Need a recommendation for mufflers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SEAHORSE

Need a recommendation for mufflers

Post by SEAHORSE »

I have Yanmar 315 HP diesels in my Bahia Mar. Looks like there's plenty of room outboard of the stringers both sides. Cockpit has lift out fish boxes under hatches and with them removed it looks like a pretty easy install. Boat currently is running strait exhaust and its pretty loud IMO. Would like to find an owner with same engines as I have for accurate info.
Ironworker

Re: Need a recommendation for mufflers

Post by Ironworker »

My mufflers are run outboard of the stringers. Its a tight fit. I found some online that were oval shaped that would fit. However, I ended up splitting my original mufflers, doing some repairs and reglassing them with High Temp epoxy. They work great and are quite.

I used the inboard area to add some AUX fuel tanks.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If I remember correctly Centek Vernatone have a slim muffler that fits in that space outboard of the shaft alley. What size do you need? 6"?

Maybe something like this.

https://centekmarine.com/wp-content/upl ... -Sheet.pdf
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

very few times in life especially in the marine world do you " get your cake and eat it" this is the one time use Centek MINI MAX style it fits perfectly right aft of the fuel tank bulkhead (deepest portion of the hull ) between the stringer and the hull side . you get a muffler to reduce noise level but MOST important you get surge protection no need to put that ridiculous surge tube in the engine compartment
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

With motors running and a baffled muffler I can see a reason surge tubes can be considered overkill.

Shut the motors down with boat rock'n and rollin, pitchin n ditchin there will be a good amount of seawater in those hoses between the muffler n motor. A 31 using Stock Elbows can have that seawater sloshing around in close proximity to the turbo, and to the motor. For me, close is too close not to add an extra layer of protection.

What layer of protection? I'd think that could either be a Surge Tube or a High Rise Elbow. Wanna beat the horse after it's dead, do both the enemy of good is better. Is it overkill, maybe but those diesel burners are kinda pricey and I like getting home on two motors. Plus I am the kind of person who will kick myself till eternity saying I knew better. If I didn't know or have an inkling and motor ingested seawater, I'd shrug it off to "Oh Well, life sucks at times".

And surge tubes can be designed to fit before the bulkhead, keeping the motor compartment clean and uncluttered. But then nobody sees the Tubes and a talking point is lost. It's all compromise.

I cannot wait till Spring when we have something boating-related to chew on.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

perhaps a few drinks and a dare led me to put my 31 Bertram wot in reverse to prove a point to a bunch of "know it alls" you cannot slug the engines with these mini max mufflers ,however my exhaust go up and over too a straight vertical down pipe were the sprinkler head is located . no surge tubes they would kill the space in my precious engine compartment. 17 years later no problem
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Was it the mini max baffles

Was it the high rise risers

Was it the motors running providing positive exhaust pressure pushing potential incoming water out

Or was it a combination of the three, two or…

I
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I think on of the added benefits of surge tubes is a little quieter exhaust.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue