original steering wheel

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jayjays1

original steering wheel

Post by jayjays1 »

Hey there all. The fly bridge is off and the inside of boat has been power washed. Will have a look at the progress this weekend.

Would any of you gentlemen have replaced your original aluminium Bertram steering wheel and still have it around? I am interested in finding one for my resto.

Let me know.

Will post pics this weekend.
JJ
Tony Meola

Re: original steering wheel

Post by Tony Meola »

JJ

The steering wheel on my 1975 was no great shakes new. It was basically an aluminum wheel that had a white vinyl coating that eventually pealed. The aluminum was nothing special once the coating came off. Wasn't even worth recoating.

Not sure what other boats had for Wheels.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
franzmerenda

Post by franzmerenda »

jayjays1 wrote: Mar 7th, '24, 18:39 Hey there all. The fly bridge is off and the inside of boat has been power washed. Will have a look at the progress this weekend.

Would any of you gentlemen have replaced your original aluminium Bertram steering wheel and still have it around? I am interested in finding one for my resto.

Let me know.

Will post pics this weekend.
JJ
JJ

Wishing you to find the original one (did U call Danny Piedra?), the most look alike is this one:

http://shop.schmittongaromarine.com/sta ... shaft.html

Good luck for your research :wink:

francesco
jrmoro

Post by jrmoro »

JJ, I just replaced my steering wheel. I believe it is original & looks like the one in Francesco's link. Send me an email jrm@atlantismtg.com & I will send you some pictures.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I had an original aluminum wheel in bad shape----Raybo painted it with Imron (aluminum color) over 20 years ago and it still looks great.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

I have an original wheel I will post a pic Image
Jason
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

Hey Guys thanks but the one I i looking isn't quite like this. I have only seen pics and and they seem to be made from aluminium. See pic which I think is what I am looking for?
JJ

https://i.imgur.com/vku9IKX_d.webp?maxw ... ape=square
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

Not a great pic unfortunately!
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I have a good pic--I can send it to anyone who can post it
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

Hey Craig send it to me on drjjsoares@gmail.com I am now expert at posting either but will give it a go.
JJ
franzmerenda

Post by franzmerenda »

jayjays1 wrote: Mar 9th, '24, 09:08 Hey Guys thanks but the one I i looking isn't quite like this. I have only seen pics and and they seem to be made from aluminium. See pic which I think is what I am looking for?
JJ

https://i.imgur.com/vku9IKX_d.webp?maxw ... ape=square
JJ,

The wheel you're looking for is this one

As far as I know it has been installed until early 70s production and was previously used on Chris-Crafts.
You can try with Chris-Crafts vintage parts resellers.

It is one of the reasons I'm trying to save the lower helm station, since I like that old fashion style

jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

You got it Franz! That is the girl. Surely there are some out there as almost everyone has replaced it. Let me know if anyone has one??
JJ
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

Also Fran, when I do find one, what kind of shaft will fit it? Is it the standard 3/4" taper by any chance?
I will check chris craft as well.

Thanks!
JJ
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

this is Craig's wheel. That is the one! looking good!

JJ

This is https://imgur.com/a/XHbOdxG
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have a steering wheel it had Bertram emblem in center so i through to be OEM --1973 but it appears to be stainless steel
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

franzmerenda wrote: Mar 10th, '24, 06:07 JJ,

The wheel you're looking for is this one

As far as I know it has been installed until early 70s production and was previously used on Chris-Crafts.
You can try with Chris-Crafts vintage parts resellers.

It is one of the reasons I'm trying to save the lower helm station, since I like that old fashion style

That is the same style of my old one, except mine which was original was not that nice. It was some type of cheap aluminum that was coated in white vinyl or plastic. It peeled right off and pitting aluminum was left behind.

If I found one like that, I would give up my Schmidt wheel.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I would try to refinish the pitted aluminum wheel----either painting or powder coating.
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

I love the one in the lower pic!!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That is how my 1966 came from the factory. The lower helm is different from the flybridge helm.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
franzmerenda

Post by franzmerenda »

jayjays1 wrote: Mar 11th, '24, 16:32 I love the one in the lower pic!!
That's why I'm struggling to save the lower helm station, even against all those wise suggestions about it's uselessness.
I'm still dreaming of idling to fishing spots at dawn, during frigid seasons, sipping hot coffee with some pal

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I agree that it may not be great for running the boat at speed, but I still find it useful while fishing or when it is raining or otherwise miserable it is better than nothing! If you have trim tabs the boat can be run from downstairs at certain speeds depending on the sea state, visibility, etc. It is certainly not ideal, but it is not completely useless. That being said, if I did not already have it I doubt that I would add it. If fishing short handed it is nice to be able to run in and use the throttle and gears. I am too old to be jumping up and down off the bridge constantly.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rawleigh,

You can install gear and throttle levers around the rear deck area instead. You don't need a steering wheel for mooring.
You can add an anchor up and down control also, to make it perfect.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Yannis wrote: Mar 12th, '24, 23:07 Rawleigh,

You can install gear and throttle levers around the rear deck area instead. You don't need a steering wheel for mooring.
You can add an anchor up and down control also, to make it perfect.
Be careful where you place controls in the rear deck area. When I was working on the environmental study for the Shoreham nuclear power plant back i the 70's we had a 40' Chesapeake Deadrise with an extra set of controls on the side of the engine box. Once while we were pulling net in off of the stern one of the guys bumped the shift lever into reverse and the net got sucked into the prop.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Francesco,

I agree with Rawleigh that the lower station can be a great asset and add to your boating enjoyment. My old Island Girl had the lower station and I appreciated getting out of the burning sun or rain showers that popped up. Also, it allowed me to be with guests when cruising for entertainment. I wish you continued success with your project!
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

refinishing the original aluminum wheel is a bit of labor of love if its pitted.
First it needs to be blasted clean, high build epoxy primed.
Then likely a little bit of bodywork. Primed again, then painted and cleared.

its fairly simple work, just time consuming.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I wonder if the worst pits could be drilled and TIG welded back up? Carl what do you think? I know cast aluminum can be a bear a to weld, but I have had cracked final drive housings on tractors welded, and they had been filled with oil. A good welder can do it fairly easily, maybe.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I would just use simple filler, if it makes you feel better use epoxy filler or jb weld on the really deep ones. It’s a wheel not
Under any load or holding up any weight.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rawleigh-
The quick answer is maybe.

If the aluminum alloy is weldable, if it can be cleaned from all contaminants and corrosion yes it could be welded up.

Castings- Some weld perfectly, others as you said can be a bear. The cast material Itelf can be problematice, has inclusions, are pourous and sucked in impurities. Aluminum that is not perfectly clean does not weld well and the game of cat n mouse trying to chase the dirt away to have it pop up elsewhere begins. I have done a fair share of bad castings that just needed to hold together, grind and overlay cool aluminum, build that up over the bad spots...it may not be pretty but yes it held together without leaking. I've done some cosmetic items that could not be replaced that I thought looked like hell but customer was thrilled.
Steering wheel...I have that old one as well. Its not pitted but very bhah...tried to give a polish. I got it clean, smooth but it stayed dull. I'm not sure I'd bother trying to weld it unless I was going to have it chromed.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I seldom use the lower station, but when I need to get out of the sun, it's a life saver on long calm trips. I searched for steering wheels after reading this thread. You can find quite a few old marine steering wheels that look similar. The upper helm one in the photo above is gorgeous. I have the same lower station wheel.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Funny, I also did a search for old wheels. I do not mind restoring a wheel for the aesthetic.

Though not original - "Uncorked" does have an older boat vibe to everything that I have done to it. A vintage wheel would tie this in nicely

1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
captbone

Post by captbone »

I really like the Edson Almag aluminum wheels.

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my steering wheel and is in perfect condition (show quality) is free just make a donation to this site when Bruce gives me the okay i will ship
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

Thank you Bob. I would absolutely love to have it. Only issue is that I would need it posted to NJ as I am unable to pick it up. Very happy to donate to the site as well as to pay you for your costs and your trouble!

JJ
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

also could you possibly send or post a pic to confirm that we have the same type of wheel in mind? Email is drjjsoares@gmail.com
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

This revolving thingy on the rim is very practical.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i am going to tom river NJ by way of 440 crossing to Jersey Type meet me at a rest stop the wheel is yours i trust you as a brother to take care of Bruce i wand nothing
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

Hey Bob I live in Bermuda dude! I just need to get it to my freight forwarder which is in New Jersey. They will ship it to me here. Any chance you could package and post to the NJ address?
JJ
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob-
If easier, I ship out most every weekday. If you want to drop wheel off at my shop I can ship it his forwarder. My place is about a mile from VZ Bridge on Staten Island.
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

Hey Thanks Carl! Just let me know either way guys! One of the few drawbacks of living in paradise!!
JJ
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl the next time i go to NJ i will drop off the wheel. i had no idea it had to go to Bermuda
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote: Mar 20th, '24, 19:45 carl the next time i go to NJ i will drop off the wheel. i had no idea it had to go to Bermuda
Here from 6:30 - 3, Friday we close early at 1:30...but I am more often than not here considerably later every day. If that does not fly with your schedule, I live a few minutes from Outerbridge.

The sun never sets on the Bertram31.com Empire. Funny how we get into conversations thinking the person is a car drive away, but at times it's a long long flight away. Yannis in Greece, Francesco in Italy, Micky in Puerto Rico, JJ in Bermuda, Tony in New Jersey...
jayjays1

Post by jayjays1 »

Quite right gentlemen. The B31 is everywhere. Plenty in Bermuda too! Thanks for helping to make this work guys!
Much appreciated.
Gratefully,
JJ
franzmerenda

Post by franzmerenda »

Carl wrote: Mar 21st, '24, 07:20
The sun never sets on the Bertram31.com Empire. Funny how we get into conversations thinking the person is a car drive away, but at times it's a long long flight away. Yannis in Greece, Francesco in Italy, Micky in Puerto Rico, JJ in Bermuda, Tony in New Jersey...
Bretram31.com is addictive, non toxic but aholic
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You should have seen this place back in the day. It was a jumping site. A lot of good people have passed through this place. We have been lucky in that we stick to one conversation Boats and how to keep them running.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Tony, don't bring up the Flopper stoppers! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rawleigh wrote: Mar 25th, '24, 13:08 Tony, don't bring up the Flopper stoppers! LOL!

You know, if you put them rocker stoppers down at 6 & 12' in tandem from spring cleat they will reduce roll by 50% of 20 in an east, westerly wind, provided of course you fed the goosebeaks early enough.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rawleigh wrote: Mar 25th, '24, 13:08 Tony, don't bring up the Flopper stoppers! LOL!

LOl

That was a record Thread. If I remember it was close to 30 pages.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315