone and listen to everything since you sit above the engines. Up on the bridge I can't always hear or see everything going on. So I take the wife and make her run it while I hunt around.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, the first trip I do with the engine covers open.
You can hear and see them from the bridge!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: May 9th, '24, 23:20 Tony, the first trip I do with the engine covers open.
You can hear and see them from the bridge!
Tony Meola wrote: May 9th, '24, 21:17
Yes

Carl

You can do a dry run alone and listen to everything since you sit above the engines. Up on the bridge I can't always hear or see everything going on. So I take the wife and make her run it while I hunt around.
and yes.

Double edge sword sitting or standing on engine box's...great to hear anything off and the bad part is you hear everything.

Yes, A quick 1st run by myself is a good warm up on way out, push her to plane, wait for temps to settle, oil pressure drop a bit. Then Stop, look around under covers n hatchs...all good, I head back, then peg the throttles for a few seconds, back off as I'm entering harbor. 10 minute idle back to the slip. If all good the next trip with wife or bud they do as you said Tony...take the wheel as I get under hatches with her running at speed.

On my short tower hearing is quite different like being on the bridge, even with hatchs open. All good, just different.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Yannis wrote: May 9th, '24, 07:13 Why wouldn't she Carl, a window is not a structural issue, you may get a bit wet, that's all!
A windshield is only a windshield until its not there anymore

Sent from my iPad
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Hmmm, the link didn't post first time. It shows on preview so let's try it again.

https://www.soundingsonline.com/news/wa ... s-boaters-
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

And that is why Fiber glassing in the windshield is a good idea. Of course, in Carl's case That would mean he would have to get his head over the windshield.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes, glassing in my helm windshield would be a very BAD idea. lol