Finally started getting some work done!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Finally started getting some work done!

Post by Kevin »

Hello Faithful. I hope everyone is doing well.

I sure have missed the recreational boating life and the company on this forum. My son and I started working on the boat after a long hiatus. He said he really missed following me around while I was free diving trying to shoot hogs and grouper. The last time we did that was 2019 and he was only six years old. Yesterday he mixed his first batch of resin.

I finally took the shafts out and started prepping for new stern tubes and dripless seals. The angle was a bit caddywampus on one of the tubes so time for a redo. Replacing the couplers as well. I don't miss the FB ITCH but I am oddly attracted doing glass work. I guess some things never change. I need to make it better, the enemy of good! Once all that is done I will have some paint work to do from the rub rail up to include the cockpit. The Florida sun did its thing to the topside after 13 years. The hull still looks great other than the heavy layer of dust from the shop. At least it is sitting inside and it sure makes it easier to work on.

I spoke with Carl's dad the other day. He gave me some pointers on thermostat replacement in the Steyr engines in the event I ever have to do it. We were laughing at the absurd price of parts these days but I guess everything has gone sideways in the consumer market.
Preston Burrows

Re: Finally started getting some work done!

Post by Preston Burrows »

Great to see a post from you Kevin!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kevin

Welcome back. You know, just because you weren't playing with the boat didn't mean you should stay away. It would be great to see some of the old crew come back even to just say hello.

So, whatever you do, don't drop out of site again.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Good to hear from you Kevin, As Tony said no need to be a stranger just cause your not in boating mode.

Hope all is well, glad to see the boat is back in the picture for you. Although starting with a Project is a tough way to start in my book. I agree glass work is kinda fun, making something out of nothing gives a nice warm feeling inside. Make a mistake, the grinder allows you to start over. The itch tells you to get it right, so you don't have to grind heavy again.

Dad and the thermostat... Yup. I have been given the pointers as well. I'm now quite familiar with changing the Steyr thermostat and not mixing up the installation of little screws with the longer ones as the housing will not seal. Steyrs are great motors, too bad they messed up the customer service end of it. High prices, hard-to-get parts, (AKA stocked overseas) and they put the screws to the dealers (at least that is the story I heard) so many want little to do with them it seems. I believe one of the few dealers/mechanics is still down around you...a big plus is being able to call and ask someone knowledgeable.

Paint...yep, I'm overdue on needing that too.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Hi Kevin, nice to see you back!

And do not forget OUR comparative advantage!!!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I will do better at staying in touch. Guilty as charged!
I have the new couplers in place with the shafts fitted to them. The new tubes are measured and about ready for final install. Not glassed in yet that will be next week hopefully. This weekend is a no go for boat stuff. Son has MX race so pit dad duty for me.
neil

Post by neil »

Kevin,good to see you back,the time you spend with your kid is priceless whether it be on a bike or a boat
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Kevin,

Its sounds like we are in the general area. My boat is docked on the ICW just north of the PGA bridge. Stop by sometimes.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Rick I made a run down there yesterday and saw a 31 that was on the east side of the icw in the water. Light blue color in the water. Sharp looking boat. Is that you?
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Kevin wrote: Feb 23rd, '24, 22:43 Rick I made a run down there yesterday and saw a 31 that was on the east side of the icw in the water. Light blue color in the water. Sharp looking boat. Is that you?
That is me!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Good to have you back Kevin!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Good to be back! I did not get anymore work on the boat done last week. But I know where to find it when I have some time........